housing contract and housing issues

<p>My son received an email that says he should return the housing contract no later than March 1. But everything I am reading online seems to say May 1. Why the early date? Is this because he is oos?</p>

<p>Also, a few questions about housing choices. I have spent hours looking through past threads, and have a general idea of the differences, but it is hard to get a complete picture. At first, I thought Chadbourne sounded like a good choice, but there are comments about nerdy, socially awkward kids. I think he would like Lakeshore area, but there are comments about how these dorms are not very social, or the rooms are not conducive to interactions. </p>

<p>So.... which dorms might be a good choice for an oos kid who does not party (as far as I know, of course), is social, but not great at initiating new friendships (so needs an environment that facilitates that)? He tends toward the nerdy side and is planning on a Computer science major,but in high school his friends run the gamut (so, not an extreme nerd). As it seems like many kids move off campus after the first year, I would think that the first year dorm is important as it is the most likely place to make new friends with whom to get future apt-mates.</p>

<p>If he wants a single room (haven't discussed that yet) and lists dorms with singles at the top of his ranking, will this jeopardize his chance of getting a dorm he wants? ie if there is very little probability of getting a single (?),then might it not hurt chances to get a desired double hall by ranking it lower?</p>

<p>As we have not even visited the school yet, and probably won't until late march, this is a lot to sort through for a potential college choice. I know that the dorm choices can be changed up to May 1, but would like to start sifting through this now. He is still waiting for half of his decisions to come through. So, I appreciate the help.</p>

<p>Parent of OOS freshman boy here, will try to help with what I know.</p>

<p>Contract and deposit is due by March 1 for everyone, regardless of instate/OOS. Housing prefernces – ranking of each dorm etc – is due by May 1 and can be revised up until May 1. </p>

<p>If you don’t enroll at UW, you can get a bunch of deposit back, not sure how much. Housing assignments are not made based on first in, so there is only a reason to pay by March 1 to assure an on-campus spot, no advantage in paying early because it doesn’t get you a better selection.</p>

<p>Chad is a very nice dorm, centrally located in southeast and very close to academic buildings, with food in the dorm so, in winter like now, students don’t have to leave building to eat. We toured it, and I thought it was great – my son was turned off because I liked it (that was the way of our relationship last spring . . . .). Plenty of normal kids in Chad, nothing to fear. As an LLC (living learning community), the advantage of Chad is you get to actually pick your specific room, you don’t go into random lottery. Bradley – which is part of the Chad LLC, a dorm right next door to Chad – has singles but I don’t know the chances of a freshman getting them. I heard it was more sophomores etc in Bradley.</p>

<p>As someone who is not great at initiating friendships, an LLC could be just the support that your son would appreciate in meeting new people, as the students clustered together in an LLC share some substantive interest. So, I would suggest spending time reading up on the different LLCs. Again, I loved the structure that Chad as an LLC provided – lots of events that students could participate in and find themselves meeting people. At 600+ students, Chad/Bradley typically has more than enough space so I think if you list it your first choice, you generally get it. </p>

<p>Someone with more experience than myself in the dorm lottery would need to address whether it is riskier to ask for single and then risk getting a double in a dorm which is far down your list of preferences because freshman are unlikely to get singles.</p>

<p>My son is a freshman OOS at Bradley. He chose it because he wanted to live in Lakeshore. He is from a big city in California so thought it would be a change to live near a lake. If you do choose a learning community, you do get to choose your dorm room and most likely if you list the learning community as your first choice you will definitely get it as your residence hall. When my son and I toured UW last fall, we had a dorm tour of both Chadborne and Bradley. Chadbourne is considered by many on campus to be very centrally located. I thought the dorms were very small. The woman who took us on our tour told us Chadbourne had a lot of international students as well as music majors due to the fact they provided lots of academic support for international students in that residence hall as well as being close to the music buildings. </p>

<p>Bradley is a learning community and there are only freshman in it. No sophomores or upperclassmen unless you count the House Fellows (RA’s). It is a nice community and they provide tons of social activities on a weekly basis for its residents. You can participate as much or as little as you like. I do not believe there are any singles in Bradley, only doubles with community bathroom down the hall. I think it is a highly social hall. People keep their dorm rooms open and especially in the first few weeks it is very easy to meet new people and make new friends.</p>

