How difficult is it to maintain a high GPA after transferring to a T20

I’m currently a sophomore at a state university looking to transfer to a ~T20 university next year. I’m wondering how difficult it would be to maintain a relatively similar high GPA (3.9+) to that attained in my years at the state university. This is a critical factor in the decision process as I am looking to apply to law school upon graduation. I am pursuing a BA in political science. Thanks

Why don’t you just get your bachelors where you are…

3 Likes

It’s impossible for us to answer. On the one hand, top privates tend to be generous with As. On the other hand, the general level is excellent so the quantity of reading is going to be much greater and the paper quality you need to produce to get an A will have to be topnotch. So, if your main reason for transferring is academically/intellectually challenging yourself you’ll find that.

A more important criterion would be cost: would the top private universities where you’d transfer be affordable without loans ?

Why are you transferring? Why not stay where you are?

2 Likes

Likely depends on the school, professors, etc.

Obviously, you’ll have a social transition and more - which can impact - everything from your comfort to finding study groups, etc.

If you’re going to law school, why would you transfer? Your school won’t matter - and if you’ve had any advising- well you’d have to start again.

I’d say there’s risk - but it’s hard to answer because every school and prof are different.

2 Likes

Of course you can do equally well at another college but nobody can know for sure. There is a risk, especially if you are taking a course of study where knowledge is cumulative.

Why do you want to transfer if you are settled in and doing very well in your current school?

Keep in mind that transferring successfully is certainly possible but it is not always easy (I transferred after one year). You will be moving into a situation where most of your peers have established routines, friend groups, understand the academic expectations, etc. while much will be new to you.

3 Likes

Depends on the school, the classes you take, your major, other factors. There is no “T-20” uniform level of rigor. You might want to look at individual schools to see if they have a reputation for grade inflation/deflation, but nothing about placement in a ranking system is going to tell you anything about how likely you are to maintain your A. At Harvard, most people have A averages. At Reed College (ranked far lower among LACs, but mostly because they don’t play the rankings game), there is very little attention given to letter grades, but it’s difficult to get an A – and they have an excellent record of successful grad school and law school applicants. Ranking has nothing to do with any of this.

You’re a sophomore – so it’s likely that your GPA could drop a little at your current institution as you get into more advanced classes next year. Or it could rise, because you’re going to focus on classes in your major. It’s just impossible to know, but rankings will have nothing to do with it.

3 Likes

poor academics, unsatisfactory competition, little prestige, no social life, limited clubs and extracurriculars

sorry i responded to the wrong comment

poor academics, unsatisfactory competition, little prestige, no social life, limited clubs and extracurriculars. I’ll likely look into better public schools to transfer to I was just being somewhat optimistic

I am sorry that you feel this way about your current school. Have you attempted to join clubs and participate in activities, despite limited availability? Remember that prestige will not matter for law school admissions.

1 Like

Yes and I have already decided on transferring. I understand that prestige itself is unimportant but it is indicative of greater academics and research/career opportunities

Not necessarily.

But if you are really unhappy where you are, then research multiple transfer options. Consider costs as well. Transfer students typically don’t get as much need based or merit aid as incoming freshmen…so please find an affordable college.

Have you looked at your own instate flagship university?

3 Likes

If you want research opportunities, go talk to a professor of interest and volunteer. At most, if not all schools, there’s research opportunities.

Your school might offer more than you realize.

2 Likes

Does your current college have an honors program?

1 Like

My D22 is a sophomore at UCLA (which I think is T15 this year?), and has maintained high grades, but not quite as high as high school. Mostly As and a couple of Bs. History and Economics double major. The club scene is very competitive—which is kind of a downer/stressful, and often disappointing. But the teaching is amazing and the social life is, too. She loves it. There is a strong transfer community also.

Yes but I have many other issues with the college that this wouldn’t fix. I am considering transferring to ASU’s honor college

Yeah I’m from Arizona so ASU’s honor college is one of my more realistic choices

3 Likes

Be careful, in the past 10 years or so AZ has cut funding to its universities by more than 50% (the most in the nation by far) and is now considering cuts to its Liberal Arts programs. Nothing is certain on the matter yet; the extent and targets of the cuts aren’t known but are likely to hit political science, history, etc.
So, do apply to Barrett as well as to UA Honors (they take Spring transfers in fact), but diversify your application list.

If you’re at a commuter AZ branch campus, I can understand why you wouldn’t have the proper level of challenge nor a sense of community.

The second issue will be financing: did you save $$ by attending your current college and if so can the money now be used where you transfer?

Research and demonstrate interest at various colleges known for their academics even if they’re not T20. For instance, Pitzer, Occidental, Whitman have excellent financial aid and academics. Emory, WashU StLouis could be on your list.

Barrett is pay to play - as is the program at U of A.

So while departments may see cuts, I’d think these programs will be ok - especially Barrett given it’s standing in the Honors world.

I do think a lot of the - what will happen - is very premature. This was a note to faculty, etc. about upcoming “changes” - but it’s just the first step in a long negotiation - which includes the legislature as well.

Many schools are making changes - maybe just not as publicly.

Much of it is the demand for certain majors - or lack there of…that will drive all this.

1 Like