How accurate is JHU Cost Estimator?

Hi everyone. Our S24 is in the recruiting process at JHU. Things are looking positive from both the academic and sports side, so we’re hopeful.

Does anyone have experience with the cost estimator. I tried it a few times and based on our finances, it shows anywhere from $40k to $80k with a most likely of $60k. $40k to $45k is possible, but much above that amount and will have to look at other options.

Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

Did you run the net price calculator? Net Price Calculator

Don’t run My Intuition, it gives large ranges that are unhelpful.

I would have your S ask the coach if the financial aid dept will do a financial aid pre-read for you. If they say no, it’s ok for you to contact FA and ask how accurate their NPC is, and if it is updated for 2024-25 COA, as well as the upcoming FAFSA changes (I doubt it is updated, so make sure to increase costs by 4%-5% to reflect what’s likely in 2024-25).

3 Likes

Thanks - we’ll give that a try. Really appreciate the advice.

2 Likes

Make sure you are using accurate numbers. I know you think I’m nuts for even suggesting this… but we see DOZENS of folks posting every year with something wonky in their financial aid and it turns out they miscalculated a 401K rollover (it went in the withdrawal box), put a decimal point in the wrong place, etc. It happens…

Wow - that was really helpful and I hope the results are accurate as they came in at about the midpoint of our top range. We’ll still proceed with the suggestion to ask the coach for a financial pre-read. Thanks again!

2 Likes

If recruiting, many schools offered financial preread in addition to admissions. We didn’t go through the process at JHU, but I’d definitely ask.

2 Likes

Working through the financial pre-read now. fingers crossed

We received a financial pre-read and it’s at the high end of the expected range, which puts it out of budget. Does anyone know how the merit process works from this point? I plan to call the school next week to do my best to negotiate the anticipated amount lower, but there’s no way we’ll reach budget with just reductions, so some merit is needed. I’m interested in the timing of these things since my son ED’d and we’ll have to make a decision by around mid-december, so i’m trying to figure out if we’ll know about any merit money before then. Thanks for any help/advice.

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.