Housing move-in tips 2019

I live here and my kids felt that I would see them all of the time. I haven’t seen my son since this semester started, lol. We talk or text every day, but haven’t seen the boy. So tell your kiddos from Houston, they are safe from you and they’ll appreciate how easy it is to go home if and when they want to!

White Creek is very nice as is the new community center across the street.

We went apartment hunting for fall of 2020 (some may say we are early, but every complex we went to said we were smart to get a jumpstart because popular floorplans can sell out by the previous December). Daughter is going into dorms for freshman year this fall, but she and her friends have specific apartment desires. Anyway, we found some winners but Hudson apartments were a no-go before the tour could even start. 5 visitor spots all taken and the tour person said we’d have to park on the metered street parking if we wanted a tour. If they can’t provide parking for prospective tenants, I guess they aren’t all that interested in prospective tenants. Left there and went to the next complex with TONS of visitor parking and very happy to meet with us!

@Chemengmom you’re not putting down a deposit already, are you? My daughter will be a freshman this Fall also, living in the dorm. She barely knows who she’s rooming with, much less who she wants to live with as a soph. If your daughter is going thru sorority rush, most sophomores live in the sorority house.
Totally agree tho-if a complex can’t even provide parking for future/potential renters, that’s a big NO. I understand parking is a huge issue at Park West.

@chemengmom I wouldn’t not put down a deposit for the sophomore year. That’s crazy. Too much can happen. We will not run out of great housing, so really wouldn’t worry about it… especially now.

No deposits at all. We had a list of about 10 potential places she was interested in. We looked at most all of them just to narrow the list down to about 3. This way, come November, and after hopefully meeting people that actually live in these complexes, she can make a final desicion and sign a lease. We went now because we didn’t want to do this in the summer heat, and in the fall, she’ll be too busy with school to do this. We have narrowed it down to Sterling, Aspire, Ucenter, and Northpoint Crossing. We really, really liked Sterling, but I’m nervous about her walking/biking to class in crappy weather since it’s one of the farthest. I don’t want her having any excuse not to go to class! ?

I would stay away from NP crossing simply because it is extremely loud. The rooms aren’t that big either and price is about the same as others for less. And lol… she won’t miss class momma.

Thanks for the tip! It was the farthest so it was 4th on her list.

Does anyone know when Howdy week is for 2019? I can’t seem to find info on it (and what is it?)

Howdy week is the week prior to school starting.

AND it typically starts with events on Sunday afternoon… like a pizza party etc. Nothing is mandatory and most kids pick and choose things throughout the week. This is RUSH week if your student is going Greek.

Thanks!!! @AggieMomhelp I signed a lease today for my daughter to live at Northgate Crossing but the move in is not until Aug 22, so it looks like she might miss a few days of the event. Is this a big deal do you think? She is not rushing a sorority.

We received an email about move in day for dorms is Sunday, August 18th. Does anyone know what time? Do they assign windows of time? Would my daughter be missing out if we moved her in on Monday, August 19th? My husband is a pastor so taking off a Sunday for move in is not ideal!

@TXRunningMom when did you receive an email about dorms? Did it go to you or your child?

@52AG82 , my daughter and I each received it from housing residence life at 6:47 pm. It had a timeline of dates for room assignments, roommates, and stuff.

@txrunnerj akkkk! We haven’t gotten that email.
Your daughter will be on campus in College Station?

UPDATE! Ours just came thru at 8:23. Thanks for the heads up.

@TXRunningMom I don’t know where you live, but I might suggest paying the $50 fee to move in a day early, if that would still give you time to drive home for worship the next day? I guess you could wait until Monday, but there wouldn’t be any students around to help, and you might be the only ones.
We will be paying the $50 day early fee, as my daughter will be going thru rush.
Maybe someone else can chime in?

@52AG82 , oh, I think my husband would gladly pay $50 for her to be able to move in early. Do you know how we arrange for that? Is it a pretty easy thing to do?

@TXRunningMom I understand it is easy to do, and was suggested by friends who rushed last year. I’m sure there will be more instructions about it, once we know housing placement, etc. Just file that idea away as a potential option.

@TXRunningMom @52AG82 Here is the PDF from Howdy Week fall 2018 that will show you what kind of things go on. https://studentlife.tamu.edu/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/Howdy-Week-Schedule-18-for-web2.pdf?_ga=2.128865484.1996219574.1539621132-1092861901.1533479041

My son’s freshman year, he moved in on Wednesday of Howdy week. He was on a trip to Monterrey Motor week in CA and didn’t get back until Monday night, the first day of Howdy Week. Packed Tuesday and moved into dorm on Wednesday. He still had plenty to do and also hang with his Fish Camp group.

It was GREAT moving in without the crowds. Remember though, while it is fun getting a bunch of stuff for the dorm, they aren’t that spacious and it is way more fun putting it in. It all must come out within 24 hours of the last university final. That isn’t quite as fun.

@TXlove, no, many students miss this week and it’s primarily freshmen that go even though every college student loves free food, lol. So missing isn’t a big deal.

@TXRunningMom I would highly encourage you to move in on Monday!!! miss the crowded hallways and parking lots! People move in all week long but the influx is the first day. @whitecreek last year we had a timeslot, but I haven’t heard of anyone else doing that. Would make sense to though just to cut down on traffic.

I highly suggest bringing a dolly. Soooo helpful. Some dorms will have them to loan out, but it’s first come…

FYI for those doing team or rellis engineering. The driving time from entrance of rellis to tamu main campus in a private car is less than 10 minutes. I just drove it on my way into town and put a stopwatch to it. I made my hubby drive the speed limit too lol

Yes the bus will take longer but you’ll get closer to the building you want vs finding a parking spot (potentially).