How does one compare nursing programs and how if at all does ranking matter?

<p>

Aren’t the sizes of the clinical classes restricted by a certain ratio of students to instructors? IOTW - is it possible to have 30 students per instructor or are ALL clinical classes held to a maximum of say 12 to 1…or less? I disagree that the “more prestigious hospital/colleges tend to have larger classes”. At least not larger clinical classes.</p>

<p>Aglages - I meant classes in the larger sense, i.e. a nursing class of 200 rather than 50 (per year). In either case, you need to check on how many students are in a group during a clinical rotation. A group of 5 or 6 being better than a group of 10 to 12. Sorry that wasn’t clear.</p>

<p>Holy Family University is in northeast Phila. and has direct entry nursing. I just read an article that they are seeking to get control of a city-owned parcel near their main campus to add nursing dormitories and to build an assisted living facility that would provide convenient clinical experiences for their students.</p>

<p>I don’t know anything about the college referenced in the above post. However, please be very very careful of for-profit colleges. There are some good ones, but most are not. They often have very low graduation rates (data is available from the U.S. Dept. of Education), and extremely high student debt levels. Some have been known to direct students to very high interest rate private lenders, and to try to hide the true costs of those loans. </p>

<p>Many for-profits exist mainly to soak up Pell grants, VA benefits and federal loans. Students at less reputable for-profits often find that their credits are not accepted by other colleges. </p>

<p>Often the same education that is available at a for-profit college is available at a community college, for a fraction of the cost.</p>

<p>One for-profit had 200 people working to recruit students, and only one employee to help the graduates find jobs. Another for-profit bought the name and assets of a nearly-bankrupt religious college and used that bankrupt college’s accredition to issue a huge increase in the number of online degrees.</p>

<p>The favorite trick is to claim “accredition” by an organization that sounds official. However, it may be a phony accredition organization that no one else recognizes.</p>

<p>The ad was deleted. thanks, moderators.</p>

<p>Hi shwbridge…where did ur daughter decide to go…my sister is in a similar situation where i want her to come here to boston but she wants to study in ontario canda…she got accepted to many ontario schools but she does not know which one is better than the other do you have any inputs</p>

<p>mjaffs, I have sent you a PM.</p>

@mjaffs‌ and @shawbridge‌ , any thoughts on Canadian Nursing pgms? My daughter is a dual citizen and she is applying to Western but wants to apply to more. I was thinking Ryerson. Need a safety in the bunch, as these schools require HIGH grades. Thanks!

@nancy211005, my recollections are three plus years old. I spoke with a relative who taught nursing in BC and she told me that Queens, U of Toronto, Western and York were good and that Ryerson was very good but more hands-on. There were also a lot of schools that you could go to a nursing feeder program at a college that guaranteed you admission to a university to get your BSN. I think it was two years at the college and then two years at the university. One could be admitted to Ryerson directly or to George Brown or Centennial Colleges and automatically continue at Ryerson. I have the feeling that McMaster is good in health stuff generally but don’t remember if it was on ShawD’s radar screen.

@shawbridge‌ thank you!