How do the minimum GPAs work?

On the page that lists the grade minimums for all schools for US applicants, it says for the Faculty of Science “A- average in grades 10, 11 and 12”.

Does this mean a 3.7 GPA or higher for all my grade 10 classes, then a 3.7 or higher for all my grade 11 classes, and then 3.7 GPA or higher for grade 12? Or does it mean across all those three years I need the total GPA to be above a 3.7.

My unweighted GPA in grade was a 3.63, but my GPA in grade 10 and 12 is much higher, making my average through the 3 years higher than a 3.7. Does this mean I am above the requirement or does missing the A- average last year disqualify me?

My unweighted GPA in grade 11 was a 3.63*

sorry

Oh and also they requested mid-year grades from me. Is that just something they do for everyone or would they have just rejected me already?

It means your cumulative average is 3.7 +

1 Like

Don’t forget that the cutoffs given on the page are for last year (Fall 2022 admission), so we won’t know for sure about this year’s cutoffs until application season is over. McGill advises:

Grades that are equal to or better than those listed below do not guarantee admission in 2023.

Admission to McGill is competitive and subject to availability of space. As such, minimum grades for entry may fluctuate up or down in any given year.

1 Like

it means your cumulative GPA for 10+11+12 must be 3.7 or they won’t consider your application, however admissions may be at a higher threshold this year and the higher you are above 3.7 the faster you’ll hear.

1 Like

They do not ask this of everyone. My guess is that this probably means that they expect you to be close to the cutoff. Given your 3.63 for your junior year, this does not surprise me.

If your grades in your current semester are excellent, then this is probably a good sign (but I would not bet your future on it).

I have known several people who were accepted to McGill based solely on their grades from the second and third year of high school. All were at a level where McGill was essentially a safety. Way back when I was in high school I also knew a few people for whom McGill did ask for their mid term grades. They were closer to the cutoff. If I remember this correctly (it has been a while) several of them did get accepted after sending in what were for them very good grades for the first semester of their senior year.

As others have said what the cutoff will be this year may vary. I think that you will have to just wait and see what happens.

Do expect McGill to be academically challenging if you end up attending. Plan to work hard and make a strong effort to stay ahead in your classes.

Our son was also asked for mid term grades, but he has an unweighted 4.0. I can only assume it is due to his not submitting any SAT scores. They probably just want another data point.