Housing question

<p>At the risk of sounding dimwitted, our daughter was recently admitted to UW-Madison and yesterday received her housing information along with a form to return with a $50 deposit to reserve a place in the lottery.</p>

<p>Does this mean she's guaranteed some sort of on campus housing? I ask because I know that there's a housing shortage, and I think I read somewhere that once they run out of space they'll quit sending out housing apps after admissions.</p>

<p>Thanks.</p>

<p>As far as I know, yes. Earlier the better though.</p>

<p>yes it holds a spot for her. It is refundable if she decides not to attend. I highly recommend sending it in before the deadline.</p>

<p>Yes- a signed contract gives her housing, pay attention to the deadline on her forms, though and all of the fine print. They are very clear about things in their literature, with a checklist.</p>

<p>I am a bit worried about the whole housing situation myself. Should I get accepted and choose to attend UW, I would definitley want to go the dorms route, but I don't know when I will get my acceptance and housing stuff. I did not apply by the priority deadline (applied late November) and I have no idea when I'll get word back about my status. If I recieved my acceptance, but it was after the housing deadline, would I be screwed out of housing? In that case would I have to do private housing because that would really suck and be more expensive plus less social scene. So can anyone tell me when deadline is for accepted kids and if I should get accepted/denied before this. Thanks a lot!</p>

<p>Private housing isn't the worst thing that ever happened. But you should be fine if you send it in immediately upon receipt.</p>

<p>The whole situation is rather confusing and frustrating. It's particularly annoying that since being accepted my daughter has gotten both an email from UW warning her that the private dorms aren't university-owed, along with literature that also advises that only university-owned dorms provide the "authentic Wisconsin experience." It doesn't seem right for UW to bash private housing as inauthentic while at the same time not having enough housing for all freshmen.</p>

<p>Tell that to the state government. They blocked more dorms on campus at the behest of the private dorm owners. OTOH some people gravitate to the private dorms and leave room for all or nearly all that want to be on campus to get the rooms. It works out.</p>

<p>Don't believe all the UW Housing sob stories. I look at some of my friends' floors made up of tons of sophomores. 20% of housing residents return for a second year in housing. If we didn't allow the returning students we would have more than enough room for EVERY first-year student that wants to live with us. Seems to me that if our option is the only "authentic" one, we should be making the CHOICE to offer it to ever freshman that wants it. Housing's a corporation. It's a company. And it's looking to have complete control. Yes, we do what we do exceptionally well, but some of it is bull****. From what I've seen Paul Evans has steered it in a way that isn't necessarily what's best for most UW first-year students.</p>

<p>You're right parent2009, it is an unfortunate scenario.</p>

<p>Right. It's just interesting that we're being badgered (pardon the pun) not to go the private dorm route when there isn't enough housing for all freshmen.</p>

<p>Sounds like the academic side needs to get better control of the housing on campus. They have a tough job keeping the dorms full to payoff the dorm costs and risking that on freshmen who might not show is a problem too.</p>

<p>As an employee of two private residence halls located near the University of Wisconsin Madison campus I would like to begin by stating that I believe it is important for freshman to live on campus and, depending on the circumstance or student profile, I will encourage it. However, there are circumstances leading to the need/want for alternative housing options. First, private residence halls can offer the "wisconsin freshman experience" just as on-campus housing can. Among many other amenities, our residence life program is lead by an amazing team and there are an abundance of activities and events planned both seperately and in conjuction with the University. Second, we are a great option for those who can't get into on-campus housing because we offer all the things a first-year student would need to excel both socially and academically just as on campus housing would. Lastly, we are an alternative option for students looking for more in their housing. Such that, we have private bathrooms and offer single bedrooms (which can be hard to obtain on campus and some people need more privacy than others.) </p>

<p>In all reality, no matter which college a student chooses, on campus housing is always ideal. However, for those interested in something different or cannot get on campus housing, private housing (where I work in particular) strives to continually offer and expand its services so that both students and parents can get the ideal freshman experience without having to make (or feel like they have made) sacrifices. </p>

<p>Regardless of rumor or reputation, private housing is a healthy alternative to on-campus housing. I would encourage all prospective students and their parents to research all of their options before making any final decisions.</p>

<p>Some local private landlords lobbied against more public dorms a few years ago- usually Res Halls fills and the private dorms have vacancies. Politics that led to more private for-profit construction and no added public dorm spaces. Res Halls is self sufficient- not subsidized by the university or taxes. In past years a private concern has had a very similar name and their ad campaign has led to Res Halls countering with words to be sure people know the difference. UW-Madison the academic institution doesn't control Res Halls- unlike some campuses freshmen are not required to live in the dorms. </p>

<p>When you are accepted you also get the Res Halls housing info sent to you with a deadline for applying for the dorms. All instate residents who sign a contract by March 15th (and meet any earlier deadline- it was 2 weeks after acceptance a few years ago) will be in (some state law was passed a while ago to insure spots, probably due to pressure from parents when there were issues) and most likely all OOS students by that date. Those who get admitted later may not be given a contract if the number of probable Res Halls residents is too high. If you have a contract you will have a place in the dorms.</p>

<p>Alt.H... has a nice post. barrons- off the mark.</p>

<p>I have spent time perusing various college websites and think the UW way of doing things is a lot better than most- especially for freshmen. The food service plan (or lack thereof- no minimum payment required) is great- open to all, discounts for dorm residents and open many hours and locations. No ancient, unremodeled dorms or putting 3 people in doubles, etc just to squeeze in every student. A variety of building styles and locations on campus. Of course luxurious rooms and amenities would be nice but not affordable - this is a public school with many students on a budget.</p>

<p>If you sign a contract, you will be in UW housing. As previously stated, residency does factor in as does the date you sign the contract. If your daughter doesn't get a room, she may be put in expanded housing, meaning she'll share a den/floor lounge with other girls or live in a building such as Humphery/Jorns, which are usually used for conference attendees etc. I live on Lakeshore and have numerous friends in expanded housing - as vacancies become available, students in expanded are moved into Res Hall rooms. These vacancies occur throughout the semester - for example, a girl on my floor left a week and half into the year and a new roommate was brought in within a few weeks. Upperclassmen in the dorms also doing study abroad, students transferring out etc. also free up space.</p>

<p>Please show where I was "off the mark". You just disagree with my opinion--that's FAR different. My facts are correct. The Housing Division is no more independent than any other division of the UW and reports to the UW Admin as shown. The VC for admin reports to the Chancellor.</p>

<p>Vice Chancellor for Administration-controls</p>

<p>Office of Budget, Planning and Analysis Business Services Facilities Planning and Management Recreational Sports University Police Department University Health Services University Housing Wisconsin Union</p>

<p>BTW UW Housing has a very spiffy new brochure with all the info you could want:</p>

<p><a href="http://www.housing.wisc.edu/assignment/pdf/0910_viewbook_web_final.pdf%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.housing.wisc.edu/assignment/pdf/0910_viewbook_web_final.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>"better control"- not needed.</p>

<p>And I think it is. If there are indeed academic advantages to the UW dorms (which they claim), especially for Freshman, the academic side should take control of setting dorm priorities. Same if it is key to attracting the best OOS freshmen possible. the acdemis side should be able to call the dorms and tell them, we have this great student and he wants to come to the UW from LA, but only if he gets a dorm on campus. To me that's a no-brainer. You use all your assets when you are competing with other top schools.</p>