Housing

<li><p>Is housing gaurateed for freshmen?</p></li>
<li><p>What are the best and worst dorms (and why!)?</p></li>
<li><p>I am admitted but have not yet paid my enrollment fee. Other schools I have been admitted to so far have alloed students to apply for housing for priority reasons. What does Miami do?</p></li>
</ol>

<p>Housing is guaranteed for freshmen; as a matter of fact they are required to live on campus unless they stay with their parents and commute. You have to pay your enrollment fee to submit a housing deposit. Housing priority is assigned by the order the deposits are received and stays with you all 4 years. My S sent in his deposits in early April just after the "Admitted Students Open House" and received his 1st choice, Hecht.</p>

<p>The towers, Stanford and Hecht with traditional dorm rooms, are the main freshmen dorms and have activities geared toward the freshman experience. Freshmen can select the other suite-style dorm buildings (Mahoney, Pearson, Eaton) as their 1st choice, but most of the frosh will be in S/H. S/H each have 2 towers and are very similar. You can't go wrong with either. Stanford does have substance free floors and music practice rooms so many music majors will choose to live there. </p>

<p>Check out the housing website and see what appeals to you. I really recommend Stanford or Hecht for the best freshman experience. Residential</a> Colleges | University of Miami</p>

<p>Do you mean that, unlike the Iniversity of Florida, I cannnot aply for hosing NOW, even if I haven't yet enrolled in order to get priority!? Is the $300.00 enrolment fee returnable? When filing out housing application, do you get to choose which dorms you want?</p>

<p>I am not sure that you can put down a deposit before you say your going to go to UM. My3sons might know better. I do believe the deposit it nonrefundable. But it also not refundable at UF. Yes, you can pick which dorm you you want to live in. You give them a list of 4 in the order you want them. My DD is in Stanford and she loves it, she met a lot of wonderful people. Stanford and Hecht are for freshman's. I really don't think you could go wrong in either one of them. Many people say Hecht is nicer. It was redone on the inside. Hope this helps.</p>

<p>Hecht and Stanford are the traditional freshman dorms. Hecht has a nicer lobby and newer elevators (I live in Hecht but from what I've heard from my Stanford friends, their elevators are a little scary). But the rooms are no different. The university is also trying to implement special housing communities, but I don't know if this will be accomplished by next year or not.</p>

<p>Good afternoon,
I was just checking out College Confidential and in one of your replies, you made reference to the other dorms at University of Miami. My son is slated to live in Eaton in a suite with a shared bathroom. As a parent, I'm obviously concerned about cleanliness but plan to send him to school with cleaning supplies and keep my fingers crossed. Do you know if the school provides bathroom tissue or will I need to have him budget for that as well?
Thanks very much.</p>

<p>is on-campus housing rare for transfers?</p>

<p>Transfers usually don't get housing. There is a waiting list, but I would start looking for housing off campus if I were you.</p>