Housing!

<p>I just made my deposit! And I'm trying to figure out my housing issues.
I'm a bit confused on where I want to go.
EARHART : Just seems a bit dull
I want to go to either Windsor but most of all MCCUTCHEON HALL because it's so nice! But Shreve has has a nice study area and the rooms are pretty nice. I'm so indecisive.
I heard some of the dorms don't have AC so I was also wondering which ones were they.
Thank you in advance!</p>

<p>Dorms that have A/C: McCutcheon, Harrison, Earhart, Shreve, Hillenbrand(One floor reserved for Freshmen, the rest are Upperclassmen), and First Street Towers(Upperclassmen only). </p>

<p>To be honest, the dorms at Harrison, McCutcheon, Earhart, and Shreve are the same. I lived in McCutcheon and Earhart and it’s pretty much the same as in size of room and all. The location and amenities in the halls are the only difference. I would recommend Earhart over McCutcheon due to different reasons. Earhart has the Dining Court so you don’t have to go outside. Earhart has a bigger and nicer laundry room compared to McCutcheon. Earhart is right on the campus loop and the girls wing is right there and is closer to the Co-Rec. The only benefits to McCutcheon imho is that it’s located right infront of Subway/Pizza Hut/Papa Johns/DQ and the parking garage is right next door.</p>

<p>are any residence halls suite style or are they all hall style? and which residence halls have the most freshmen?</p>

<p>Cary has suites but it’s for upperclassmen and men only obviously. Hillenbrand is also suite style but only one floor is reserved for freshmen. The rest are all hall style. Every dorm except for Hillenbrand, First Street, Cary Suites has the most freshmen. Theres no one dorm that houses the most freshmen however upperclassmen tend to get the better dorms since they choose their housing choices early. I do know upperclassmen who are living in Owen, McCutcheon, Purdue Village, and Hilltop though. Oh yeah, freshmen are USUALLY the ones that are at the top of the hill on Hilltop unless you get lucky and room with two people who are friends and your their third roommate.</p>

<p>actually next year, Hillenbrand will be all upperclassmen</p>

<p>^Good. That’s how it should be.</p>

<p>anyone has any opinions about meredith hall??</p>

<p>I have a bunch of friends who live there, its a solid location, coed, very old, small old rooms. Boiler Crossing is downstairs of Meredith, its a little convenient store which you can use your dining dollars at.</p>

<p>i am thinking earhart…but i have few questions
is it possible to have roommate who i perfer? such as…idk white? something like that
and… how fast do i have to choose which dorm(send the housing application form) i am going to live?</p>

<p>^Are you kidding me? If I’m not mistaken, you’re Korean right? And you’re asking if you can choose a roommate based on race? ROFLMAO.</p>

<p>Im happy i went to Purdues for Me because I got to tour lotssssss of residence halls</p>

<p>Woah, Balthezar that’s a bit extreme there. I’m Korean myself but I prefer white kids over Koreans or other Asians since I always had white friends in my life. Everything I do is pretty much white and I don’t like what the Korean kids do. It’s different for everyone my friend. I don’t blame him for wanting a white roommate. To be honest dannybae, if you really really want a white roommate so badly, you have to lie on the application. For the roommate requests, just check mark every type of thing that a white kid would want. If you don’t like your roommate, you can always change in the middle of the year. I know a lot of kids who did that too…</p>

<p>Not extreme at all Jimbo, and, frankly, I’m surprised you feel that way. It’s racist pure and simple. nuff said.</p>

<p>It’s called being raised in a neighborhood that was mostly white.</p>

<p>It’s not called being racist when you want to have an asian roommate. I know plenty of people who have different race roommates. It’s called wanting a change. I’m korean and I personally could careless but to some people it’s based on your comfort level. Like Jimgotkp, I live in a very Caucasian area, so I really don’t have any asian friends. But I would probably mingle with them in college. It’s not racist, that’s extreme.</p>

<p>excuse me balthezar, i am korean but i wanted to be roommate with white cause in my school, i mostly hang out with korean friends so i decided to “mix” up with everybody. thats why i choose to be roommate with white kid. i dont know why it makes u think that i’m racist but…i dont care.
and personally , i perfer korean roommate, cause its more comfortable.
and jinbotkp, thank you for information… i prob end up with korean…hahaha</p>

<p>god i missed all variables lol god…i’m kinda mad!! Argh!!</p>

<p>First, if you ask for a roommate based on the color of their skin, you’ll quickly realize that housing will think that’s extreme. Second, and I think this is fairly obvious, the color of a person’s skin tells you nothing about that person. If, after getting assigned to a roommate of a random color, you can articulate legitimate(i.e. not race-based) reasons for wanting to change rooms, then do so.</p>

<p>Oh and I do understand Danny, that you want to experience the diversity of living with a roommate other than Korean, and that you think that would be good for you. So do I. Instead of lying, I’d just say that “I don’t want you to place me with another Korean student, just because I’m Korean. I’m open to staying with any student here at Purdue”. Saying that will show them that you’re open and want to contribute to Purdue’s diversity. If you say “I want to have a white roommate”, that takes on entirely different connotations, and makes you seem like you wouldn’t even consider anyone of any other color.</p>

<p>My reaction to your initial statement was exactly why you need to carefully phrase your request. Your intentions don’t come across correctly, when you phrase them the way you initially did.</p>

<p>well i understand wat your saying…but so you mean that i can choose roommate right? thats all i wanted to hear</p>