How difficult is my current schedule? (Incoming Freshman)

<p>I am currently an engineering major. I took a class over the summer at a local community college for my engineering explorations class, so it is not listed on my schedule. Currently this is my fall schedule:</p>

<p>MATH 1205: Calculus - 3 credits
CHEM 1035: Chemistry - 3 credits
CHEM 1045: Chemistry Lab - 1 credit
ENGL 1105: Freshman English - 3 credits
MATH 1114: Elementary Linear Algebra - 2 credits
UNIV 1004: College Success Strategies - 3 credits
Total: 15 credit hours</p>

<p>What do you think? Does it seem do-able? I have heard that most freshman engineering majors don't do so well and I don't want to be part of that failing percentage.</p>

<p>How are you in that 1004 class? Isn’t that for undecided majors only?</p>

<p>I think it’s pretty easy. Calculus (at that level) isn’t hard at all.</p>

<p>Only some of those UNIV 1004 classes are restricted to University Studies majors. </p>

<p>This is the one I am in.</p>

<p><a href=“https://banweb.banner.vt.edu/ssb/prod/HZSKVTSC.P_ProcComments?CRN=95768&TERM=09&YEAR=2010&SUBJ=UNIV&CRSE=1004&history=N[/url]”>Comments and Restrictions for CRN: 95768;

<p>You should be able to view that. </p>

<p>What about the other classes like Linear Algebra and College Chemistry?</p>

<p>That’s a very easy schedule. Linear algebra is a joke, and the first semester of Chem isn’t that hard. You should take another class, like an elective to fill a core requirement or something.</p>

<p>Wow…that is cake. That means lots of drinking for you!</p>

<p>Or screw the UNIV 1004 BS class, and move on. Take Vector Geometry (you’ll need to anyways), or take the next Engineering Explorations (there are two).</p>

<p>I went to the timetable of classes and looked at other required courses for the freshman engineering. I saw Foundation of Physics and Vector Geometry. It won’t let me add them because one of the pre-requisites is Math 1205, Calculus. I guess I could try to find an elective to take that would help me in engineering. Any suggestions? Also I kind of want to take the 2nd engineering course in the Spring with the other GE majors, so I won’t add that class.</p>

<p>Look at what CLE requirements you need and get two of those out of the way. Get rid of the UNIV course.</p>

<p>Most of my CLE requirements are met besides the requirements met specifically by the engineering major itself. About 20 of my college credits actually transferred into Virginia Tech, so I have already eliminated some CLE areas without even attending Virginia Tech. Also, why should I drop the UNIV course? I know it doesn’t count towards any degree and is pretty much wasted credit, but I don’t really have anything to put it in its place.</p>

<p>I just did some research on my CLE requirements and my community college transfers.</p>

<p>Area 1: English 1105+1106 complete the requirement. English 1105 is a first semester class for me, while 1106 is a spring semester class.
Area 3: Psychology and Sociology classes from community college transfer to fulfill this area.
Area 4: Fulfilled in Chemistry and Physics courses.
Area 5: Fulfilled by Calculus 1 and 2.
Area 6: Fulfilled by Art History community college transfer credit</p>

<p>Currently I am only missing Areas 2 and 7, but I have a question on those. </p>

<p>I currently have transfer credit from a community college for two history electives. I’ll post the photobucket link so you can view it yourself.</p>

<p><a href=“http://i857.■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■/albums/ab135/jamesisahokie2014/transfercredits.jpg[/url]”>http://i857.■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■/albums/ab135/jamesisahokie2014/transfercredits.jpg&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Could those history electives possibly fulfill my requirements in Area 2 or 7?</p>

<p>You can double check with the Registrar’s office by emailing them, but I highly doubt it. Those history electives count as “Free Electives” but for areas, they have to be specific courses listed on the timetable. If you want to save yourself some time/coursework, take a History course called “Engineering Cultures.” You will learn how engineering evolved in multiple countries such as Japan and Germany. But the benefit of this course is that it counts for both an Area 7 and Area 2. It’s full now, but if you can ever get into the online version, do IT!</p>

