How are the nursing programs at these colleges?

<p>Hey guys, I was recently accepted to Drexel University, Desales University (accelerated program), Pace University, UMass Amherst, URI, University of Scranton, Quinnipiac, and SUNY Plattsburgh. How are the nursing programs at these schools? I've heard they're all well-respected, but I want to hear some of your opinions. Thanks!</p>

<p>I can only speak to a few:<br>
Drexel- 250+ accepted nursing students. Downtown area, not much green space, but in the heart of the city. Bus takes you to nursing campus which is about a 20 min walk from main campus. Lots of construction on campus. Very urban. Spent the day with the asst dean of nursing, who was very warm. Their simulation center is state of the art and is used by all of their health science majors and they even train people from hospitals. I think it is a very good program. You can do a 1 coop or a 3 coop program, so you are at school year round after freshman year. (and you do pay expensive tuition while you are enrolled in a coop program) You are considered to have 18 mos of nursing experience when you graduate, although one of the coops promised seemed kind of basic like working in a doctor office. Others were more critical care/acute care focused.
DeSales- Smaller program - less than 100 accepted nurses. Wonderful small school in the middle of beautiful Poconos. (not much to do there) It is more of a commuter school. They have PA and Nursing Program and are opening a new health sciences building in the fall with new sim center. The combined BSN/MSN program is a great opportunity if you are one of their nursing leaders and can take advantage of it, because you get 5 graduate courses at undergraduate price.
Scranton- smaller than Drexel- lovely surroundings, but we did not actually get to see the nursing school or speak with faculty or students on the day we visited. I think clinicals are near campus, which would be good.
SUNY Plattsburgh- smaller nursing program, in a very cold and snowy area in the ADKs (gorgeous mountains and great skiing) and nice well respected program. (Honors college available) Not an urban center, but close (1 hour) to Lake Placid, Burlington and Vermont. Not sure how close their clinicals are and if you need a vehicle. Think snow!
Quinnipiac-Highly regarded program, many health science programs offered, tuition is higher, lovely campus.<br>
There is a forum on CC for each of these schools, not tons of nursing school info on them, but you can read through them and get a feel for other people’s opinions of the campus life. We are going through the same process as you, so I know how it feels to be searching for another set of eyes. You might also try looking at the actual nursing curriculums (classes offered, variety, focus and if they have graduate specialties, which might help you decide as well) Best of luck to you.</p>

<p>We had a nice question and answer session with a couple of DeSales nursing professors, who were impressive. However, my daughter crossed it off her list because she figured it would be too boring. It is smaller than most other colleges with nursing programs, and too many of the students go home on the weekend. It also has an isolated location - you can’t walk to any businesses and there is no public bus service to the campus. It is even a long walk from one building to another, and people complain about freezing in the long walk from a parking lot to a building. There are very few opportunities nearby for off-campus student housing. Many of the students end up 20 minutes away in Bethlehem, which ruins the sense of cohesiveness. My son’s girlfriend just transferred out of DeSales.</p>

<p>If you want to consider DeSales, you should try to make sure you attend Scholarship Day, which is this coming Saturday. You would need to register ASAP.</p>

<p>Other people have written that Drexel will not give you a nursing degree if they don’t think you will pass the RN exam on the first try. That is particularly bad because so many students past the exam on the 2nd try. However, it is how Drexel maintains their unusually high pass rate.</p>

<p>One item that struck me about U. of Scranton is that they require people to live on campus for at least a couple years, but their food and housing expenses were higher than most colleges.</p>

<p>Ah thank you guys for your input! Yeah I think I’m crossing desales and suny plattsburgh off my list, I definitely don’t want to go to a commuter school and a school that’s cold most of the time. Even though I was accepted into the 5-year masters program, I personaly dont think its worth it. 2 down, 5 more to cross off!</p>

<p>As you have asked for opinions I can give you mine in reference to the five remaining schools. I am doing this obviously without any knowledge of financial issues or any personal interests you might have regarding your choice. So here is my ranking:</p>

<ol>
<li>UMass-Amherst (top notch academics and major research university)
2A URI (close to UMass in same areas)
2B PACE (especially if you would like NYC area)</li>
<li>Drexel (would be higher, perhaps No. 2, except for cost and HESI exam requirement-this irks me to no end from an ethical perspective as I don’t believe applicants are made aware of this - perhaps it is in some fine print somewhere - but I don’t think most applicants are made aware of it.)
4 Quinnipiac (good academics, beautiful campus, upward bound university)</li>
<li>Scranton (good academics, area outside of campus is not the greatest)</li>
</ol>

<p>Like Nixon once said, let me make this perfectly clear, all these colleges can provide a student with an excellent Nursing education if you apply yourself. If you have not done so already I would encourage you to visit the colleges and try to get a sense of where you would best “fit in” depending on what you are looking for in a total “college experience”. Don’t just focus totally on the Nursing Program. Again just my personal perspective, I’m sure others would feel differently. Best of luck in making your decision.</p>

<p>Yes, for both of my kids, I didn’t suggest they consider any colleges in update New York, which has some of the highest snowfall totals in the eastern US. It is a beautiful place during the Summer, but I would think it would get really really depressing by February if you spent your Winter there. Spring would take forever to arrive.</p>

<p>Can you guys give input on the nursing (undergrad) schools that I’ve been accepted to?

1. Baylor University
  2. Northeastern University (Boston)
  3. Purdue University
  4. University of Illinois - Chicago
  5. Case Western Reserve University
    I’ve also applied to University of Michigan and I’m fairly certain that I’m going to get in, but I applied RD so I have yet to hear back.
    Thanks!</p>