How did I get waitlisted at Purdue?

I had a 2230 SAT, 800’s at Maths 2 and Physics. Amazing essays and EC’s. Should I appeal? And is there any chance of an acceptance from the waitlist?

i have no insight into this other than to note that there are lots of posts right now on CC that start with “How in the world did i get waitlisted/rejected from X?” i’m not sure if its because schools let in too many students EA or what. let me ask, are you from Indiana? Maybe they’re trying to find more kids outside of the region.

If we look Purdue’s Common Data Set for 2015, we see:

Number of qualified applicants offered a place on waiting list      1,215        
Number accepting a place on the waiting list            1,208        
Number of wait-listed students admitted         368

http://www.purdue.edu/oir/CDS_Post/cds14_c.html

So if offered a spot on the waiting list, take it. Also make sure they know that if they were to offer you admission you would enroll.

Meanwhile start taking a closer look at the colleges you were admitted to. I am sure you will shine whereever you go.

@SouthernHope‌ Students with 1900 and 1800 SAT’s have been admitted with much worse grades than mine. I don’t know what happened. Purdue was my safety.

@bopper‌ I have not received any admits till now. Waitlisted at UIUC and Purdue. Rejected at Caltech. Waiting for UCLA. Lets see what happens. I think my Purdue application might have seemed slightly disinterested. I will try to change that in my appeal. You got any tips?

It could be that your major was full. Why is that your safety?

@gearmom‌ The 60% acceptance rate. And that many kids with SAT scores about 300-400 lower than mine were admitted to my major.

@gearmom‌ I was stupid I guess.

@michaelite You’re an international student. There are not a lot of spots. If you choose computer engineering, that is difficult to get in anyway. Probably the top students take that.

Did you need financial aid? That could kill it.

@gearmom‌ I guess thats what did me in. Am going to appeal this. Lets see what happens. Do you have any tips for the appeal process?

Did you need financial aid?

@gearmom‌ No.

You are Indian? You are an ORM. Much harder to get in if you are Indian or Asian. Do you have a safety in India?

@gearmom‌ Of course. I have some good options in India. But nothing like Purdue or other great American universities.

I would have suggested UMass Amherst as your safety. Not sure what you can do to appeal. You could take gap year and try again with better choices. The top schools are probably flooded with great CS/CE from India.

@gearmom‌ Ok. Thanks.

People have been asking themselves questions like that for the last two weeks about other schools. Have your GC call. Have someone check your file at your school and at the college to make sure there was no mistakes or missing items. Usually the GC can find the stated reason, may not be real reason but it is more information than you have. I recently found out that a school I was WL (and was not surprised I was WL at) did not like my major.

If you would definitely go there say that. If you might definiately go there but not until after you hear fom X then wait on the letter until you hear from X but accept your spot immediately. Also, find out if there is any differene if you write them now or after April 1 (some slite schools want to hear from you about the WL before you hear from HYPS or so I have heard, this way you are choosing them as opposed to settling for them). If you are not sure if you would ever go there but are considering it then just say still very interested. If you get in someplace that you want please withdraw so someone else can take the spot.

List ANY additional accomplishments or update existing accomplishments (eg As the President of the Bumper Sticker Club we have an additional 50 cars with our bumper sticker, beating out high school down the street by 1 car)

If your grades are good send them.

@SaphireNY‌ Ok, will do so. Thanks.

@SaphireNY‌ Can I send in additional letters of recommendation, because I have no further achievements in the past 2-3 months? And should I accept my spot before appealing?

Yes on the letters of recommendation if they are really good. Have the recommender contact your regional rep directly or have your GC do it. I did not apply to PU and know nothing about the school or IF there is an appeal process. I do not know if accepting the WL cancels out an opportunity to appeal or if appealing causes you to lose your spot on the WL. That is a questions someone at your school will have to find out. I cannot advise you on which option to take.

First have someone from your school contact them to inquire what happened and to indicate you are very interested

Given a 30% acceptance from WL in prior years if the quoted stats are accurate, I would tread gently when contacting them as you still have a chance. You just have to see how prior year stats are impacted by your international status and the large ED/EA pool that was admitted this year. Prior years may or may not be relevant. If it was EA so not binding your chances are much better than if they were ED as many students are encouraged to apply early to EA even if they do not want to go