How does accepted off of waitlist work?

If I get off of a waitlist in a college, how does it work if I already paid deposit to another college ? I read I need to email the college I paid the deposit too, but is there any order I have to do it in? Can I accept my offer from waitlist first , and uncommit second, or do I have to wait for confirmation from my deposit college? And do I just send email to admissions office?

I looked on my college website but nothing’s there.

You can accept the offer from the WL school prior to notifying your first school of your intent to withdraw so you can make sure everything goes smoothly before withdrawing. The key is to actually send written notice of the withdrawal. You do not need to wait for confirmation of the withdrawal. Some schools will acknowledge it and some won’t.

Also, just be aware, you will not receive a refund of the deposit you placed with your first acceptance.

4 Likes

When my D did this, she paid the deposit to the new school and immediately notified the prior school that she would no longer be attending. She emailed the general admissions email as well as the regional rep for her area.

The college did emial back to acknowledge, and asked where she was going. They were nice about it. I expect they track these things for their own information. If you like, you can include the new college you will attend. And no, she didn’t get back the deposit.

4 Likes

Our experience was exactly the same as @Lindagaf 's. We wanted to be sure that the deposit and enrollment had been processed at the WL school before withdrawing from the original school, just to avoid administrative snafu stress.

4 Likes