<p>I have an insane amount of luck. Someone dropped the online engineering cultures class as I refreshed the page. I dropped UNIV1004 and added the HIST2054 class. Thanks for all the input on my schedule. Now I will only need 1 more class to fulfill all my CLE requirements.</p>

<p>I have a question about a teacher. I have looked on *******.com and collegiatetimes.com on Professor Trivedi. If you have had him, what is his class like? I also can take another professor, SM Arachchige, but I cannot find any reviews on them. Have any of you ever had that professor? If so, what is the class like? Currently I am monitoring the Drop/Add section for someone with Professor Amateis, but no one has dropped for several hours.</p>

<p>Trivedi is fantastic and he saves you money.</p>

<p><a href=“http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs029.snc1/3184_1143919032336_1058283451_415648_2548402_n.jpg[/url]”>http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs029.snc1/3184_1143919032336_1058283451_415648_2548402_n.jpg&lt;/a&gt;
[YouTube</a> - The Final Demonstration of Ketan Trivedi](<a href=“The Final Demonstration of Ketan Trivedi - YouTube”>The Final Demonstration of Ketan Trivedi - YouTube)</p>

<p>Also, you can play Trivedi Bingo if you’re in his class.</p>

<p>I’ve read some good and bad reviews about him. Overall he seems like a very entertaining professor, but I hate the fact that he calls students out in the middle of his class. I’ve never done well with being called on in class. I really don’t want to look like an idiot in front of 494 other students. That is one of my main reasons for not wanting to take his class.</p>

<p>Take Trivedi. No clue who the other guy is but you want Trivedi.</p>

<p>Also, I’m about 90% sure one of the guys on stage in that video was my freshman year roommate. Freshman chem has the coolest demos, that’s for sure.</p>

<p>I want to take Trivedi, but being called out in front of 494 other students terrifies me. I am not good with being put on the spot. I’m trying to see if a spot with Amateis is going to open up.</p>

<p>You could always sit in the back…? Or get over your fear which’ll be good for you :-)</p>

<p>If you mean the guy with long hair, I know him! It’s weird how many people you recognize, even if you don’t know them.</p>

<p>I think you’ll be alright; seems like a pretty standard load and at least you’re thinking about managing it all ahead of time. You’re ahead of the curve.</p>

<p>I’m not worried about Trivedi’s class at all after what I read about my calculus professor. He supposedly screams at his students, doesn’t teach the class effectively, and makes insanely difficult tests that even top students don’t know how to prepare for. All of this from several reviews on ratevtteachers.com for Albert J. Zweisler. There wasn’t one positive comment.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Believe me, Trivedi is very careful to show students respect when he calls on them, he makes it clear to everyone that he doesn’t tolerate people laughing at the person called on. Also, the people who do get called on tend to be talking and/or not paying attention.</p>

<p>The bad news is that if you’re scared to answer when you get called on you won’t be a very effective Trivedi bingo player.</p>

<p>Also, as far as Calculus goes, there is tons of Calculus material available online, don’t hesitate to use that if you’re at all unsure on any concept.</p>

<p>“If you want to save yourself some time/coursework, take a History course called “Engineering Cultures.” You will learn how engineering evolved in multiple countries such as Japan and Germany. But the benefit of this course is that it counts for both an Area 7 and Area 2.”</p>

<p>Whoa. I thought you couldn’t count 1 class as fulfilling two areas. I thought it could go either way but not both. I think this is where I got it from:
[Area</a> 6: Creativity and Aesthetic Experience | Curriculum for Liberal Education | Virginia Tech](<a href=“http://www.cle.prov.vt.edu/guides/area6.html]Area”>http://www.cle.prov.vt.edu/guides/area6.html)</p>

<p>“Some courses noted in this section are also listed in Area 2; remember that they CANNOT be used to count for BOTH Area 2 and Area 6 for an individual student.”</p>

<p>But now that I look at it I guess thats only for trying to use both area 2 and area 6 credit. So Engineering Cultures counts as 3 credits for both area 7 and area 2?</p>