How did I get waitlisted at Purdue?

@Dhruv97‌ I guess you are right about that.

No one is ever rejected for being over-qualified. But that does people feel good

Google Tufts Syndrome

T26E How can a school not read recommendation letters? At to make sure kid is not a problem

@SaphireNY‌ Just did. And read an article on it. Its seems ridiculous and unfair if it is true. Purdue is a dream school for me and I will make that clear in an email to them. Lets see what follows. And thanks.

It says on their website that they are allowed to deny applicants if spots aren’t open. In your case, they waitlisted seeing that you are a strong applicant so you’d have a high change of getting in off the waitlist. About your appeal, there’s no point if you’ve been accepted to another school that’s Purdue’s equal

I have definitely heard of strong applicants being rejected because their applications look like successful admits at more selective schools, meaning the applicant is likely to accept another offer and would affect the less selective school’s “yield.” Crazy but true (and a little unfair to the applicant).

@Dhruv97‌ I have not been accepted anywhere yet. Waitlisted at UIUC and Purdue. Rejected at Caltech.

@Loganator‌ Maybe…

@Loganator That practice is much more common at private universities. Publics tend to rely more on quantitative data like test scores and class rank, typically wanting to drive their averages in these two areas as high as possible.

Have you read this?
http://www.collegeconfidential.com/dean/000053/
http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/college-admissions/678271-tufts-syndrome.html
@Loganator‌ true and unfair.

@Jr12317‌ Saw it. Dunno what to make of it.

Purdue, like most state schools, does not act like Tufts.

@michaelite. Your scores are really high just look your stats. Hope you can get in. Best of luck!!

@Jr12317‌ Thanks for the encouragement.

@Zinhead‌ As I said, I don’t know what to make of it.

I have a friend who ended up with nothing but 2 waitlists last year out of 16(?) schools – everything else was a rejection, including the targets and safeties, and students from the same HS with lesser qualifications (even one with a suspension on record) were admitted to some of the schools. It was absolutely disastrous, and this was the GC’s best interpretation after making a few calls. The GC was completely shocked.

@Loganator‌ That is totally unfair. Though I am not sure if that is what has happened in my case.

I’ve been waitlisted at UIUC and GaTech. I saw that you’re applying to UCLA (I am too) so hopefully it works out for you there

@Dhruv97‌ All the best dude.

It was unfair, @michaelite, as well as extremely devastating and demoralizing at the time…but everything worked out beautifully for my friend, and it will work out for you, too!

Ok will ask L what happened to your friend