How do Community College class credit and grades work for TAMU?

1. Do Community College class grades (taken as a high school student) transfer to TAMU? My daughter is taking Physics at the local community college just for fun and outside of the school day. It is the regular Engineering physics class and lab (NOT Dual Credit). Will the grade she gets be included in her TAMU GPA or does the class credit just transfer?
  2. Can a Community College class be repeated at TAMU?

@Thelma2 and anyone else who knows: Here is the backstory: My daughter is taking Engineering Physics at the local community college. Not sure if the teaching is really bad (she thinks so) or if the class is just that hard but she has a “B” at this point. She is trying to figure out if a “B” is going to follow her to TAMU and cause her to start out with 3.0 gpa. She is also concerned that she is not being taught/learning the material to the caliber of TAMU Physics standards and will be behind in the next Physics class. Thus, wondering if it is possible to repeat the class at TAMU so she has a solid foundation. She is an Engineering major (Computer Science hopefully) to start this Fall 2019.

I don’t know about whether or not a class can be retaken but no grades from transfer classes carry over to the tamu gpa.

As @rosegeo said, any DC or other college/university course grades that are transfered in, will not count towards the TAMU GPA.

The curriculum has changed beginning with class 2022, so unless it changes again, the required Physics as of right now, is PHYS 206 or CCN PHYS 2325. If that is not the physics she is taking, then the one she is taking may not be credit for the 206 requirement.

If she is in PHYS 2425, and A&M doesn’t accept it for 206 credit, it could be a good into course so when she takes 206, it is easier. I they do accept 2425 as credit for 206, she will then just take two other sciences on campus, most likely chemistry and Physics 207. 207 was designed so that there is no CCN and it can only be taken at TAMU.

Whatever courses she has credit for will transfer over as credit and she will just be required to take additional courses in those subject on campus at A&M.
Usually you are not allowed to repeat a major core class if the original grade is passing. I know of one student who did retake his DC for both calculus classes instead of differential equations. It made his ineligible at ETAM for any major that was ABET accredited, per what his mother told me. The major he wanted was IDIS anyway, so it didn’t matter. IDIS doesn’t require DE and he didn’t want to take it as a required math on campus,

Thank you ladies for your help! This is very helpful and relieving information to hear. @Thelma2 , I appreciate all the time you spend on College Confidential helping us! I wish you could get paid per post somehow!!

@Thelma2 So even if I both have Physics 2425 and 2426, will I need to take 207? I am transferring in this fall

Just a side note, while the grade doesn’t factor in, it will be reflected on your transcript for all the world to see.

@kingofSodium Transfer requirements are different than incoming freshman requirements. What you need to do is look at what the current transfer course sheet requirements for your specific major. http://admissions.tamu.edu/transfer/majors