How bad is Greek Life?

<p>Through information here, I have encouraged DS to look at UA. BUT, I have been researching this college on a number of different sites, and I am seeing a LOT of negative comments about the culture at UA.</p>

<p>Those who like it are from the South, from that area, or in sororities or frats. The negatives are coming from many who did not go Greek, or were from out of state.</p>

<p>I, personally, despise the Greek system, and it had me concerned when I first read UA had it. Now after the many negative comments I have been reading about it, it has me worried. S will be 14 hours from home, and this is not a decision we can backtrack on. </p>

<p>I have two sons who are at UA, neither of which are Greek. They are both in the College of Engineering and have a lot of friends who are not greek either. Both are happy there. I don’t know the statistics (others might chime in) but I know that only a small percentage (25 to 33% perhaps) are in the greek system, which means that many are not. </p>

<p>Alabama gets way more scrutiny, due to the sins of the past, and possibly, sins of the present. But UA has one of the highest enrollments of African Americans of any university in the nation. So is the environment that toxic for non-Whites? Not sure if that is what you were getting at, but thought I would speak up for my school. Also, the great majority of students are NOT Greek, and 60 per cent of last year’s Fall freshman class was from out of state. If the Greek system is “bad” as you assume, why is it such a popular choice for so many out of staters from all over the nation? </p>

<p>One thing to note with a lot of negative reviews is that there are often other issues leading to the review that the reviewer declined to mention. For example, a reviewer might be homesick, suffering from depression, failing classes, wasn’t offered a bid in a fraternity/sorority, etc. and then decides to “foul the nest.” This is not to say that none of their complaints are valid, just that the person reading the reviews isn’t getting the whole story.</p>

<p>No school is perfect and every school has transfers. Go looking for negative reviews and one will find them, often with little effort beyond a quick internet search. Like most schools, UA is working hard to address complaints and reduce the number of students transferring from other schools. </p>

<p>UA has found that the students with the lowest chance of returning for sophomore year are those from nearby states who have a lot of high school friends attending schools in that state. In turn, they those students often focus on keeping those friends more than they focus on making new friends at UA. It’s not much of a surprise when they then claim that they don’t know many people at UA and want to transfer to a school in their home state.</p>

<p>Like many schools, UA does offer Greek Life for interested students. Noting that Greek Life is a very positive experience for many people, it does not have to be a huge part of ones college career if one doesn’t want it to be. I do encourage students and their families to keep an open mind about Greek Life and realize that being part of a Greek Letter Organization doesn’t mean that one can’t personalize their Greek Life experience to suit their specific needs and desires.</p>

<p>Well, I would discourage DS from attempting to join a fraternity. I know they can be expensive and we don’t have any money for that. </p>

<p>I am reading the positive and the negative. The positives were mainly from those in the Greek system and having a blast. A few of “them” have remarked how they woudn’t recommend UA if a student didn’t plan on doing so. </p>

<p>I also realize most people who post on websites often do so due to having a axe to grind. But there does seem to be a running theme in most of the remarks I am getting: Greek life dominates, and not in a good way. </p>

<p>My D is a current junior. She is not in a sorority, but has a fine social life and does not feel “dominated” by the Greeks. The Greek system has little impact on her. Most of her friends are non-Greek, but she does have some friends who are in sororities or fraternities. I know several parents with children who ARE involved in Greek life, and they have fine social lives also and are happy with their choices. It’s a big school - there’s something for just about everyone. I would not hesitate to attend UA based on Greek life, whether one wants to be involved with it or not.</p>

<p>I admit that Greek Life is the one fear I have about my son attending UA. My older college kids who have friends that go to UA are also hearing that Greek Life dominates the social scene at UA and if you go there you better plan on joining. I just feel he needs to focus on getting top grades without those kind of time commitments and distractions. </p>

