How big of a chance do I have for A&M engineering in general?

<p>I'm sitting at the top 35% of my class of 987 students, I have a 3.84 weighted GPA on a 5.0 scale (3.12 unweighted on 4.0 scale) - my high school is one of the most competitive schools in the state (You need to have at least a 4.3 to be in the top 10%, and at least a 4.0 for top 25%). I also have a 1920 (1270 Math + Reading) on the SAT. I have been part of numerous school clubs, like FBLA (I have 2 regional awards and 1 state award in computer based events), Mu Alpha Theta, National Honor Society, and many others. I'm also a boy scout (not Eagle though), and have 150+ hours of volunteer service. I really do want to get into this school in the Computer Engineering/Science department (I've taken 3 years of AP level computer science, and have gotten all A's in them). I know that it is selective and that I'm not even in the top 25% of my class, but do I have a chance at all of getting in?</p>

<p>I don’t think anybody can really answer you with any expertise, @elsonicmeister. Nobody knows. I mean, I guess the answer is, “Yes, you have a chance.” But nobody knows how much of a chance.</p>

<p>I do know that A&M admissions does not consider the competitiveness of the high school in their admission decisions. But that’s the extent of my knowledge in regards to your question. </p>

<p>Best of luck to you! </p>

<p>Thanks for the input :smile: just hoping for the best</p>

<p>You’re welcome. I wish I could be more definitive for you, but it’s just not possible. Unless you’re an academic admit or top 10%, it’s impossible to predict. Wishing you the best, though! :)</p>

<p>The review admit criteria is 50% class rank & scores 50% everything else ( essays, EC, leadership, interest, recs, etc) The engineering major last year reserved the last 15% of admits to the major for a competition of review admits & automatic admits that applied later (once the 85% rolling admissions limit was full- which was before Dec 1 last year). Step one is to be admitted to the university then step two will be to compete for an engineering major if they follow the same process as last year. </p>

<p>They actually do even though they say they don’t. -Someone who also went to a very competitive high school </p>

<p>P.S. Had a 3.95 unweighted on a 4.0 scale and a 5.1 weighted on a 6.0 scale and wasn’t even top 25%. </p>