How do I look for architecture? its really hard to get in?

<p>Objective:
SAT I (breakdown): 780 Math 740 (1520) CR 780 Writing (2300)
SAT II: 800 chemistry, 780 Math II, 790 History
Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0): 4.0
Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): top of the class probs?
AP (place score in parenthesis): APUSH (5), AB Calc (5), Chemistry (5), Lang (4)
Senior Year Course Load: AP Italian, AP Econ, AP BC Calc, AP Physics, Honors English, Honors Western Civ, Fine Arts
Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.): AP Scholar, Women’s Society of Engineers Math and Science, other little science and history things, NHS </p>

<p>Subjective:
Extracurriculars (place leadership in parenthesis): National Italian Honor Society (President), Cross Country (Varsity Letter and a couple of awards), Track, Newspaper (editor, illustrator), Jersey Shore Science League (captain), Math team, History Bowl Team, Art Club at Library, classical pianist for 7 yrs
Job/Work Experience: nada!
Volunteer/Community service: thrift shop that donates to charity (120 hrs), tutoring (30+ hours), farm/park volunteer (30+ hrs), Library Midterm Tutor (3 hrs lol)
Summer Activities: volunteering, cross country, architecture design camp at NJIT
Essays: probably good
Teacher Recommendation: probably fantastic<br>
Interview: </p>

<p>Other
State (if domestic applicant): NJ
Country (if international applicant): US
School Type: public
Ethnicity: white

<p>I have no idea how hard it is to get into architecture, but your stats in general look great!</p>

<p>I believe like two years ago V-tech was in an international architect competition and placed 2nd. So this architect is pretty hard to get into, but your academic scores are fantastic. I think there’s no way why they would reject you.</p>

<p>thanks guys i hope so!! im just worried since its so highly ranked</p>

<p>Your resume couldn’t be much better. It’s a bit of a crap-shoot at the CAUS though, so I wouldn’t take it personally if you don’t get in.</p>

<p>thanks yeah that’s what I thought</p>

<p>Unless you are madly in love with architecture then I have no idea why you would want to do it at Tech…I mean other than the fact that we are always one of the best if not the best school. With your impressive credentials it seems like you could get into any program at Tech and a lot of other schools. Anywayz here is why it might not be the best idea:</p>

<p>I know a bunch of people in architecture here (I’m in engineering). I know of a few that have graduated, a few that are about to graduate and a few that are starting up. All I have to say is that they work their butts off for five years (maybe even more so than the engineers), and then come out with the best architecture degree in the nation and can’t find a job. Even my friends who graduated have 3.8s and 3.9s and still can’t find anything (in architecture anyway). Although, I’m not sure how hard they have looked. But you would think that people would be all over hiring these students, but I’ve been told that finding a job in architecture is next to impossible right now and I’ve seen the evidence.</p>

<p>If it is what u love to do, go for it. On a positive note, those who have done it seem to love it. They say it is hard work but they take pride in it. The architects are a different bread of people…no matter what hour you are up working there are always 5 architects up working. Just don’t except to be scouted out or even be able to easily find a job.</p>

<p>mbdarbin, you have wonderful statistics- congratulations on all of your hard work- and you should have a very good chance at being admitted to the CAUS. Your gender will help you. Like engineering, architecture is a male dominated field and they are always looking to add diversity to the incoming classes. Every spring it is surprising to see students who have superb statistics be waitlisted or denied to VT, and with architecture it happens more so because it is the hardest admit of all of the majors there. </p>

<p>I will tell you like I have told my two kids, you have done all you can to make yourself be a wonderful and very competitive applicant; now relax. It is out of your hands. If you get in, hurray! If not, do great things at wherever you end up; this might not have been the best place for you for some reason. (But I really do hope you get in !:slight_smile: )</p>

<p>vthokie shared some very good points about the field. It is tough right now for kids coming out with this degree to land a job, but hopefully things are starting to improve a bit. You are five years out from when you start to look, so that is a good thing. The rigor of the major won’t change though, that is a given. I am glad to see that you attended a design camp and maybe got a taste of what is in store. Also CAUS has a new program- kind of a new arch student summer school, where you can get ahead with a few classes, meet some of your incoming classmates, etc. Take a look at it if you are indeed admitted. </p>

<p>Best of luck to you!</p>

<p>thanks guys! I think I saw somewhere that architects have the highest unemployment rate. and its probably a bit easier if you get youre arch degree at a NYC school. yes, it is a problem that, i must admit, i try to ignore. but one of the good things at VT is that the school has so many programs to go into if i dont fit architecture i can do practically anything else.</p>

<p>That is a really good point. My son was accepted into Industrial Design. He is now in the process of transferring into Pamplin for business. He enjoyed first year in ID, but was not in love with it. He was also concerned about the employment outlook.
You will know fairly quickly whether it is for you or not. But if not there are many options at VT for you to choose from.
It’s a win/win situation!</p>