how boring is purdue?

<p>how boring is purdue? im gonna apply there for engineering program. I heard you're dead there. No evntertainment or wutsoeer. The engineering program is quite hard as well. SHould i go there..</p>

<p>I'm a current freshman in engineering. It is kinda dead here, but you find ways to entertain yourself. I hang out with friends, play cards, watch movies, sit around and just talk, sometimes i'll go out with my roommate to her brother's house, which is fun. you find stuff to do. the engineering program is challenging, but it won't kill you. you have to work hard, but if you manage your time well, you'll have plenty of free time. I hardly work at all friday night to sunday early afternoon. i'm sure that'll change once finals come a bit closer. this weekend is october break, and i don't need to work at all. there's stuff i could work on, but putting it off won't cause problems. in fact my engineering professor told the class not to work during break. </p>

<p>also, there's this thing an organization (PSUB maybe) is trying to get passed called the student activity fee. you pay a certain amount at the beginning of the school year, i think $40, and that'll go towards bringing more concerts and events, as well as help fund organizations, so that should help make campus a bit more exciting. </p>

<p>as for whether or not you should go... just visit the campus. that'll really help you decide.</p>

<p>Choosing any school in a small midwestern town......that is the boring factor. If you are worried about boring then you should be applying to MIT or CalTech or Stanford for that matter. You seem to have already formed an opinion about PU from the way you worded your post. Looking at a big school is a small town....what are you expecting????</p>

<p>small midwestern town schools arent always boring... check out ohio university-athens #2 party school in the nation</p>

<p>If you can not find activities to keep you occupied outside of class work at Purdue, you really have issues. Aside from several D1 athletic programs, intramural sports, large recreation facilities, fraternities, sororoties, co-ops, dozens of clubs, 35,000+ students, just to name a few, there really isn't much to do.</p>

<p>Purdue is only as boring as you let it be. If you do not go out and do anything, it will be pretty boring for you. If you go out, make some friends, then you should have plenty of good times. Whether it is partying, playing cards, or what ever it is you like to do for fun.</p>

<p>It's a massive school...is this even a real question?</p>

<p>Boring how? Your week is obviously filled with class... so you'll only need to entertain yourself from about 6 - 11 pm everynight, which isn't hard if you have a computer and a tv.</p>

<p>As for weekends, there are a ton of parties from Thursday - Saturday night (and sometimes even Sunday)... Purdue has actually been ranked as a party school in past years. I don't think anybody sits around campus thinking "man, this place is boring. i wish i had gone to another school".</p>

<p>I guess when I hear folks talk boring it is about restaurants, theatre events, shopping, musuems, pro sports and clubs. Playing cards and partying are at every school. The closest professional sports to West Lafayette is 1 hour drive to INDY and then it is Pacers/NBA and Colts/NFL. I know that PU has golf course but that is all that I know. As for a symphony or other theatre events I know there is some of that.</p>

<p>There are plenty of restaurants (maybe not on campus, but down on the Levee and in Lafayette)... I like a lot of the food here much better than what could be found in Pittsburgh. As for shopping, there's the Tippecanoe Mall... It's obviously not as big as a mall in a bigger city, but it has what you need (Sears, Kohls, Abercrombie, Gap, Express, American Eagle, Hollister, etc...)</p>

<p>Why would you want professional sports near a campus? Maybe if you're rich, you can get your mommy and daddy to buy you tickets, but as for those who have to pay all or part of their tuition, room/board, etc, pro sports are out of the question. I couldn't even afford to go to a Steelers game before school...</p>

<p>Hm, no symphony, but good bands do swing by. 311 is playing here in November, and our music hall has the second-best acoustics in the nation. Supposedly an agent that was here over the weekend wants to try and book Tool, Nine Inch Nails, and other bands signed under whatever record label that is.</p>

<p>seawolfxix........I gotta hand it to 'ya. You came to West Lafayette from Pittsburgh and you love your school. Speaking out on CC helps students who are thinking about PU get an impression and you have certainly spoken out for Purdue........I gotta give you props for that. As to the mommy/daddy buying pro sports tickets......NOT. I have a job on campus and pay for my own....but your dig is excused.</p>

<p>Looking at CampusDirt comments on a typical Saturday night...</p>

<p>can you current Purdue students validate this? how accurate is this? more than 50% of the answers were about drinking...</p>

<p>Am I getting an inaccurate impression?</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>I am not aware of any theatre that shows foreign films.........I cannot specifically answer on clubs but it is not measured in double digits. West Lafayette is not NYC or Philly but one would not expect that it would be.</p>

<p>In response to social drinking as a main activity...</p>

<p>You'll find that a lot of college students can only have fun on weekends by drinking. At the same time, there are also a ton of students that don't drink. I personally think that there is plenty of activity for everybody.</p>

<p>yep pretty accurate from what ive seen at purdue, the girls pregrame with v8 and vodka, the guys throw down beers. Around 11 or so the real drinking starts and thats when the craziness starts. In addition a lot of the kids go down to iu on the weekends and lets not even get started on the parties down there.</p>

<p>is the boys/girls ratio really noticable? i really dont wanna go to a place with 60/40</p>

<p>nope not noticable b/c a lot of the guys are dorks. if you ever feel like getting more girls just drive down to iu. Its only like an hour and 45 min drive</p>

<p>Not really too much to do at Purdue. You've got football which is probably the best your going to get. Indy is only about an hour away, so you'll have plenty to do there.</p>

<p>If you can talk to girls, you can go to any party you want. Get to know a few pledges and brothers at multiple fraternitys and you’ll never be bored in the weekend. Also, live in a res hall and actually talk to the people on your floor. Fye isn’t horrible but if you keep up with it your set. </p>