Housing??

<p>I've been accepted to Madison, but I'm unsure which residence hall to live in. Any advice? I am currently leaning towards the Lakeshore dorms.</p>

<p>Also, I can't find anywhere to answer questions about roommates. Are you just randomly assigned based on nothing?</p>

<p>Can’t go wrong with Lakeshore.
Yes. Pot luck.</p>

<p>Res Halls found as much success in random roommate assignments as with attempting to match them according to questionnaires so they dropped that a long time ago. Students do some self selecting by their choice of dorms they want to be in. Lakeshore dorms are nice. You will have to sort out which location/building style et al you prefer. Read the Res Halls subsites- all of them- to get different insights into dorm features. The lofting guide, for example, has pictures of room interiors. All dorms have the same standards for the basics- no inferior plumbing or run down buildings like you may hear about at some colleges. Be warned though- Liz waters is a very popular dorm, therefore harder to get into- so if this is your first choice be prepared to love another Lakeshore dorm. Every dorm has plusses and minuses- you decide your priorities.</p>

<p>Yeah I kind of figured that was the deal with the questionnaires, but I was just checking. Are there really any differences among the different Lakeshore dorms (besides Liz Waters)? From the booklet they sent me and what I’ve seen on their website, it seems like they’re all pretty much the same.</p>

<p>No, they are very different! Check out the architectural differences on the website. Bradley is all freshmen, circa 1960’s construction with split down the middle layout (originally had built in desks and beds with bolsters) as are Sullivan and Cole. Adams and Tripp are similar to each other with a courtyard , circa 1926. Kronshage has 6 3-floor houses/buildings (others are 4 stories- all houses in same building), Slichter is a U shape- both have built in dressers. Some are closer to the lake. Liz, 1940, further from snack bar and others, different, built into a hill layout, 2 floor houses. Window styles, heating types, floor tiles, walls vary with era of construction. All updated in recent times to modern standards for electrical, internet, cable tv, plumbing.</p>

<p>What is the same: Meals, dining facilities. Bathrooms down the hall. Furnishings. Amenities. Smaller dorms than the towers of Southeast.</p>

<p>I ignored Frederick- not available to freshmen.</p>

<p>Oh ok! Thank you, wis75.</p>