How do UCs calculate GPA for early graduates?

I’m an OOS student and I’m graduating at the end of my junior year. I know that UCs only look at sophomore and junior year grades. However, since UC apps were due way before the end of first semester, they don’t have my grades from my junior year. Will they only use my sophomore year to calculate my grades? Or will they use both my freshman and sophomore year? I’m confused. I have a good-ish SAT (1500+) but I know that UCs are always a reach for OOS students.

Also, do UCs look at students in the context of their high school?

I would contact UC admissions to clarify how your UC GPA will be calculated as an early graduate. Below are the instructions on how to fill out the UC application, so they may use 9-10th grades in their evaluation for early grads.

You would list your courses for the first two years of high school in the 9th- and 10th-grade columns. Leave the 11th-grade column blank and indicate that you are an “early graduate.” Also indicate that you are an “early graduate” as an additional comment in the Educational History section.

Will you have completed all the a-g course requirements by end of Junior and not just the minimum since UC admits have well over the 15 a-g course requirements? Will you have a year of a Visual Performing Arts requirement in the same discipline?

Are you parents willing to pay $65K/year for you to attend a UC since they offer little to no financial aid for OOS students? Already asked this question on your other post but you never came back to update that post.

The UC’s will review your application within the context of your high school.

@Gumbymom I will have met all of the a-g requirements. An extra year at my high school would do me little good. Graduating early (at least from my particular high school) is the right choice for me because of the classes (or the lack of classes) that are offered here. Also, I’m sorry I forgot to update my other post but as of right now, I am not considering tuition-- I will have to worry about that later. I am only wondering about admission now.

Also, the arts credits have to come from the same area? I figured that was flexible :open_mouth: uh oh

The VPA must be in the same discipline. For example, a semester of music and a semester of ceramics would not meet the criteria.

One year of college-preparatory visual & performing arts required, chosen from one of the following disciplines: dance, music, theater, visual arts (e.g., painting, web/graphic design, film/video, inter/multimedia arts), or interdisciplinary arts.

Also not considering affordability for any college you applied is just asking for disappointment. If you and your family can not afford the UC price tag for the next 4 years ($260K), no magic financial aid fairy is going to appear to help with the costs.

@Gumbymom I contacted them and learned they only use sophomore year grades for early applicants. At my school, sophomores basically only have access to one AP class (and only AP classes are weighted for OOS students) so I calculated my UC GPA and learned that it’s 4.00 UW and 4.14 W. Will it be impossible for me to get into a UC?

You are going to be at a disadvantage since UC’s emphasize HS course rigor, along with GPA, test scores and essays. EC’s will help distinguish you from other applicants and not having the time to increase your HS course rigor and develop more meaningful EC’s will impact your chances.

Go ahead and apply if you want but make sure you have a viable backup plan along with some good financial and academic safeties. UC’s are very expensive and do not expect any financial aid.

Some UC admit data:
Freshman admit rates for UC GPA of 3.80-4.19 capped weighted and not major specific:
UCB: 10%
UCLA: 9%
UCSD: 34%
UCSB: 38%
UCD: 41%
UCI: 38%
UCSC: 70%
UCR: 84%
UCM: 95%

2019 UC capped weighted GPA averages along with 25th-75th percentile range:
UCB: 4.23 (4.15-4.30)
UCLA: 4.25 (4.18-4.32)
UCSD: 4.16 (4.03-4.28)
UCSB: 4.16 (4.04-4.28)
UCI: 4.13 (4.00-4.25)
UCD: 4.13 (4.00-4.26)
UCSC: 3.96 (3.76-4.16)
UCR: 3.90 (3.69-4.11)
UCM: 3.73 (3.45-4.00)

2019 Data:
25th - 75th percentiles for SAT totals:
UCB: 1340-1540
UCLA: 1330-1550
UCSD: 1300-1520
UCSB: 1280-1520
UCD: 1230-1490
UCI: 1250-1510
UCSC: 1200-1450
UCR: 1130-1400
UCM: 1020-1290

I agree that you will competing with the throngs of students who will have completed 4 years of coursework. The competition to get in is fierce. Having only three years of courses will not bode well for you when compared to students who have multiple AP credits.
Also, as @Gumbymom noted above, you need a full year of the “F” requirement in a graded course.

Plus, you have to have the discussion of finances with your parents.
You will be paying $65K per year without any aid from California. The UC’s are public universities which are paid for by California public taxpayers. Priority for admission goes to instate residents first, whose parents have been paying California high taxes for years. (This includes California entering Freshman and transfers from California Community Colleges.)

There is no financial aid for OOS students. None. The state cannot afford to fund all of the students who want to attend California state universities. You are not eligible for State funding, which is how a majority of California students fund their UC and CSU educations. You are not eligible for instate residency for any of the years that you attempt to attend.

Also, the government does not loan that amount to students.

Don’t apply to UC schools if your parents cannot afford a quarter of a million dollars over 4 years, cash up front. You are eligible for a total of $27K divided into 4 years. That does not begin to even cover your tuition for one year.

If you were to get in, how would you pay? You can’t say, “well, I’ll apply, and maybe I’ll get some kind of financial aid”. Nope. Not going to happen.
OOS students are accepted because the state knows that these students will pay full fees.
Apply to your instate schools if you absolutely have to leave your high school.

I really don’t think you are competitive enough for the UC’s given your limited schedule and coursework.

UC application review criteria link: https://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/how-to-apply/applying-as-a-freshman/how-applications-are-reviewed.html

Hi I’m a mom whose daughter is doing a similar thing in graduating early, except she is taking all her junior and senior year classes in one year. We worked with an admissions counselor at UCSB since it is her dream school and she advised us to view her last year in high school (her junior year) as her senior year since the last year is viewed as the senior year and her 10th grade year is viewed as 11th and her 9th is viewed as her 10th. It was helpful to her as she had all As plus some honors that counted her 9th grade year (which is now her 10th). Hope that makes sense! Much luck to you!