How difficult/time consuming are these Freshman Engg classes?

<p>Working through my son’s schedule, I see that he has several 1 credit classes first semester:</p>

<p>CS121 Discipline of Computing
CS160 Computer Science Concepts
ENGG111 Engineering for the Future
ENGG142 Engineering Concepts and Design</p>

<p>The above are just 1 credit courses, but from the descriptions it seems they could be time consuming with projects/papers, etc. </p>

<p>The other classes he will be taking for sure are:</p>

<p>CS150 Programming 1 (2cr)
MTH145 Calculus 1 (4 cr)
Possibly Million Dollar Band and a couple of Percussion Ensemble groups (depending on scheduling)</p>

<p>There is also the possibility he will have to take ENG 103 if he does not pass the AP to test out of it. </p>

<p>I am guessing he should probably add another 3/4 credit class to the above (assuming he places out of ENG 103) but if the 1 credit classes are time consuming, he wants to take that into account when finding another class.</p>

<p>my daughter didn’t have any trouble with any of these classes. not very time consuming. she had PLENTY of free time.</p>

<p>wdaveo…my son will be entering as CS freshman next year too! We were looking at the 1 credit classes, and wondering about them too. He has AP tested out of some of them, but not all of them.</p>

<p>I was a CS freshman last semester and took several of these classes.</p>

<p>CS121 Discipline of Computing–This was super easy. Go to lecture, use clickers, and write 3, 500 word short essays. No tests or other homework. No final.</p>

<p>CS160 Computer Science Concepts–Also not time consuming, and was fairly simple even for people without much experience in programming. Two tests that are easily studied for, and a project at the end of the semester that requires some out-of-class work. No final.</p>

<p>ENGR111 Engineering for the Future-- Similar to CS121. No tests, 3 500 word essays. Did have a textbook, and the clicker questions in class were graded on a correct/incorrect basis. But there was a lot of extra credit available, so intensively studying the book is definitely not necessary. No final.</p>

<p>ENGR142–I didn’t take this class.</p>

<p>CS150–This was probably my most time-intensive class. I didn’t have a lot of experience with programming, and the format is a mostly teach-yourself rather than having instructors that really teach you. Quizzes each week graded as pass/fail, weekly reports and activities (reports graded on completeness, activities helped with tests, but were not graded. Three tests (very managable if you do the activities and look at previous tests they post on the website), three projects (depending on how much you know, these can take a decent amount of time), and a final.</p>