<p>One thing you might consider about a possible request for a single room. I was talking about this to a friend of mine recently with regards to her son. Her son is a bit socially awkward and has a hard time reaching out to people to initiate friendships. She thought he might do better with a single room because of that. But as I pointed out, if you live in a single room, you have to get out of your room to meet people more than you do if you have a roommate. Because if you are the only one in the room, no other people are brought into the room by the roommate, and so you have to get out of your room and initiate contact to meet people. When my other son was a freshman at his college, there was a guy on his floor who by default got stuck with a single. It was just a little big bigger than a closet, with just enough space for a bed and desk, and my son said this boy was always outside of his room and walking up and down the hallways trying to meet people. Something to keep in mind.</p>

<p>By the way, Bradley is not part of the Chad LLC. It is its own learning community and not next to Chadbourne. Chadbourne is in the Southeast neighborhood of campus and Bradley is in the Lakeshore neighborhood.</p>

<p>Oops, my mistake, I mixed up the “B” dorms – Barnard has a lot of singles, and is part of Chad Residential college even though it is the building next door to Chad. Bradley is in Lakeshore. . . . Sorry for the confusion.</p>

<p>Thanks so much, MidwestMom and Rousse. That was really very helpful. Midwest, I was a little concerned about the LLC aspect because I didn’t know how much my son would want to participate in all the extras. But, as you point out, that is a way to get them involved with other students. And I do think that it would help for him to have a group to which he feels he belongs- from the start. Rousse, your caution about selecting a single room was really invaluable. I had not thought of it that way, but you are right. A roommate could bring in a whole other group of potential friends. </p>

<p>I had been thinking barnard, chad,or bradley from my reading online. Your comments have made me think we are on the right track. </p>

<p>Are the other Lakeshore dorms really far from where most classes are held? And, is it colder (ie with wind) to live there? My son doesn’t think that the cold will be a problem, but he doesn’t know from cold- we’re from Seattle. Rousse, how is your son adjusting to the weather, being from CA?</p>

<p>The one complaint about Lakeshore is that it is far away from everything. I do not know the exact distances, but I think to most classes it could be anywhere from a 10-20 minute walk to various buildings. Maybe a little longer to State Street… There is a bus that transports students all through the campus and the nearest bus stop is just like a block or less from Bradley.</p>

<p>We are from Los Angeles so my son is REALLY not used to the cold and he is adjusting. The good news is that winter break is a month long so for three weeks out of four in January, the coldest month in Madison, he was home here in LA. However, since he has been back it has been very cold, like 5 degrees often with a negative temperature with the wind chill factor. We bought him a very warm jacket in October when we visited him, just ordered him some wool socks online this past week. Basically he is handling it pretty well with layering and wearing socks and hats and scarves. He does say it is very cold and you just do not spend that much time outside in those temperatures. He actually likes the snow and the crispness of the air, but he does say some days are very windy near the lake and he does hate those windy days! </p>

<p>If you have any more questions feel free to ask away. Or send me a private message if you like. Good luck with your son’s college decision! Where else has he applied?</p>

<p>Officially, people say that Lakeshore and Southeast are more or less the same distance from the main academic buildings though I think southeast “feels” closer because it is in the midst of lots of other buildings and is much closer to State St and the "action. </p>

<p>People tend to have strong reactions one way or the other – they either love Lakeshore (me) and yawn at southeast, or the reverse (my son). If you are going to visit in the spring, just let your son take it in and see his reaction.</p>

<p>Congrats to your son, UW is an incredible place.</p>

<p>Thank you both for your input. Yes, Midwestmom, I got the impression that the "official"position was that the two residential communities are equidistant from classes. I looked at a few random courses in my son’s field in the time schedule, and it did seem that Southeast would be somewhat closer. But I think he would like the calmer environment of Lakeshore. We’ll have to see when we visit. And thanks for the congrats:) UW was the top of the list in my husband’s and my view because we both know it from grad school searches. My son is not entirely engaging in this process. It was fine when it was all hypothetical, but I think it’s a little scarier to be facing a decision in 3 months. I am hoping that an admitted student visit will change that!</p>

<p>Mommeleh – this senior year is a roller coaster, and they change so much over the course of the year. It is just February – a time last year when I had a hard time imagining my son living on his own etc. He was not deeply engaged in the college app process – happy to go to our state flagship until he visited UW in Dec of his senior year when he was knocked over by how much he loved it. We went to an admitted students day in March, where he was a bit nervous because these were actually going to be his peers. He met some people there, then met more on the FB page. By the end of school year and then certainly over the summer, he was ready to be out on his own. He has adapted well to college life, admits he is working harder than he ever has and enjoys his classes. Even these late-bloomers get there, though they sure make their moms crazy!</p>

<p>Dorm choice rankings first to last can be revised until May 1st so he should not worry about choosing the “wrong” dorms. The major lifestyle decision is probably location- Southeast or Lakeshore. There are pros and cons to each dorm- it becomes a matter of personal preference. Remember it is HIS, not your, choice. There is no wrong choice. Most students do not live in a learning community, it is not necessary for anyone. He should look at what is involved in one and decide if it seems right for him.</p>

