How conservative is Texas A&M?

I am a pretty liberal student from New England who was intending to apply to Texas A&M. As a competitive archer and serious student, I was thinking that Texas A&M, a great school with a phenomenal archery team, would be a good college to add to my list, especially since it might be on the “safer” side for me given my SAT scores and GPA. Although Texas A&M is not my top choice of school, I had no doubts about applying until I began reading around the internet about the political climate of the school. Many of the discussions I read indicated that a liberal, non-religious student would have a very difficult time fitting in at Texas A&M. Now, as the application deadline comes closer, I’m getting cold feet. Is what I’ve read accurate? Would I really not fit in at Texas A&M given my liberal leanings? To what extent is Texas A&M’s climate conservative? Thank you so much for any input! :slight_smile:

Well, TAMU is the most conservative public university in the US and it tops lists of “most conservative colleges in the US”. So…

@Lola38. My son is OOS at TAMU and voted for Clinton. He said there have been election protests every day for the last two weeks. Yes, TAMU leans right (compared with most that lean left), but it’s a huge school so all factions of the political spectrum are represented.

You will really sell yourself short if you are afraid to be around people who think differently than you. Eventually you will have to go out into the real world. Don’t be a buttercup.

My son actually leans libertarian. He’s in the Political Debate and Discussion Club. Anarcho-capitalism is a popular philosophy in the Club.

BYW, if you Google your question, you will see that this is pretty much an annual discussion topic.

I am attending TAMU and definitely consider myself a liberal. While the campus is more on the conservative side, you have to keep in mind that it is a huge school and every belief will be well represented.

I am a freshman and I had the same assumption since that’s kinda the reputation of the school and community, but it is not true. Yes there are a majority conservatives, but there is definitely a liberal presence as well and an even stronger moderate presence. College politics is what you make of it, and you will find that many people become friends quickly/easily and later discuss ideologies, which often differ, but find a lot of common ground. I have a group of friends with very different stances and discussions have not had a negative affect, because there is a mutual understanding that everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

PS - since the election has passed, it has drastically calmed down. Not to say people still don’t discuss politics, but a good share of people fall out of interest and everyone else takes differences less seriously.