How do students dress?

<p>I will be attending the University of Alabama next fall, and I was wondering how students dress on campus. I am from New Jersey, and I attend a large public school. My normal daily outfit when it’s warm is a t-shirt, basketball shorts, and a snap-back hat. When it’s colder, I usually wear jeans or sweatpants, and a hoodie. I’ve never been one to wear khakis, sperrys, or polos. I’ve heard that students at UA dress very preppy, and most people dress the same. Could someone please explain to me what the style is there? Give me examples of winter and summer outfits. Thank you and Roll Tide.</p>

<p>Others can/will chime in, but the way you will want to dress will depend on what activities you are involved in. Events in fraternities, Honors College, First Year Experience, and other research/leadership activities will require you to dress much better than you may be used to. There are other threads which discuss this in more detail. If you’re taking Chem, you will need long sleeves, long pants, closed toed shoes, and no hats or hoodies in the lab! :)</p>

<p>Okay, I am the first one to advocate using the “same” wardrobe you normally wear. I usually suggest that a student add just a few essential pieces, because this will save money in the long run. However, it does seem as if you are planning on casual only and maybe too casual. I would keep the t-shirts, as long as the graphics are not over the top. Add a UA t-shirt or two. Sometimes you can even get free t’s around campus, look for give away events. :slight_smile: I would add some cargo shorts and a nice Bama cap. Personally, I don’t like when young men wear basketball shorts unless they are going to the gym. I am sure that you will have some business casual attire from your senior year (think awards night or graduation) and bring those items to college. Shorts are great but it will get cold and wet. You mention jeans but don’t forget a waterproof jacket, and waterproof boots for the really wet days. I don’t think you will find many students wearing sweats to class. A hoodie is fine with jeans but bring a dressier jacket for those special occasions. I am sure you have these other items in your closet.</p>

<p>I think the goal is to be neat, clean, well groomed, and appropriately dressed for the occasion. Casual is good, sloppy is not.</p>

<p>I’ve heard that students at UA dress very preppy, and most people dress the same</p>

<p>The Greeks tend to dress preppy (as they do at most schools).</p>

<p>Everyone else dresses in a variety of style…hippie, casual, just got out of bed, etc.</p>

<p>My kids generally wore/wear shorts and Tshirts and flipflops when it’s warm. Jeans, shirts, hoodies, and warm shoes when it’s cold.</p>

<p>I have sat in the Quad on a number of school days and the kids dress in all kinds of styles.</p>

<p>My kid wears lederhosen. It seems to be a good look for him.</p>

<p>^^
Sure it’s a good look…beats wearing purple and gold.</p>

<p>This is an old thread…</p>

<p><a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-alabama/931011-what-not-wear-bama.html[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-alabama/931011-what-not-wear-bama.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Colby, I think what you currently wear would describe what half the student body looks like on any given day. Pretty much, as long as you’re not wearing pajama pants with penguins on them to class, no one will remark or think twice about what you’re wearing. </p>

<p>My office is in Burke, and since they’re several athletes in this building, it’s fairly normal to see sweatpants walking around.</p>

<p>The previous comments are all correct: use your judgment about what the occasion is - meeting for a student group? jeans & polo/non-t-shirt. Interview on campus? at least khakis, if not dressier.</p>

<p>There are 30,000 students on this campus, and I guarantee they don’t all dress the same :)</p>

<p>My non-greek son did not change anything: jeans and/or shorts with a t-shirt is typical for him. If the weather calls for it, he will add a sweatshirt or jacket. He seems to fit in just fine.</p>

<p>@ Slippy - Your comment brought questions into my mind (not always a good thing). Considering the lederhosen and his upbringing…does he carry bratwurst in his pockets or fall back to the more southern boudin???</p>

<p>Memphis, he loves boudin. In fact, he really likes the delicasy known as boudin balls. Basically deep fried globs of boudin stuffing.</p>

<p>You can even get a boudin ball po-boy.</p>

<ol>
<li> If you’re stuffing THAT in your pockets, seek medical attention immediately!<br></li>
<li> My S feels naked without wearing his beanie w/ the spinner on top.</li>
<li> Hope OP sees the humor in us as well as in the message for him.</li>
</ol>

<p>Seriously, you have gotten some fun answers and some packed with common sense. I think that is the point. You will need a variety of clothing items to suit the particular situation. Just be yourself. Like UA Housing indicated, there are 30,000 on campus and they are all not cookie cutter versions of each other.</p>

<p>One thing young men often overlook is a good pair of dressier shoes to go with the dressier outfits. Buisness casual will require a polished pair of dress shoes preferably in black.</p>

<p>You can you make a statement with your clothing, i.e. personalizing your look with an interesting favorite item.</p>

<p>That is the point… You can dress the same as you always have, or try out different looks if you like. I do think professors like you to look awake, so I would stay away from the rumpled “just out of bed” look. Perhaps that is just the mom in me talking :)</p>

<p>My son is a freshman from Long Island. He went to Bama in gym shorts, basketball sneakers, and t-shirts, and came home a month later in boat shoes, button downs, and khaki pants. Shorts now are never cargo, gym shorts and sneakers are for the gym, and a t-shirt always has a pocket and a Ralph Lauren Polo emblem. Granted he is in a fraternity, but the change is great!</p>

<p>My jeans/shorts and a t-shirt daughter, who wore dresses only for school dances and graduation, has acquired a collection of game day dresses. Colby, I suspect your parents would prefer you not start wearing dresses, but my point is that kids can have some wardrobe changes once they get to Bama. My D is still wearing mostly jeans/shorts and a t-shirt, but she has expanded her wardrobe a bit, much to my surprise.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Pictures aerofamily’s 2012 holiday greeting card - Mom, Dad, bro and sis in their matching beanies.</p>

<p>Colby, my Midwestern son went off to UA with his (khaki, not basketball) shorts, jeans, tees and hoodies as well as a couple pair of khakis/polos and his suit just in case. Wore the business casual clothes a lot during AA and some during the semester, hasn’t worn the suit as far as I know. The only he way his wardrobe has grown was the additional of some athletic shoes in colors he would not have worn at home. You will be perfectly fine being yourself. Realize that as you mature from 18 to 22, your style may change, but that would be true regardless of the college you choose.</p>

<p>I go to a high school with the same kind of kids that make up the preps at 'Bama. No one cares that I don’t wear Polos, Chinos, Sperry’s, etc. so I doubt that you need to worry about Alabama.</p>

<p>P.S. I do want Sperry’s though, they are EXTREMELY comfortable.</p>

<p>Thank you all for the answers! A lot of different replys. I think I’m going to invest in some khakis and polos, and maybe some dressier clothing.</p>

<p>Count me in the group that doesn’t find Sperry’s comfortable and this is coming from a person who prefers to wear flip flops or go barefoot. If you plan to wear Sperry’s without socks, be sure to bring bandages with you in case of blisters.</p>

<p>I have some more “Southern” clothing, but prefer a more casual West Coast look. I’m lucky to have activities where I can generally wear shorts and flip flops every day. People really do dress in all types of clothing at UA, so my suggestion is to buy whatever you see yourself wearing and would feel comfortable wearing. For some people that’s sweat pants and a cat lady sweatshirt, for others it’s dark pants and a suit jacket.</p>

<p>Hmm. Apparently some of our parents here have been indulging in the spiked eggnog!! ;-)</p>