How does Purdue compare to Virginia Tech?

My son was accepted to both schools, we were able to tour Virginia Tech, but because of coronavirus, we were not able to tour Purdue. How are they similar / different?? Would love to hear some good/bad.

My son was accepted as a First Year Engineering at both.

My D is a second year engineering student at Purdue. I can’t compare the two as VT wasn’t on her list, but she’s been having an amazing experience at Purdue. No negatives to report. Do you have any specific questions I can answer for you about Purdue?

Some things to think about when trying to choose a school:

Are they roughly the same cost for you?

Is one easier than the other to travel to?

Has your son looked through the 4 year plan of study for his intended major?

AP/DE credit differences?

Are there differences in the transition to major process in terms of GPA threshold?

How do the co-op/internship opportunities stack up? What are the industry ties?

My son has narrowed down his choices to these two schools too. They seem very similar, especially with the FYE at both schools. We are from Northern VA and I think the big differences that we are considering are the cost (about $15K more at Purdue). distance (10 hours or 4), and if he wants to know anyone. (usually about 30 kids go to Tech from his high school each year). Purdue also draws nationally - 48% OOS. Top OOS are Illinois, CA, and TX. I think my son will be happy at both schools and continue to be impressed by both during the decision phase. He plans to make a decision this weekend, so he can apply to the Learning Communities.