How does a college student prepare finding a job?

@compiler and @beebee3, I can’t speak to that, only the data and anecdotal results on internships.

Men vastly outnumber women in the workforce. There’s certainly been vast improvements in the percentage of women entering Engineering and CS programs, but women still are far below 50%. That’s at least part of why they remain a smaller portion of the workforce.

1 Like

I think go getters, especially in engineering have little issue, regardless of gender. That’s my opinion - especially in engineering.

You are not sharing any details about the specific situation.

What are you trying to accomplish here ?

4 Likes

We don’t all agree.

I am also an engineer and for most of my career found it neither easier nor harder to find work and keep it in comparison to my male colleagues, with one exception: the time I was “encouraged” to quit a job due to suffering serious life-threatening injuries during the delivery of my second child, and then reapply after I was “all better again”. Almost dying during childbirth is not something male engineers have to contend with. I didn’t quit the job and have a lasting disability. But hey! On the bright side, I can get jobs even easier now as a disabled girl engineer.

There are some serious attitude problems in this thread which I do not wish to address. OP I offered advice and experience in private message. It seems you might be interested in excuses rather than advice?

1 Like

Not sure what OP is after - many have asked questions to understand but OP is giving no detail as to their specific situation so that we can understand why the question is being asked.

OP is being very secretive or coy.

PS - thanks for sharing your issue you just did. As a male, and perhaps it’s different today, I could not even imagine a situation like that happening where you are encouraged to quit over a health issue. It’s beyond insensitive to ask when one is in a precarious situation and then it’s obviously wrong for so many other reasons when you’re past the point of danger. There’s so many eye opening situations I could not even imagine - and I hope those types of situations are a thing of the past although I’m sure they’re still with us today unfortunately.

I think it is better to use LinkedIn for such task

I strongly disagree. In my D’s company there are some plants that have fewer than 10% women. Her first rotation had a grand total of 3 women in any position throughout the site. In no site are the majority women. Not even close.

My h’s company hires many new engineers. They want good communicators, people who fit their collaborative culture, are smart, and are go getters. And of course students with work experience. Zero to do with gender and more about students who took the time to build the right experiences as an undergrad.

1 Like

OP - in other threads you mentioned shadowing hours and MCAT. If you have a student interested in going to med school they should be talking to their pre health department about doing shadowing, volunteering and research. It’s a much different path than engineering internships.

As others have asked, knowing your child’s major and end goal would be very helpful. You are not going to get good responses until you do do. Engineering internships are not what is helpful for med school applicants. And a pure science major is not going to get an engineering job in a gap year, and that wouldn’t help anyway.

My D’s friends who are in med school or who are going next year, worked in labs, both on and off campus, volunteered at places like the VA, shadowed, got published, were medical assistants, EMTs, etc……

3 Likes

Women outnumber men in engineering? I hope this was a tongue in cheek comment.

1 Like

This.

1. What field is your child entering?
  2. What have they done themselves already in terms of this job search?
  3. What jobs have they had during college either during the academic year or in the summers.

The answers to these three very simple questions will help provide answers. Really…until they are answered, this thread is going to continue to go around in circles.

1 Like

As a tech hiring manager, I do not.
We do try to cast a wider net and run outreach programs to get more women candidates to apply. But we don’t “lower the bar” or actively bias our selection process to favor women.

1 Like

Does casting a wider net and the outreach programs result in more women hired (not just interviewed)? Why not run separate recruiting/hiring for women, as many of the banks do for IB/wealth management/other analyst type roles?

Neither am I, so closing the thread since it’s going in circles and the OP’s question has been answered

1 Like