<p>I don’t know how Greeks “dominate” the social scene when 70% of students aren’t part of the system. Students who aren’t in fraternities and sororities have many opportunities in other organizations, and the football games are not dominated by Greeks. You get out of UA what you put in to it.</p>

<p>Doesn’t UA have the largest Greek membership in the nation? If so, it probably does dominate the social scene even though 70% aren’t part of the system. </p>

<p>Greek life is big, no doubt about it. </p>

<p>Clarifying my response, Greek Life can seem like a huge part of campus life if one wants it to seem like a big art of campus life. There are tons of events and organizations on campus where the students aren’t in Greek Life or those who are generally don’t mention it. Sure there are the occasional fraternity parties on weekends and people walking or riding to the bus to said parties, but unless one is on Old or New Row, it’s like the parties are on the other side of town. Remember too that most students would need invites to attend these private parties and are going to be doing something else instead. </p>

<p>As someone who attended classes and was friends with many students who were in Greek Life, worked near Old Row, and kept track of what was going on campus, I would occasionally forget that UA had a very active Greek Life as I chose not to make that a priority of mine. Unless one is standing by the houses all the time, only patronizes establishments popular with those participating in Greek Life, and only has friends who are participating in Greek Life, one will find other things to do provided they actually leave their bedroom, attend various events, and meet people.</p>

<p>Greek life can cost a lot at UA, but one can also reduce other expenses to help pay for it. For example, many members will live in the fraternity/sorority house or in off-campus housing with other members of their fraternity/sorority. In return for living in this less expensive housing, they have more money to pay for fraternity/sorority dues and activity fees. Unlike what some people may believe, one doesn’t have to purchase every event t-shirt. Total cost depends on how one manages their budget.</p>

<p>I don’t believe Greek Life is a good fit for every student and have long expressed concerns about the total cost being unaffordable for many students. One can make lots of friends and have a great college experience without joining a fraternity or sorority. There are also options like the coed Mallet Assembly where a group of students can live together and coordinate group events. Annual dues are currently less than $100 and students have the choice to pay to live in that housing or live elsewhere. </p>

<p>One thing to also remember is that student clubs often have unofficial events besides their regular meetings. This might involve tailgating, going to a movie, trivia night, eating at a local restaurant, hanging out at someone’s apartment etc. Attend these events and get to know people. For those who don’t have cars, carpooling is almost always an option. </p>

<p>OP, I believe that some majors have more Greek students in them than others, and this might (MIGHT) have a negative impact on some students if they let it. I agree w/ many of the comments above - you get out of university what you put into it - similarly, if you go into a place thinking that something will bug you, then it probably will.
This is a very thought-provoking thread, so thank you, and good luck w/ your decision.</p>

<p>Our DS is a freshman this year and has both Greek and Non-Greek friends and roommates. He was never interested in Greek life and that hasn’t changed during his few weeks on campus. Keep in mind, that it is a bigger deal during the first few weeks of August with rush, bidding, etc. It seems that everywhere you look, you are reading about some aspect of the Greek process (positive and negative). Some kids even begin the process and then change their mind. He knows some who tried it, didn’t like it and have already backed out!</p>

<p>I agree with others who say you get out of UA what you put into it. Those who go in with a negative attitude, have a negative experience. Our DS was excited about the university and the many opportunities available. So far it has exceeded all of his expectations and he has already forwarded several emails about prospective internships, etc. If you haven’t visited yet, be sure and do so. To get a good feel for the campus, you really need to see it first hand and talk with current students. (Disclaimer: we’ve lived in 4 southern states and visited all of the others, so DS would qualify as a southern boy.)</p>

<p>My son is also a non-Greek engineering student. He never had any desire to join a fraternity. Of his 3 roommates freshman year 1 joined a fraternity and then later dropped out, 1 didn’t join, and 1 did and is still a member. Of his 3 roommates sophomore year none were Greek. Of his 3 roomates this year (1 is the same as last year and 2 new roommates) none are Greek.</p>