<p>Look at the dorm choices. Think about the area, not in relation to classroom buildings (especially since his class section could meet in a building not associated with its department), but as a place to relax and unwind. Does the highrise/big city environment seem best, or does some trees and grass seem more comfortable? Old or new? Room layout- this can be found on the Res Halls site, the lofting guide has extra pictures. Dining facilities- can eat anywhere but some prefer being closer to snack bars or dining halls. Access to State St or Picnic Point for quick stress relief walks. There are libraries for studying all over campus.</p>

<p>Many variables. Do not stress over his choices. Every dorm is maintained the same and has equivalent amenities. All dorms he can be in will be more than 50% freshmen (most returning residents are sophomores and will have picked the best rooms in each dorm) so he will have plenty of peers any place he chooses. He will meet students in his classes he may choose to live with the following year, in the dorms or an apartment. </p>

<p>Eons ago I chose dorms far from college friends- we liked different ones and made the trek from Lakeshore to SE many times. Good exercise. Son was in Liz Waters- a runner within 2 blocks of all of his classes!</p>

<p>btw- once he is admitted being OOS is irrelevant. The system doesn’t know or care where a student is from. It is only for paying bills that it matters.</p>

<p>Midwestmom, I think I will print out your most recent post and hold it in my pocket. You hit it on the head regarding what is making me worry. I was just thinking how different my two kids are. My daughter wanted to visit a school on the east coast in fall of her hs senior year. I put her on a plane, she met a friend in boston for a few days. They put her on a train, she found her school, interviewed, got back to the airport and home. My son leaves for school in the morning and i have to remind him to take his backpack. So, add to those worries the concern that he find his people at college, and i am a bit nervous. I take comfort in your words: hopefully there will be a lot of growing up before September. I want him to go to an admitted student day, but the Feb date does not work well for him, and I don’t want to wait til late March. We may visit before then, although, as you say, it is good for them to see the kids who actually plan to attend.</p>

<p>wis, I stress over everything! My son did say he didn’t think highrises were for him, and he might like living along the lake. We’ll just have to get there and see. Thanks for the tip to look at the lofting guide for pics.</p>

<p>“It is only for paying bills that [being oos] matters.” That’s a pretty big “only” :)</p>

<p>Paying the bills is a parental thing- not a concern for your son in his campus living. No difference in housing or classes- no preferential treatment for instate students. There will be students on very tight budgets and those with plenty. </p>

<p>I preferred Lakeshore and so chose those dorms. Son got Liz and was there 2 years. I can cite good and bad about every dorm- all a matter of personal preference. It helps to realize the whole campus is a student’s territory and that it is only a rental, and only for nine months. </p>

<p>I also worried about son’s ability to cope with college life given his HS habits. Parents heard the extra loud alarm down the hall and had to wake him up etc. Motivation makes a huge difference in areas that count. Of course tidiness didn’t so his dorm and apts were disaster sites (why use the bookshelves and towel bars when there are other spaces available?).</p>

<p>It will all work out.</p>

<p>Yes,true. </p>

<p>I looked at some of the photos for various dorm rooms and it seems that tidiness is not a high priority for any of these kids :slight_smile: Gives me the shakes to imagine living in such a small space filled with clutter. They seem to survive, though. Hopefully, I won’t see any of it when DS skypes home!</p>

<p>IF your son agrees to Skype! My two sons are at two different out of state colleges, and they both refuse to Skype me. We get by on weekly phone calls and an occasional text. </p>

<p>I think when you make a visit to UW, your son will discover which part of campus he prefers, the Lakeshore or Southeast. It is all up to a person’s personal preference. My son who is at UW thought he would enjoy living near a lake for a change of pace. He is from a big city so the Southeast area seemed more of what he was used to. He wanted to try something different for his freshman year. He has already found an apartment for next year and today signed the lease for the place, so he will only be living near the lake for a few more months.</p>

<p>Yes, Rousse. You are probably right: I don’t really imagine my son will agree to skype. And phone conversations tend to be monosyllabic grunts. Boy, is my heart going to be broken…</p>

<p>We can examine all the charts comparing dorms and look at campus maps, but I think you are right. He will know when he visits. We just have to figure out when!</p>

<p>Congrats on the lease signing. Now you are onto the next phase. Very exciting.</p>

<p>Another resource is a birdseye view map - Google and Bing. Also street view. These don’t show hills very well, however. Don’t worry about hills- there are many and part of campus life.</p>