How are the environmental programs at Tech?

<p>I was accepted to the College of Natural Resources for a Wildlife Science major. Does anyone know how good the program is?
I'm also considering Penn State UP and American University, if anyone has advice on those.
Thanks!</p>

<p>On Tech's website (I forget where, but you can see it word for word on wikipedia) it says Wildlife Science is ranked #1 by its peers.</p>

<p>Wow that's surprising. I thought it was more of an engineering school. That looks good though.</p>

<p>We have an excellent Vet/Ag school as well, so I guess that kind of falls under that banner. One of the top Vet Grad programs this side of the Mississippi.</p>

<p>That ranking was nice to see, but another factor that swayed me (I also got accepted to Wildlife Science) was the fact that the college itself has less than 500 undergrads, where as I believe every other college has over 1000 undergrads, and with 6 majors thats way less than a 100 per major.</p>

<p>Virginia Tech has an excellent forestry program from what I've heard</p>

<p>A small college within a large university is very appealing. You get the big campus feel with personalized advising, small classes, etc.
Thanks for all the replies.</p>

<p>My D graduated in Wildlife Science from VT in 2007. It is in with the Forestry department so she had to take several "tree labs". The smaller size of the college makes it very personal.</p>

<p>
[quote]
A small college within a large university is very appealing. You get the big campus feel with personalized advising, small classes, etc.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>It really is. My major has only about 25 people per year and everybody knows everybody else, everybody knows the professors, it's really nice.</p>

<p>I have heard through other students and alumni that VT has a very strong Dept. of Natural Resources. (Unfortunately I don't have any information on the individual depts like Wildlife Sciences). VT is actually in the process of naming a new dean for the college of natural resources, though. Here is a link to information on the 3 final candidates:</p>

<p>Campus</a> Notice | Virginia Tech News | Virginia Tech</p>

<p>Good luck in your course of study!</p>