How can I apply early with need based aid if FAFSA opens in December?

Hello,

I recently discovered that the FAFSA opens on December 1st rather than the typical October 1st deadline. If this is the case, how can I apply for need based aid if applying early action or early decision? From what I understand, colleges request the FAFSA when applying if you intend to apply for need based aid.

Thank you.

First check if your ED/EA schools require CSS Profile. If they do, that opens Oct 1, as usual and will be due around the time of the ED/EA app. Many CSS Profile schools say they will be able to provide an accurate estimate of financial aid upon ED/EA acceptance.

If your ED/EA school doesn’t use CSS Profile, you should contact the financial aid office and ask them their timing on providing financial aid packages. Ask them if they will do a financial aid pre-read.

If you want to be able to compare financial aid packages, a binding ED app might not be the right choice for you.

3 Likes

FAFSA used to open at 12:01 on Jan 1 and schools handled the FA calculations. Often that was without the tax info for the prior year, and we were all scrambling to get taxes filed by February and updating FAFSA.

They can make it work.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.