How do you loft/unloft the beds?

<p>So there isn’t a problem fitting the desk under the bed if it’s at max height? I’m planning on putting my desk under there just to get it out of the way because I won’t use it – I would never sit at a desk.</p>

<p>my dd has hers set up like robotbldmom described. best of all worlds. more floor space, some storage behind and you don’t have to hunch over underneath the bed!</p>

<p>if you don’t plan on using the desk or needing the counter space that the tops of the desk and dresser provide, you can loft it only high enough to fit the furniture underneath.</p>

<p>Perfect, that helps a lot, I wasn’t sure how high the desk is and how easily it would fit.</p>

<p>I want to use the counter top space on the dresser so I’m hoping I’ll have enough space to not put it under my bed, but I guess I’ll have to wait and see. Oh, how much easier my life would be if I could get a little scale model of my room and play around with it LOL.</p>

<p>you can make one in a drawing program!</p>

<p>which dorm and room are you in? there are not a whole lot of different configurations that will work. one i thought of yesterday is to put the bed fairly low and then all three of the other pieces butted up against the long side of the bed. kind of like one of the pottery barn beds they have now. not sure how well that would work though. in that case, you could do that and then you could have storage (laundry baskets/plastic drawers/etc) facing out from under the other side of the bed - but it wouldn’t be visible from the door, so it would make your room appear to have a neat look.</p>

<p>If you loft your bed to the maximum height (at least in Ridgecrest) you will have plenty of height space from the top of the dresser to the underside of the bed. You could place your printer there. if you have your desk nest to the dresser that would be very convenient.</p>

<p>**<strong><em>Remember Command Hooks and Strips</em></strong>***So Useful</p>

<p>^
At DS’s Bama Bound session the lady presenting stated you could use command strips but in some cases they recommend nails. If I understood correctly she said the students weren’t removing the command strips correctly and it was tearing the sheetrock. She went on to say that it is easier to fill a hole than repair the sheetrock. Anyone else hear this at their presentation?</p>

<p>At this same presentation she stated that if you weren’t going to use a piece of furniture (i.e.desk or desk chair) you could call Housing and they would remove it and store it for you.</p>

<p>Housing said the same thing at our Bama Bound session. Basically, use small nails to hang light items. Don’t use any screws, bolts or large nails that would leave big holes.</p>

<p>Anyone know if the file drawer of the desk has a built in channel or those metal inserts to hang files?</p>

<p>I find it interesting that housing is telling incoming freshmen to hang items with small nails after years of saying don’t use nails.</p>

<p>Te best setup for a room really depends on what the student prefers and which bedroom they have. I like to push my bed up against the window with the nightstand/locking cabinet next to the bed and the desk at the foot of the bed (there’s just barely enough room to do so). I rarely use the desk, but appreciate the counter space it provides.</p>

<p>the command strips work fine if you just follow the directions!</p>

<p>Would you please tell me what exactly is lockable in the dorm room?
Do I need to bring a lock and what type of lock do I need to bring? Thank you.</p>

<p>D had a traditional combo lock that she could use on the end table/cabinet. She used it to lock up her meds & anything super valuable.</p>

<p>^ plus of course the room itself has a lock.</p>

<p>Thank you. I will go get a lock.</p>

<p>Although he did take a lock, S’s room in Riverside W did not have a locking capable cabinet so the room lock was his source of security. NO PROBLEMS, he felt comfortable with his roommates, but as we pointed out, you don’t know who may be coming into the suite with them. I did offer to get him one of those dorm “safes” but he declined.</p>

<p>bought a dorm safe on sale before DS left for college. Here it sits unused… DS never had any issues with stuff being taken or anyone entering his room.</p>