Housing Exemption

I am transferring to Indiana University of Pennsylvania from a community college. I am transferring with 43 credit which doesn’t allow me to live off campus without and exemption. I didn’t know this when I gave my deposit and now am torn because I was supposed to live of campus with my partner. I have applied for an exemption but it doesn’t seem like it’s getting approved. I don’t know if I am able to get married and then file for another exemption request and hope that gets approved or do I just sign up for on campus housing but actually not use it and live with my partner off campus? Please help!! Very stressed!!

You need to contact the university and ask them about this. They know the details.

I have and they just tell me I need an exemption from on campus housing

Call the housing office and ask what they need for the exemption.

Exceptions Will be Made for Students Who:
commute no more than 35 miles from the home of their parents or guardian,
are married,
have dependent children living with them,
are veterans of military service, or
are 21 years of age or older.
Students requesting an exemption to the IUP on-campus living residency requirement must complete a Residency Requirement Exemption Request Form, available online and at the Office of Housing, Residential Living, and Dining in Ruddock Hall. -https://www.iup.edu/housing/forms/housing-policies/residency-requirement/

This is what they list as the reasons for an exemption, I do not qualify for any of them. I have already submitted one exemption letter just giving them reasons why I should live off campus that also meet their reasons for the residency policy, but I received an email already asking for how many credits I will be transferring with. So, it doesn’t sound like they even cared about my letter. I’m just trying to figure out what I should do next and if anyone else has been in this situation and what they have done.

@darkserenity a quick look at their website says freshman need to live on campus. If you’re transferring 43 credits, you wouldn’t be considered a freshman. I think when they say 2 semester on campus requirement, they mean your first 2 semesters as a freshman. That’s probably why they want to know how many credits you have.

@NJWrestlingmom but it says too that transfer students need "
Transfer students with fewer than 60 credits have a four-semester residency requirement to live on campus, or until 60 credits are earned."

I didn’t see that; then it sounds like you are stuck until you hit the 60, unless they grant the waiver. Can you afford to pay for on campus housing and meals AND the off campus?

Can you defer your acceptance to next fall/year and stay at the community college another semester/year until you have 60 credits?

Otherwise it might take you 3 years at IUP to get your 120 credits for a bachelor’s.