<p>It is the largest Greek system, but the majority of students (with nearly 28,000 students on campus, so in excess of 14,000 students) opt not to join the Greek system.</p>

<p>My son, as many of the others who have posted, has friends who are Greek and those that are not Greek. He has attended some Greek events with friends and also participates in other activities that interest him.</p>

<p>In my opinion it’s kind of silly to believe that more than 14,000 students are all having a horrible experience. I am sure that some of those students do regret their decision not to join the Greek system or maybe tried to join, but were cut and now feel left out, just as I am sure there are some students that decided to join a Greek organization and later drop out because it was not the right fit for them.</p>

<p>My third-year daughter is not Greek nor has any desire to be. She is quite happy with her friends and the groups she is a part of (Crimson White, CBH, etc). It is important that a student find a “home” somewhere. It doesn’t have to be in a fraternity or sorority. </p>

<p>I suspect that those who think the Greeks dominate the social scene are either part of that social scene or wish they were. In either case, they may not be able to see there is life outside of it. And there is. Good life. </p>

<p>My DS is a freshman and has no interest in Greek life. None of his 3 roommates are pledging either, while several of his female friends have decided to join sororities. He has not had any problems finding things to do or people to do things with. There are so many activities on campus outside of the Greek social scene. </p>

<p>He moved in early and participated in one of the Honors Action programs - meeting many like-minded students before the majority of students moved in. He has gone to the rec center and climbed on the climbing wall multiple times. He has hung out with friends and dormmates in the common area of the dorm playing ping pong or pool. Get On Board Day was this past week and he has signed up to get additional information from several organizations that he is interested in - including kayaking, SAE Forumla car team, backpacking, etc. There are many club sport teams and intramural teams that he could join if he were interested. </p>

<p>The Greek social scene is not the only activity on this campus of 35,000 students! Please take time to visit and see the school for yourself!</p>

<p>Social life? Which part does Greek life dominate? Only the part your student would want it to.</p>

<p>Some students like that Greek life enables them to have a mostly set schedule of social activities as dictated by their respective sororities or fraternities along with a ready made base of sisters or brothers. However, that does not mean that your student is required to take part in Greek life to have an active social agenda. There are many clubs and organizations on campus (over 300), there is an Honors College with an active activity calendar, there are two outstanding recreational facilities where any student can work out, take exercise classes or join athletic programs, there are volunteer organizations that service the community, there are football games to attend and tailgating on the quad, there are campus ministries… need I go on?? Plus let’s not forget that your student should primarily be occupied with his or her academics. Think your student will be bored?? Why not encorage them to get a job on campus. That usually makes for a ready group of work friends as well as giving them a chance to earn spending money. </p>

<p>As others have said, Greek students only account for approximately 29% of the student population, so the majority of students are independents. If your student wants to forge their own way, absolutely nothing at UA will impede that. As a matter of fact, The University of Alabama is a nurturing environment that encourages all students to live up to their potential.</p>

<p>Greek life is not for everyone as stated but it is a big part of UA and always has been for many years to come… now that UA is so HUGE there isn’t room for everyone to be Greek. My son is in a fraternity - we are from Alabama and he is very happy- he is old row and most brothers are from the SE… they raise money, have fun game days, band parties, and have a great alumnae base…he will most likely stay in the State of Alabama or SE after he graduates. I am sure that most of the OS students return home or close to home to live/ work…it is up to each students choice but there is nothing wrong being Greek if YOU want to be!</p>

<p>DS is a sophomore and is not Greek. He is having a great time. I would visit and see for yourself.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>I think the point is that not everyone WANTS to go Greek and there is plenty of satisfying life outside of it. </p>

<p>And regarding the dominance of Greek life in the social scene, 25-30% sounds like a lot but compare it to Washington & Lee. That was a school my daughter considered. IIRC, 85% of their students are in the Greek system. Big difference. </p>