Housing Questions

<p>I know there were two late May Bama Bound options for those in the Honors College last year.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Yes, May might be an option (need to see if there is a conflict with IB/AP tests). However, I’ve read that they don’t give kids benefit of the doubt with regards to AP results for tests taken during senior year. Which means he will not have credit for Micro and Macro Economics - both classes that are required for his major and are prerequisites to other required classes. So he will have to fix his schedule anyway in July. </p>

<p>Additionally, it will be added expense. It is very expensive to fly to Birmingham from where we leave. The most economic option is to fly to Atlanta, but from there he will have to rent a car, which no one will rent to him. So either we will have to pay for expensive ticket for him to go to Birmingham or I have to go with him if he flies to Atlanta. </p>

<p>You might look at the Memorial Day (one day Bama Bound) option, too, if pressed for time. It was the very first one offered last year, I believe. My D attended last year’s TWO day honors session with her Dad and they flew into B’ham on Memorial Day and spent the night (both nights) on campus, which was a cheap and close-to-things option. They did the Tuesday full day, then she registered for classes on the second morning. D flew back out on Weds. mid-afternoon and only missed two days of class. She took four APs senior year so she didn’t have the official scores yet either. It was very easy for her to update her schedue herself as soon as they posted…took like 5 secs! We were happy she had gone early because two classes appeared to be full (the times she wanted) and her advisor typed in a code and overrode them both to get her in. Not sure if that is common or because she was at such an early session. I sent my husband along with her to get the spiel on everything himself, too. I had already read about everything I needed to know on cc beforehand-LOL! It was good for him to hear it all and he met some nice parents, too.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>LOL. The only thing my husband knows about AU is that there is no winter. </p>

<p>It turns out he does not even know the difference between AU and AUH. AUH sent us the letter with scholarship offer long time ago. Today we received an official letter from AU (after already knowing that it is coming). My husband opened it and told me that AU rescinded their scholarship offer. I almost had a heart attack. </p>

<p>Turns out it was his idea for a humor. Since AU scholarship sounded so much better than AUH scholarship and he thought the two schools were the same, what he was trying to say is that AU took away the earlier offered scholarship and gave my son new, better scholarship.</p>

<p>There is no way my son is going to Bama Bound with my husband. For all I know they will drive straight to AUB from the airport and try to register for classes there. </p>

<p>I’d recommend the newer suite style dorms. Ridgecrest, Riverside or Presidential. </p>

<p>The appeal of the traditional style ones are overhyped by parents wearing rose tinted spectacles. Most of the traditional style dorms are old and gross. </p>

<p>The suite-style dorms being anti-social is a myth. If someone is a recluse, they’re going to be like that no matter where they live. It’s easy to make friends in the suites. </p>

<p>Regarding Bama Bound:</p>

<p>Staying in the dorms then is dumb. It’s expensive for what it is (no TV, shared bathroom, twin bed, etc). Honestly, a hotel like the Country Inn and Suites is nicer and if you have two people, might as well not make two reservations.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Mandalorian, I assume you are a student, right? </p>

<p>Can you tell me what you find gross about those rooms. My son was a bit put-off by the comment about flip flops, so I would be interested to hear student’s perspective.</p>

<p>I understand where you are coming from when you talk about being anti-social. I am not worried about that aspect for my son. Although I wold say that, in general, it is much harder to exclude someone when you literally have share a space with them 24x7. It is also easier to avoid exclusion situations when there are even number of people involved. </p>

<p>lerkin, we are also very concerned with the costs of the suite dorms. That is a lot of money, and I have to wonder if it is really worth it.</p>

<p>DS has seen the suite style dorms, (other colleges) and liked them a lot, but since it seems like most students move off campus anyway, then I don’t see the older dorms as that big a deal when starting there. I, too, am hoping he could meet some other nice students in the dorms. He is pretty laid back so he seems ok with that plan. </p>

<p>IF he decides to go there, I think the savings on the dorms could be applied to more spending money and travel costs.</p>

<p>Regarding Bama Bound:
Staying in the dorms then is dumb. It’s expensive for what it is (no TV, shared bathroom, twin bed, etc). </p>

<p>It cost my husband $38 a night to stay in RCS in a four bedroom suite. There was only one other person in the suite and so they each had their own bathroom. He was literally only in the room to sleep and it was convenient to be there. D stayed in a RCS also; in a two bedroom suite, with one other girl…again, only there to sleep. It was nice to be there and able to hang out with others in the RCS common areas. Plus, my D was going to be living at RCS and had wanted to check it all out. One of her suitemates came to the same session and stayed at a hotel with her Mom. D thought she missed out by heading back to the hotel and not hanging out with everyone. D met friends she still hangs out with! </p>

<p>Hubby’s registration was done at the exact time I signed her up-easy.</p>

<p>Lerkin, just wanted to add that the University of Alabama is UA not AU. Can’t get those mixed up because AU is Auburn (our arch-enemy). I made that mistake a couple of times when my oldest was a freshman too. </p>

