How do I study?

I’m currently a Junior looking to take the SAT. I was planning on taking the SAT on June 1 giving me around 2 months to study. I have begun doing Khan Academy problems and bought a Grammer and Math prep book. What would be the best way for me to retain all the information? Should I just go through the lessons in my prep book and finish the sample problems at the end of each lesson?

If you took the PSAT, then Khan can link to collegeboard and create a study program based on your PSAT performance. My son did that and scored 1560. He said khan was great.

Good luck!

2 Likes

The more practice you do the better you will be able to retain and recall. Try doing different types of questions and focus on your weak areas.

1 Like

Yes, that is a good idea.

The SAT Prep Black Book is excellent.

I am a Junior who took the SAT back in November and scored a 1570. I know this reply might be kind of late and really close to the June 1 testing date, but I would say in the final days, figure out the best strategy for you. I took the test in both October and November, and the biggest thing that allowed me to get a 80 point increase was changing my strategy. Some things to consider about SAT strategy:

• Identify which type of genre for passages is the easiest vs hardest for you
  • What order do I tackle my Reading passages? Easy to Hard? Hard to Easy?
  • Do I answer easy questions first on any section and then tackle the harder ones later? Or do I tackle one problem at a time?
  • What formulas do I need to memorize for Math?
2 Likes

It’s great that you’ve started preparing for the SAT! To retain the information effectively, I suggest a balanced approach. Start by going through the lessons in your prep book to build a strong foundation. Then, practice with sample problems and take full-length practice tests to apply what you’ve learned and gauge your progress. Additionally, consider setting a study schedule, reviewing your mistakes, and seeking help when you encounter challenging topics. Consistency and a mix of learning and practice will be key to your success. Good luck with your preparation!

1 Like