How common is the "Bro" mentality?

<p>I'm thinking about applying to UMiami, and no offense to anyone, but the only thing I don't like seems to be the attitude of a lot of students there. This review that I read describes it best I think.

[quote]
Welcome to Jersey Shore</p>

<p>School's an extension of the out-of-state, mainly New York and New Jersey. Students very stuck up, rich, and think they're on Jersey Shore. </p>

<p>Girls: Stuck up, rich girls with a "LOL OMG MIAMIII" mentality. Very spoiled, so they expect the guys to spend exorbitant amounts of money on them, and expect everything for free. Conversations with them feel very fake.</p>

<p>Guys: Lot of ******bros who think they're hard and tough. At night, look out for cars full of UM kids looking out their windows as if they're tough guys since they think driving out late at night is "cool." LOL? If you go to the wellness center, you'll notice how widespread steroid-use is at this school. Willing to spend all their $$ on a girl just to get lucky that night. Unless you're a "bro," don't expect to fit in here as the same "BRO IM IN MIAMI!!!" mentality exists like the girls.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>How true is this at Miami?</p>

<p>In my experience it is somewhat true.</p>

<p>On the other hand, you definitely don’t need to play the bro card to get laid. (This being one of the times you have to rub shoulders with other bros.)
For me the romantic European or intellectual approach worked quite well depending on how “clear” I was at the time. If you don’t really have a way to get with girls, then I doubt the bro mentality should be your primary concern.</p>

<p>Otherwise you can just avoid and ignore them, they aren’t that penetrant, and there are a plethora of different attitudes and backgrounds at UM. We are, after all, the most diverse school in the good old USA.</p>

<p>Also, if you’re intimidated by them acting tough (as if they knew how to fight, which they don’t) go ahead and join either the Brazilian jiujitsu or boxing clubs and your problem will be solved.</p>

<p>TLDR Screw em you’ll be fine.</p>

<p>Are there people like this? Definitely. But for me it was no worse than in high school. You’re always going to have people like that and at Miami you definitely have a bit more rich kids who have no concept of money, but I can assure you that it’s not hard to find normal people. None of my friends have the “bro” mentality, more like the nerdy mentality. There are people from all walks of life, don’t worry.</p>