How do I deal with racism?

People at my school make fun of me and make jokes about me all the time cause I’m black and I’m dark skinned. I do well in school but this racism thing is starting to affect my grades. I finished with a 3.6 GPA this year as a freshman but it could have been higher if I wasn’t distracted by racism and things going on. I have asked my parents if we can move numerous times but they still say no. I live in the rural south which makes it even worse. I can’t find friends because I don’t fit in and Im scared of being judged because of my skin color. What should I do?

Stand up to them and tell them it bothers you or tell an adult that you trust. That’s the type of thing that shouldn’t be happening, however some people may be so blinded by their own ignorance that they may not even realize that it is hurting people

I’m so sorry that you are having to go through this. This is a hard question, because there’s really nothing you can do. I think there’s a time in life when we all have to come to terms with the fact that some people won’t like you (and for the stupidest of reasons, like the color of your skin). Have you gone to the school administration/teachers? Maybe that would help. Know that their approval doesn’t matter; don’t care what they think. I’m sure there are people who you could be friends with. It seems to me like overt racism is less prevelant with teens and I bet there are some kids who won’t judge you based on the color of your skin. Don’t let ignorant people bring you down. Ignore them, and keep working hard. Chin up, let your success do the talking.

@shawnspencer I told my parents and they wanted to go to the school but I told them not to because I didn’t want any trouble. Even the teachers at my school don’t like me. My math teacher asked me if I cheated on a test because I got a 100 on it. Funny thing is she never asked a white kid if they cheated on a test when they made a 100.

Agree with the posts above. Work really hard in school to try to get into an environment in college (or post college if you must) where this is not a factor. The better your grades and test scores, the more choices you will have.

@ZBlue17 My parents wanted to go to the school but I didn’t want any trouble so I told them not to. Teachers aren’t really any better. My math teach asked me if I chafed on a test just because I got a 100 on it. She asked me that absurd question in front of the whole entire class too. Thank you for the words of encouragement.

@intparent I will try :slight_smile:

Sorry about your math teacher. I think you should let your parents talk to your school, personally. And I’d make sure they told the story about your math teacher. It may not help… but it could. Some schools take this seriously.

Well sooner or later you will have to either take action to resolve the issue on your own or get others involved to help remedy the situation. There is no shame in asking for help, that’s what they are there for. If you think that it is unintentional and due to negligence, then perhaps talking it out would be the best option. If you think there is malevolence involved, then taking action on the situation and separating yourself from those that say those hurtful things may be your best bet. I’m sorry that you have to deal with such a difficult situation.

Going along with intparent said, if you work hard in school and get good grades you can qualify for scholarships at many different institutions that will hopefully be more open-minded and tolerant. If you are planning to take the PSAT, study hard for that and you may qualify as a National Merit Finalist, which leads to a lot of scholarship money at different places. In the meantime, don’t let others define your self-worth, if anything, use that as fuel to prove them wrong. Look out for those that are friendly and will not judge you based on these factors. Talk to them about common interests and make friends that way. Perhaps also join a volunteer group or organization? I have found some of the most compassionate people and some of my best friends that way.

@intparent I will have to wait to do that until August cause I just got out of school last wednesday but i will take it into consideration. How have you dealt with racism?

@shawnspencer Thank you for the help. I do need to join clubs lol. I wanted to join clubs but I was too lazy to. I think the problem is that I’m hanging around the wrong people. The people who have said racist things to me were able to because I was around them. I just got to find people at my school who won’t judge me based off of my skin color. 3 more years of high school and I will be done. Cant wait to get out of the south.

I am not a minority, but our school did deal with bullying when one of my kids was in middle school. The school shut it down, it was good. Hopefully your school will take your issues seriously.

@intparent Thats good what the school did. I think I will first go to the school counselor and talk about it and then maybe the school will have a get together where the principles discuss the racism.

If you are artistic in any way, put this experience into your art whether it is poetry, short stories, film, music, dance, etc.

At the very least you should get a powerful overcoming hardships college essay out of it.
If you have a phone, film your experiences to show your principal or even post on social media.

@nw2this Right. I was thinking of doing it. I should have taken a picture of the n word in the locker room. I feel like a big idiot now for not doing that. It’s gone now though. Hopefully colleges will understand. I don’t want colleges to think I’m only writing about my experience if I’m expecting them to feel sorry for me and accept me.

No, definitely not. You have to overcome the experience and come out ahead by managing to excel academically and help others who have had the same experience or otherwise positively impact your community. Only write about how you turned the situation around.

@nw2this Ok.

I want to encourage all students to stay strong and strive for excellence in all you do. Unfortunately, many black students find themselves being the only black student in advanced classes. Sometimes negative comments about race are made by students and other times by teachers. Remember you belong in that class. My son graduated in a class of 523 students. He was 1 of only 3 black male athletes to graduate from the Governor’s School or Governor’s STEM Academy. Other black athlete’s would also given them a hard time but they stayed strong. Go get what belongs to you!

@justice66 It’s not just the people in my classes who are racist, it’s pretty much the whole entire school that is filled with racists. Im losing my mind. I don’t know how longer I can maintain my sanity before I go off. The people who I thought were my friends were just selfish racist white kids that back stabbed me. My school doesn’t have many black people only about 5 percent black. Most of the blacks at my school are juniors or seniors. There are only 3 or 4 other blacks in my grade which has over 300 people.

@ihatewhereilive: I ache to know that this is the situation you are in daily, and the place you are sent to think, grow and develop into a young adult.

My biggest concern, after reading the depth of anguish in your last post, is your safety, both physical and psychological. Are you safe, young one?

There are so many reasons that your parents are probably there for the long haul, raising a family is such a difficult thing to do, and our jobs and sense of security in providing so easily jeopardized. But your parents will want to know, and certainly need to have impressed upon them, that you are hurting so deeply.

Let them work with the other adults in whom they place faith at maintaining a safe environment for you - the school administrators and teachers. Let them advocate for you, knock down doors, work with others who will implement measures on your behalf.

Each morning when you awaken, as you learn to practice your shrugging off of the taunts, the teasing, the targeted comments and actions, you can remember that you are facing ugliness which has, in no way, anything to do with the measure of your worth or beauty. Each morning that you return to those vile conditions, you show others that their ugliness has nothing to do with you, and as you grow a little stronger, a little taller, they diminish in size, sound, and strength.

However, you must not fight this, or endure this, alone. There is nothing about anything you have said which is okay.

Take certain actions - remove yourself from those who would harm you, and be careful who you move to let into your life. You will always be your biggest advocate - You. Others love and support you, but you must also do this work.

Reach out to those older kids, I am sure your story will reflect at least one of theirs. You can find a source of support with them if you seek it out.

You are dark skinned. Say that like it is supposed to be said, I am Black, and I am proud. Black, big B, and Black, little b. All of it is good.

Black runs dark to light, 'cause Black is heart. Black is love, young one.

To pull from, and paraphrase, India.Arie, “I can’t tell where yours ends, I can’t tell where mine begins.”

Say it.