How am I supposed to decide between AP classes

Hello! I’m a current sophomore as well and while I can’t give you any advice from experiences, I can certainly try. I am taking AP Euro right now, and survived with getting an A first semester. It’s a very tough class as it’s not memorization, but rather interpreting and thoroughly understanding each historical event. The questions are based off passages and you’ll need to hone your writing skills to do DBQ’s and LEQ’s. If you want to go into law, I suggest taking some speaking classes- like debate or forensics. Psycology would also help you a lot so I would try to take that as well. If you’re thinking of trying AP Stat or AP Chem, but aren’t grabbing high A’s in your math and science classes as well, I would hold off on taking those classes. Try to have a general idea of what field you’re going into as the classes you should take for computer sci, econ, and law are very different! Feel free to PM me if you want more info on any class!

I agree with @reallypanicked about AP Euro. I too am a sophomore and am taking APCSP as well. It is a breeze and is a great introduction for understanding technology, computer science, and the fundamentals of programming. If you are already slightly knowledgeable in cs, then do A. I regret not taking A because A is much easier than I made it out to be when choosing my sophomore year classes. Good luck.

Here in California the most powerful AP courses are the AP Calculus AB/BC and the Language/Comp-Lit Comp pairs of yearly courses. The reason is they both fill General Education Foundation requirements. Foundation classes must be taken first, normally have qualifying testing to enter, and are the Prerequisites for hundreds of otherwise unrelated courses. With these clear and out of the way, the door is wide-open to take a vast array of available classes from Day 1 of your new, fantastic life in college.

CS principles may give you an area of what CS is about, so it can help you decide if you want to major in CS. And if you do not major in CS, it should help you understand how CS relates to other subjects. http://cs10.org is a college course on which CS principles is inspired from.

For either CS or economics, calculus will be required; taking the AP calculus course in high school could help you get advanced placement.

Pre-law college students can major in anything, but GPA and LSAT score are highly important to get into a highly ranked law school, and law school ranking is important for law school employment.

@ucbalumnus @STEMteacher
Thanks I really appreciate the advice

For a computer science career, obviously, the two AP CompSci classes would be ideal, as well as AP Physics and another one of your choice.

For both a law and economy career, I would recommend taking as many of the social sciences as possible. (AP Psych and Euro, and then any two of your choice.

Personally, I would recommend taking AP Psych no matter what since it is probably the most interesting AP content-wise.

Additionally, I don’t know what AP Star is, but if you meant AP Stats, I would say that Stats would be useful to all three careers.

What year are you in and what classes are you taking?
Have you taken any AP yet?
Have you taken honors chem yet?
What AP physics (1,2, C?)
Would that be for your 10th grade schedule? What else would you be taking?

Rule of thumb:
Elite colleges want to see a total of 6-8 APs TOTAL. They need to be well chosen with a coherent schedule, especially he and Sr year.
They do not want you to replace a core class (ie., Foreign language or physics) with a non core class just because it’s an AP (ie., AP stats or APES.)
They specifically discourage the AP arms’race, or, as Stanford put it ‘its not a game if who has the most APs, wins’.

You sound like you are unsure of your career path (because those are differing paths), so you should fall back on the original basis for AP classes in the first place, namely for superior high school students to test out of introductory, core-curriculum type courses so that they can move more quickly in college to pursue their major, etc.

In that vein, AP English is ALWAYS useful (because almost every school in US will have a freshman writing reuirement), an AP history course in very useful (because most schools have either a social sciences or even a history-specific requirement), and if you have any interest in STEM (or just room in your schedule) you should take as many AP hard sciences and maths as you possibly can (subject to workload concerns) (again, even a Poetry major will be required to take at least one hard science course at most colleges).

AP Computer Science is a good course if you are interested specifically in that area, otherwise I would place it below the above suggestions. AP Psychology, Human Geography, Economics, etc., are only worth taking (compared to these others) if you have an interest in the area OR the alternative class is a true fluff course. When colleges look for “rigor” in your schedule, none will be impressed with AP Psychology or Geography taken INSTEAD of Calculus, English, or a hard science.

@MYOS1634
I’m a freshman who has never taken an AP and this is for soph year. All these aps are for electives. I have not taken honors chem until next year. Any type of physics.
Currently taking
Honors English
Honors bio
Honors algebra
PE
2 electives
Spanish 2
Western Civ
Taking next year
Honors chem
Honors English
Honors geometry
Spanish 3
PE
Micro and macro Econ
The last elective.

Foreign Language shouldn’t be treated as an elective but as a core class. You need to reach Level 4 or AP if you want to apply to a highly selective college (level 3 for selective colleges).
Do you only have 6 periods per school day or are you also taking a study hall?

A possible rigorous schedule would be
SOPHOMORE
Honors chem
Honors English
Honors geometry
Spanish 3
PE
AP Micro and macro Econ
AP CS Principles or AP Human Geography

JUNIOR
AP English Language
AP Physics 1
Honors Algebra 2
Spanish 4
PE/Health/Culinary Arts/ other elective
APUSH or Honors US History
Regular level Programming or CS class

SENIOR
Honors English
AP Stats
Precalculus Honors
AP Spanish
AP Euro
AP CS A
Art, music, or a “fun class” you’ve always wanted to try in HS and now it’s your last chance :wink:

Also AP Economics would be good

Colleges want applicants to have a rigorous, well rounded curriculum. Take the classes you feel you can enjoy and have success in.

Hi I want to either go into a computer science career, economics or law career. I am taking AP Economics soph year and can’t decide between AP Euro , computer science principles, or computer science a for my second Ap course. For junior year I want to take one of the above classes stat, Psych, or Chem. For senior year any of the above and maybe physics. I have 2 spots open senior year. Can anyone give me some advice?

Ap Psych, AP Computer Science a , ap Euro, ap star, ap chem, AP Computer Science principles, ap physics. I can take 4 of them and wanted to know which would be good for a law career, computer scientist, and economist?

@guineagirl96 @skieurope @ab2002 @DadTwoGirls @needtosucceed27 @Candyblossom1245 @Hamurtle
So I can’t take AP Calculus BC but can take AB should I take AP Euro to make up for it? Also, if I take CSP instead of Euro will that affect my chances of getting into the college I want?

@michaelc2002 You don’t need to make up for it. AP Calc AB is mostly taken by juniors and seniors. Taking it as a sophomore is rigorous enough. Also, not taking AP Euro is not going to kill you. Ironically, my friend is a recruit for UChicago. She did NOT take AP Euro. Still have in mind that she got a perfect 36 on the ACT though. I think CSP is fine. Don’t take Euro unless you

@ab2002 I’m taking calc an as a senior thats why I was asking if I should take Ap Euro soph year to make up for it

@michaelc2002 I don’t think there’s a set of classes you need to make up for… If you like APCSP, then take it. AP Euro is not easy and I honestly, as of right now, just want it to be over with.

Jumping from Western Civilization to AP Euro is huge. I know there is some pressure and some kind of expectation to stack up APs on top of APs, but I think it is best to take it easy. Does your school offer “easier” APs? Try one of the “easier” ones as your first taste with APs. As for the AP Computer Science… I think it is best to try taking some other kind of computer science class first… if you don’t want to do that, I recommend taking some time before the start of next year learning the material on your own over the summer or something.