How does the ELC work?

<p>I got a letter in the mail giving me an ELC ID number. Do I find out which UC’s will accept me before or after I apply?</p>

<p>UCSB, UCI, UCD, UCM, and UCR guarantee acceptance to ELC designated students. UCSD gives points to those designated ELC (300 I think) but admission is not guaranteed. UCLA and UCB do not guarantee admission to ELC designated students, although they do consider your ELC designation. Apply to any that you are interested in attending and put the ELC number on your application. Good luck.</p>

<p>^^ yep momfirst3 is absolutely correct (and yes 300 points for UCSD is also correct :slight_smile: )</p>

<p>don’t some of those UC’s say you’re not guaranteed for certain majors though (such as engineering)?</p>

<p>^^^ Yes, guaranteed admission to a certain major is not given. You are guaranteed admission to the university, not to the major of your choice.</p>

<p>^Except UCD. The UCD letter said that admission is guaranteed to all majors.</p>

<p>^BUT, Unlike UCD, the UCSB postcard didn’t guarantee major, only admittance.</p>

<p>Good catch! My son’s a freshman this year and I don’t have any of his ELC letters around anymore. Thanks for clarifying…</p>

<p>what if i put my major as undecided?</p>

<p>and is ELC only guaranteed if i don’t get a D/F in the next two semesters?</p>

<p>yes i think so… the chances of getting accepted with a D/F on the transcript the senior year is really low…
thats why everyone has to try their senior year to Pass, </p>

<p>although im not sure 100%, i think that they would not accept you if you got a D/F senior year, partly because it shows that you are not trying any more or something like that</p>

<p>UCRiverside postcard arrived today, stating “Your admission to UCR is guaranteed” but nothing about guaranteed admission for your declared major. So far, the only notification with wording that stated your major was guaranteed on the mail piece (assuming eligibility req’s. were satisfied) was UCDavis.</p>

<p>Each UC, participating in the ELC program, seems to do their own thing when it comes to ELC notifications-- all arriving on different days with different phrasing and different types of mail pieces (letters and postcards). If the UC’s ever wanted to save money, this would be a good place to start…</p>

<p>jshain. i agree. they could just send a long letter to every elc member that represents each UC… like UCD: congrats on getting in! we give you guaranteed admission to college and major of your choice.
and then UCR would be hte same except no guaranteed major.</p>

<p>jshain, spatel, I also agree. What a waste of money and time. The UCD letter came last week. Then UCSB and now UCR. Why this slow torture to find out what other colleges will send postcards?</p>

<p>^ And, don’t forget the UCSD letter that was non-committal and the soon-to-be mailer in all likelihood from UCI. I wonder if anyone at UC Admin is reading these suggestions?</p>

<p>^ if you think about it, they should. the although im sure the profit they get from students applying ($60 * 100000?) is nowhere as low as the money it takes to send postcards and letters. maybe thats why they do it?</p>

<p>but it would be a good way to start going green, and save all those trees and all… they could email? or maybe just send the list as i said before, or they could even include a packet of brochures for each college when they send out the ELC letters… i like the last better, personally i love reading their brochures, like the UCSD one. that was cool</p>

<p>ELC letter from UCI arrived today. </p>

<p>At the bottom of the letter it states:</p>

<p>“An applicant is not guaranteed admission into these majors: Dance, Music, Business Administration, Business Economics, Nursing Science, and all majors in The Henry Samueli School of Engineering or Bren School of Information and Computer Sciences. All applicants to UC Irvine are strongly encouraged to list alternative majors on their UC applications”.</p>

<p>Doesn’t sound like they are rolling out the Red carpet for the ELC candidates, does it? I want to major in Engineering but, since you can not guarantee me admission, I choose Sociology for my backup major…</p>

<p>thanks for all the feedback! so far i found out i’m guaranteed into UCI, UCD, La Verne, and UCR. pretty excited :)</p>

<p>i’m really interested in UCI but i also considered a major in engineering. can i just pick a different major and switch to engineering later? and am i still guaranteed even though my essay is crap?</p>

<p>Quote: i’m really interested in UCI but i also considered a major in engineering. can i just pick a different major and switch to engineering later? and am i still guaranteed even though my essay is crap? </p>

<p>It will take a little more than a bad essay to keep you out if you apply, such as falling grades, not completing “a-g” coursework in senior year, etc. </p>

<p>Switching into Engineering from another major is risky. I don’t know the likelihood at UCI, but I do know the chances of this at UCB, UCLA, and UCSD are slim to none, and the likelihood at UCI is probably similar.</p>

<p>hey, ELC is not something students need to apply for, but notifications will come to you automatically if you are qualified?</p>