Housing Deposit / Enrollment Deposit

The question may seem obvious, but here goes:

Must you accept (and pay $200? deposit for) admissions enrollment before you can pay the $300 housing deposit?

If it matters, the context here is that S18 has several applications (and financial implications) at other universities that he will not hear back on for months. If there is minimal risk (the nonrefundable $25 portion of the housing fee) that is a small price to pay for the insurance of having the housing deposit and spot in line submitted early. S18 also needs to officially hear back on H and CBH.

Hope the question makes sense.

Quick question that I thought wasn’t important enough to make a new thread on. How do I view my scholarship on mybama? I got my admissions letter about 4 days ago but can’t see my award on the portal.

The $200 enrollment deposit is non-refundable:

https://gobama.ua.edu/deposit/

@bigdadreed
Yes - thats the point of the issue.

The HOUSING deposit is $300, of which $25 is refundable. But you can not make the housing deposit until you make the NON REFUNDABLE enrollment deposit of $200. Lame, if you are considering a couple schools, and also awaiting information not available until much later, for example, results of RRSP applications or scholarships at other schools.

@DavidPuddy

$275 of housing deposit is refundable ($25 non-refundable).

yep, in my attempt to be clear, missed the “non” in front of that “refundable” as it relates to the $25.

One of those days …

I’d like a little clarification of this process, please!

1. By paying the enrollment deposit in order to get in line for housing and its deposit, my D18 isn’t committed to Bama, correct? The UA Housing FAQ encourages kids to do this even if they’re undecided:

https://housing.sa.ua.edu/incoming-residents/freshman-faqs/

Note the part under “Contract Release Process” where it specifically mentions to sign up even if you have not made a final decision on which college to attend.

1. Paying the enrollment deposit won’t affect her applications to other colleges? Basically, the other colleges won’t see that she paid an enrollment deposit at Bama and reject her application, correct?

The priority housing deadline is coming up next week (Feb 1) and we’re trying to decide what to do about it. D18 would get the NMF package at Bama so she’s very seriously considering going there … it’s just that there are more applications out that won’t be decided until sometime in March.

Thanks

Edit: cost is not an issue, so we’re not concerned about the deposits and refunds, just the commitment issue and how that interacts with other college applications.

You have to pay the enrollment deposit before you pay the housing. I don’t think it makes a difference for other colleges

No, will not cause an issue with the other schools she is waiting on. You would be surprised how many kids change their minds in the spring and even all the way up until move-in!

Correct, the only thing costs you is money…

@FullRideHopeful you should get a letter soon with merit award if you qualify. In March the final packages will go out & the portal will be updated.