How does the NMF scholarship fit with foreign study?

<p>I know my son gets 8 semesters of honors housing. But what happens if he chooses to spend a semester abroad? Does the housing portion of the scholarship transfer? (I know about the 2k allowance for foreign study, but am wondering about the housing.)</p>

<p>Also, if he takes a semester abroad, can he plug back into honors housing upon his return without any problem? Somebody please edumacate me.</p>

<p>The housing scholarship does not apply housing that is not owned/leased by UA or its subsidiaries and thus does not transfer to study abroad, Greek, or most off-campus housing.</p>

<p>Students are generally able to return to honors housing after a study abroad or co-op.</p>

<p>As an OOS student, one semester of tuition is about $11k…that is usually enough to cover all costs for a semester abroad…including housing.</p>

<p>Now I’m really confused.</p>

<p>Does the tuition portion of the scholarship transfer to foreign study? If it doesn’t, then a kid who wants to spend a semester abroad basically forfeits an eighth of his scholarhip. </p>

<p>If I am missing something, let me know.</p>

<p>The tuition portion of a scholarship does transfer. What m2ck was meaning was that UA will write the student a check for the value of their scholarship to be used towards study abroad. For OOS students, this means that they will often have enough money left over to pay for housing and other costs if they choose to attend a program with a fixed tuition charge. Be aware that UA offers some exchange programs where students pay the same tuition as they would at UA. For OOS students on scholarship, these programs would potentially cost them a couple thousand extra if they did the exchange rather than directly enrolling at the foreign university and getting a check from UA instead. I know that one of UA’s exchange programs costs roughly $11,000 for tuition per semester if one is an OOS student, but directly enrolling at the foreign university costs around $6,500 for tuition per semester. Other programs differ, but that is why I recommend that students, particularly OOS students, research program costs before deciding that they have to do a specific program, especially if that program is in a popular locale with lots of different study abroad options.</p>

<p>*Now I’m really confused.</p>

<p>Does the tuition portion of the scholarship transfer to foreign study*</p>

<p>Yes, which is why I wrote that the $11k of OOS tuition will likely cover all semester abroad costs. For instance, if the “abroad school” charges $5k a semester, then your child will have $6k left to pay for room, board and travel.</p>

<p>Thanks, y’all. Junior badly wants to spend a semester in Rome. This is food news.</p>

<p>* This is food news.*</p>

<p>Hopefully, he’ll have the funds to enjoy new food.</p>

<p>Ha. Sorry. Typing on an iPad. “Good news.”</p>