<p>Also if your son is out of school early (or can miss 2 days of school), perhaps he can go to the earliest Bama Bound. The earlier you go the better for registration purposes IF he is planning on taking some higher level classes (for the freshmen classes, they do “open up” spots at each bama bound so these should be a problems, however, it is harder to get those sophomore classes the later you go.) My two UA students did not get a job during the summer between their senior year/freshman college year because (1) they didn’t graduate until early June and left early August, (2) they didn’t have jobs previously and no one was really hiring, and (3) they were working on their Eagle projects so we kind of let them slide on making money. I know finding a job, especially with time requirements, can be difficult. Good luck to your student!</p>

<p>And I thought he was painting it AU colors since no one would want it - and she may be right, they don’t steal bikes at Auburn ;)</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Oops, sorry. I guess it is a good thing I can safely hide behind my computer. </p>

<p>“Yes, May might be an option (need to see if there is a conflict with IB/AP tests). However, I’ve read that they don’t give kids benefit of the doubt with regards to AP results for tests taken during senior year. Which means he will not have credit for Micro and Macro Economics - both classes that are required for his major and are prerequisites to other required classes. So he will have to fix his schedule anyway in July.” </p>

<p>My son went to Bama Bound in early May last year. It was the first honors one before Hs was even done with his senior year and his AP/IB scores were not out yet. Bama was great and went with what my son told them he thought he would get. My DS did bring with him the report from his High school which listed all the tests he did take his senior year, He also already had the ones from previous years scores sent to Bama so they were on file already. It all went very smoothly and we were very happy we went to the early one and got it done and could focus on Graduation. </p>

<p>About the bike rental, I wouldn’t count on it. My D tried to rent a bike in August of freshman year and they were all rented out. She ended up buying an inexpensive one at Walmart. There are listings for bikes on Craig’s list. </p>

<p>

</p>

<p>I don’t want to sound stupid, but can you tell me how one sends their AP test scores to college? </p>

<p>Yankee Belle, thank you for the heads up about the bike. </p>

<p>See here: <a href=“Sending AP Scores – AP Students | College Board”>View Your AP Scores – AP Students | College Board; You’ll need an account to view/send those scores, if you don’t already have one.
Good luck!</p>

<p>You can sign up on College Board for them to send the AP scores to whatever schools you designate for a fee or get one free school when you take the exam. Google College Board, AP Score Reporting to see. UA will post them when they receive them, so you can see them online. </p>

<p>Agree on the early Bama Bound. I remembered UA already had my D’s scores when she went in May for previous years. She was bringing in so many, she didn’t need any basic classes. She only covered herself, “just in case” on one because SHE wasn’t sure on the score, and wanted that class Freshman year if she wasn’t able to transfer it. Once she got the credit, she switched that one for another she wanted, no problem. But they did assume she got all AP credit at Bama Bound…but I’ve heard that can vary and may depend on the dept./advisors.</p>

<p>CLEP is another wonderful thing UA accepts that you may or may not know about (clep.collegeboard.org). I did not, until I read about it on this Board last year. My D whisked in, early last June, and took the CLEP test for foreign language (not her favorite subject) and managed to get a score good enough to wipe away the two classes required of freshman. This is if you do not have the AP. She had made a last minute swap before senior year classes began and dropped the foreighn language AP in order to take a Statistics AP she would need in her major. She is so happy she did, because she got the Statistics AP credit and wiped away the foreign language requirement altogether with the CLEP test. You sign up and pay about $100 per exam and will know the unofficial score when you are finished with the test. Then, like the AP scores, the testing center mails the offical score to UA. They offer CLEP in other subjects, too, besides foreign language, depending on what you need because you didn’t take the AP. Best $100 we spent!</p>

<p>Thank you for suggestions. He does not need anymore credits just for the sake of credits. He already has 35 if we counted correctly. The credits that he does need are to fulfill the core requirements in liberal arts. These are not attainable to him because he most likely does not know the material. </p>

<p>Does anyone know if they use institutional GPA or overall GPA to maintain the scholarship. He will be transferring classes from our local flagship, which will put him below 3.0 (those B- are not your friends). Although I have to say UA :wink: is far more generous with the GPA than our flagship. </p>

<p>The CLEP credits weren’t just for the sake of credits. They wiped away two required classes, letting D use the credit hours for two other classes of her choice. She has the Presidential Scholarship and would be able to let that pay for two other Gradutate level classes if she wants to, senior year. Or she can use to take more advanced level classes within her major now. She brought in over 45 hours of AP’s and the CLEP-these got most all the core courses out of the way and will let her take more advanced courses with her Presidential scholarship. Also, the more credits your have, the earlier you register for classes. She was able to register pretty early for next semester and has already locked down some classes that typically fill up with upperclassman…plus, got the times/sections she wanted.</p>

<p>MontessoriMom,</p>

<p>Sorry for misunderstanding. I was not commenting on your daughter’s situation. In my son’s situation CLEP credits are not helpful. All they are going to do for him is to add credit. You daughter’s situation is completely different. </p>

<p>I’ve got to say, I am impressed by her ability to pass foreign language test without taking AP. Languages are difficult for members of my family. My son is relieved that computer science courses will satisfy “foreign” language requirement for him. </p>