Housing Shortage

<p>^^^ This and The Supe being closed afternoons and Sundays… It’s not as if all the folks visiting and touring 'BAMA on weekends could possibly WANT TO BUT SOME 'BAMA STUFF!!! (Snark)^^^</p>

<p>UA is making exceptions to the requirement of living oncampus. Freshman who haven’t been given housing yet are being emailed that they are given permission to live off campus! I will be a freshman and know others who’ve gotten the email</p>

<p>Not related to housing this year , but since there was already a bunch of people talking about housing I figured it’d be a good place to ask since you’ve seen the numbers recently - How much does honors (suite style) housing cost compared to standard housing options ? I can’t seem to find this on the website.</p>

<p>^Here is the info you requested:</p>

<p><a href=“http://housing.ua.edu/pdfs/2013-2014%20Residence%20Hall%20Rates%20APPROVED.pdf[/url]”>http://housing.ua.edu/pdfs/2013-2014%20Residence%20Hall%20Rates%20APPROVED.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Thanks so much! Is the extra for the honors dorms worth it?</p>

<p>AlmostLimitless, it all depends on what you are looking for.
However, if you opt out of a suite your freshman year it is next to impossible to get a suite the following year. From what I have been told. As for those in Honors, I’m not sure how they handle that if they will allow you to go into Honors Housing your 2nd year if you were in a traditional dorm 1st year.</p>

<p>For DD - the Honors Suites helped seal the deal for her. We refer to the suites as the “Taj Mahal” of dorms, have yet to see anything at other schools as nice! Well worth the price!</p>

<p>Of course, she’s got three other special snowflakes with whom to share the splendor…</p>

<p>Wait wait wait, honors students can live on-campus past freshman year?</p>

<p>In the past, students who were in living learning communities (which includes Honors) were guaranteed on-campus housing in their LLC dorms (Honors housing for Honors students) for all 4 years, provided they already lived in that housing. That fell by the wayside for this coming year (without any acknowledgement), presumably because there is a big housing crunch right now. That said, there were honors students (rising sophomores), including my D, who were able to recontract for on-campus housing for next year. Unfortunately, there were a number more who wanted to but were not able to recontract. </p>

<p>I suspect the housing crunch will be alleviated next year with a huge new dorm coming online and a class of NMFs (the 2017 class) who won’t have housing scholarships and therefore will be more inclined to move off campus. Whether things go back to how they were when/if the housing shortage ends is anyone’s guess.</p>

<p>Yes - TXA - we have a suite full of Special Snowflakes!! LOL</p>