Housing Preferences

<p>We're getting closer and closer to the new year, so I'm curious as to what everyone's housing preferences are (even if you haven't officially listed them yet).</p>

<p>I'll list only my top six (to spare a long list):</p>

<p>1 Slichter Hall
2 Elizabeth Waters Hall
3 Cole Hall
4 Sullivan Hall
5 Kronshage Hall
6 Chadbourne Residential College</p>

<p>My opinions are ever changing, though. =P I really hope to get into at least one of my top four, though I'm not counting on it.</p>

<p>And if anyone has some input on mentioned halls, I'd like to hear it too. ;P</p>

<p>All good. My faves are Liz and CRC.</p>

<p>how do you choose?</p>

<p>01jttma, If you're asking how I submitted my preferences, you should have received an email from UW Madison entitled "UW-Madison, University Residence Halls - Submit Your Preferences" after you've signed and mailed the Housing Contract they send you (via snail mail). The email directed you to <a href="http://www.housing.wisc.edu/assignment/%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.housing.wisc.edu/assignment/&lt;/a> where you can list your preferences.</p>

<p>Personally choosing them, I put a lot of thought into it. Location, reputation, reviews, amenities, the booklets/website, etc.</p>

<p>thanks for the quick response. i was referring to how you personally made your choices but i guess it was pretty vague. where did you find reputations and reviews?</p>

<p>Hm, I didn't save all of the websites I used, mostly because there wasn't many (and Firefox likes to delete my favorites every so often).</p>

<p>Collegeotr.com had some reviews (which gave some pretty good, although probably biased, info, especially on Kronshage). Yahoo! answers yielded a few results. I talked to people I know that go there (which is quite a few people), and there's even a few tidbits of information here on some of the older threads.</p>

<p>Looking at the maps they gave helped me a lot to, to see where everything was located.</p>

<p>awesome thanks</p>

<p>There are threads here which discuiss the various dorms.</p>

<p>I'm very much aware, but my interest is in people's preferences and whether or not they've decided, not simply which dorms are the best and worst.</p>

<p>Southeast is better..end of story
1. Smith
2. ogg
3. Sellery
4. Witte
5. Elizabeth Waters</p>

<p>why?</p>

<p>10char</p>

<p>Zouman, I totally beg to differ. =P</p>

<p>I do like all of those halls though, save for Sellery. I don't know what I have against Sellery. =/</p>

<p>SE!!! Smith and Ogg are what me and my roomate are hoping to get into.</p>

<p>vvvvaaaapppp, SE is okay. I feel less opposed to SE than I used to, but LS has my heart. ;)</p>

<p>Smith and Ogg look *really *nice, though.</p>

<p>Id rather be in the SE but Liz is just so perfect for me...i really hope I end up there. Im a bit shaky on ogg and smith....i heared they arent very social. O and is it true that in chad every floor is single sex??</p>

<p>I think my rankings currently look like this:</p>

<p>1.Liz
2.Witte
3.Sellery
4.Chad
5.Ogg
6.Smith</p>

<p>what are the better Lakeshore dorms? Just for rankings sake...</p>

<p>See the other dorm threads. Only you can decide which is "best", it varies from person to person. Liz is one of the most popular dorms- location and room size, so be sure your next choices are the ones you want. Lakeshore versus Southeast is your main decision, decide that first, then examine the features, locations of those within your chosen category. BTW, even Liz has some less desireable rooms- it can be a long distance from one part to another, without elevators (a lot of horizontal, up a level, over...no elevator can do this), gloomy north first floor... you can be sure the best rooms are already taken by returning residents so be aware that no dorm is perfect.</p>

<p>I want to make sure again...housing assignment are not based on first come first serve? right?</p>

<p>cause since I got postponed at first...I only recieved my housing stuff recently.</p>

<p>Lottery.............</p>

<p>Right- everyone with a contract will be in the lottery with equal chances. Other schools give priority to your date of applying, but UW does not. The computer plugs away at the data received and makes the assignments- the data being your name, gender and the ranked list of dorms you submit (roommate requests figure into it somehow- not sure whose lottery number prevails). Good luck to all.</p>