housing contract waitlist

<p>hey so i was recently admitted to wisconsin off the waitlist. i received an email asking if i would like to be on the housing waitlist. since it's so late, do i still have a good shot at getting on-campus housing?</p>

<p>You could, but you never really know where you’ll end up, and it may be extended housing. If you get a chance to visit madison, I’d also see the private dorms while you’re there. If there are still spaces in them you can pick exactlyw here you’ll be living, which is pretty nice.</p>

<p>See other topics on first-year housing. Nobody really knows when it comes to the wait lists.</p>

<p>I also have the same question. Because of this, I may not be attending anymore. I was also just accepted off of the waitlist, and was now planning on attending. But I may just stick with my original choice if I don’t get off of this housing waiting list any time soon…</p>

<p>There are many good housing choices outside the UW dorms. I would not let that be the decision point. Some even prefer the privates.</p>

<p>Do you have any good links describing all of the different housing options? I can’t seem to find much information.</p>

<p>I definitely would prefer University Housing to the privates though.</p>

<p>Google: The Towers, Statesider, Lucky 101, Presbyterian House</p>

<p>Pres House is not a private dorm. In any way. Regardless of the bull they fed to Spencer Black to make them tax exempt. They’re apartments–and should pay property taxes. NOT A DORM AND DEFINITELY NOT A GOOD FIRST-YEAR EXPERIENCE.</p>

<p>You can check out Towers, Statesider, or the Campus Connect properties: Highlander House, Regent101, or Lucky101. </p>

<p>Definitely a lot of options, make sure if youw ant a “college dorm experience” you go the private residence hall route, and not just regular apartments.</p>

<p>What makes you say Pre House is not as private dorm–it CERTAINLY is. Yes it is a religion centered private dorm but still a private dorm.</p>

<p>[Pres</a> House](<a href=“http://www.preshouse.org/sth.main.cfm]Pres”>http://www.preshouse.org/sth.main.cfm)</p>

<p>[Wisconsin</a> Alumni Association  - Pres House](<a href=“http://www.uwalumni.com/home/chaptersandaffiliates/Affiliates/prehouse/prehouse_homepage.aspx]Wisconsin”>http://www.uwalumni.com/home/chaptersandaffiliates/Affiliates/prehouse/prehouse_homepage.aspx)</p>

<p>I don’t think PresHouse has a House Fellows/Residence Life Staff/Life-in-Staff. What makes a building a “dorm” is debatable but a live-in support staff is a pretty good general guideline. All the other “privates” listed by MNBadger advertise a residence life staff (though some are less obvious than others). Faith based living is an option for sure but I wouldn’t count the listed staff as House Fellow types and wouldn’t count PresHouse as a dorm. Private housing living option yes, private dorm no.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Wisconsin is fairly liberal about giving housing an exemption from property taxes. Just look at all the extravagent senior housing complexes that qualify. I would guess that being owned by a non-profit (PCUSA), and housing low income people (students), would be tought not to give it property tax exemption.</p>

<p>Do not worry about expanded housing- you are a part of dorm life. Those housed in the Short Course dorms will be moved to regular rooms first as they need that space for the ag school students coming in. Those in dens sometimes actually like them more- they are a part of the house and may have extra space. The disadvantage of applying for Res Halls is in needing to apply for private housing later if you don’t get off the waiting list. Any place you sign a lease with will not release you from it so if you secure a private place you are committed to it. However, by now the big rush to find apts is over so the choices won’t change that much in the next two months. I noticed Pres House still had a lot of openings recently- son had planned on visiting their open house until I reminded him of the religious nature (atheists don’t want that, he’s gone from dorms to apt roommates so has experience with living in Madison and UW). He’s set where he wants to be. There are still plenty of single living spaces available, but an incoming student would probably do much better with dorm life- public or private- rather than an apt. BTW- apts need a guarantor (think parents) so you should discuss this with them.</p>

<p>Pre House has ROOJAHS which serve the same functions as RA’s. There also are pastors and other staff unlike most apartments. The Pres House offers many group activities just like the dorms. It’s not for everyone but the building and location are great.</p>

<p>All this is very confusing,</p>

<p>If I don’t get off of the waiting list for university housing, what are my options?</p>

<p>I want a roommate, and I want to be “a part of everything”. I want the university housing experience & I don’t want to pay more for housing than the dorms cost. What can I look into?</p>

<p>You’ll very likely get off the waitlist as freshman enrollment is right on target and not over this year. The private dorms are pretty much the same as the publics ones and most have as good or better locations vis a vis the Union, State street, the main library, etc. The costs are not that different either if you stick with the basics. The private dorms will have opening right through 1st Semester so no worries.</p>

<p>One word about location- being near State St et al isn’t necessary as well as being too close can be noisier, and the other libraries are just as good for studying. If you would prefer the public dorms to other choices do get on the waiting list. You can check on chances for a place via email as the summer continues and then make your final decision. There will be private housing spots available in August based on past years. If Res Halls didn’t think you had a chance at their dorms they wouldn’t have a spot on the waiting list. I would be very cautious in answering ads for roommates outside of the formal private dorms/apts method- especially being new to campus.</p>

<p>I’ve been looking at all the private dorm options, and I think I may go with statesider. Anyone have any experiences/opinions on statesider or any of the other private dorms?</p>

<p>Also, what exactly are the stereotypes of people from Lucky/Statesider/The Towers?</p>

<p>I know there will be exceptions, but just curious.</p>

<p>Both my kids, daughter last year and son four years ago lived in Statesider. They loved it. Big rooms, suite sharing a bathroom, good work out room, all freshman, great location. That said, it is mainly OOS students with the majority being Jewish. We are from Illinois and Jewish. They both made good friends there, my son lived with his original roommate/suitemate for 4 years (one from MN, one from CA), sophmore year in a frat and junior and senior years in a house. My son likes to party, my daughter not so much, and they both were happy at Statesider.</p>

<p>Thanks for the review, Pawn.</p>

<p>Regarding the housing waiting list, I just gave them a call this morning. They have not resorted to the list yet, and that they most likely won’t. We’re in order based on date of admittance.</p>