How Does This Work?

<p>Purdue is a Top 10 Computer Science/Computer Engineering/Engineering in general school, yet it accepts 72% of applicants, it's middle50 SAT is between 1510 and 1870, and the average HS GPA is 3.5.</p>

<p>I don't get it - how can a school which accepts such poor applicants be ranked ahead of all these tougher-entrance schools? It's a massive turnoff (the type of students they accept), but look at the education ranks. How does it work out like this?</p>

<p>Admission isn’t just numbers, I’m guessing.</p>

<p>well, the school of engineering middle 50 act is 28-32 which equates to a much higher sat score than you have reported above. also, yes, the school is weak outside of science and engineering. with that being said, the scores of those who don’t transfer out of engineering are much higher than the admitted since engineering encompasses some of the most rigorous coursework offered at the undergraduate level. i’m sure if you stick it out for four years of purdue engineering, you will be surrounded by some high-caliber students who are motivated and do very well</p>

<p>Gotcha, that makes sense einstein10. You say the middle 50 ACT is 28-32, but where did you find those numbers? I’m looking all over cs.purdue.edu, ece.purdue.edu, and engineering.purdue.edu . I can’t find those stats.</p>

<p>they gave us those stats when i visited in april of 2009</p>

<p>Also, there’s a joke that goes around at Purdue Engineering: “It’s easy to get in, it’s hard to get an actual degree”. Even admission in Engineering isn’t that incredibly hard (I got in :stuck_out_tongue: ). But the coursework is incredibly hard and many students do eventually transfer out of it</p>

<p>“It’s a massive turnoff (the type of students they accept)”</p>

<p>With that kind of attitude - you’re bound to have an interesting life. Good luck to you, you’ll need it.</p>

<p>einstein is correct but purdue has a good business school as well. engineering just over shadows the other schools so they arent recognized. My bro did mechanical engineering at purdue, graduated in 4 years with a 3.0. He told me that a person better be ready if they;re going to major in engineering, it demands lot of time and dedication.</p>

<p>Grcxx3, how did the visit go?</p>

<p>Balthezar - haven’t gotten a full report. They get back this afternoon, so after a good “de-briefing” I will post on the other thread.</p>

<p>the average SAT for this 2006 freshman engineering class was 1262. Considering that engineering weeds out a whole lot of these students, you can see why Purdue gets a quite high ranking. Dont come in thinking because you got in that you can get a degree, you have to work your butt off for it.</p>

<p><a href=“Overview - School of Engineering Education - Purdue University”>Overview - School of Engineering Education - Purdue University;

<p>The saying goes, “Its hard to get in and even harder to get out”. Its a public school so they cant be as snobby with admissions as say MIT.</p>

<p>Do you guys think the Computer Science school is as selective? I take it you apply to the school right? Not the college in general (so you put on your application: applying to school of Engineering and they send you back something saying In to School of Engineering OR In to Purdue but Rejected at School of Engineering).</p>

<p>slightmanifesto…i thought the same thing when i first got into purdue…needless to say, i think about 2/3 of the people who start their first day as a freshman end up getting a degree from purdue in 6 years…and most of these aren’t even in the majors they started in.</p>

<p>out of the people i knew at purdue, i would say about 20-25% actually got a degree in their major. the rest either transferred to another school or transferred to another major or just failed out of college. so if you say it’s a turnoff for them to accept so many people, just know that you could easily be one of those people who fails to get a degree from purdue. my freshman year, everyone was telling me how they were an engineering major. by my soph year, half of those people had either failed out or switched to another major. by my jr year, the half that made it thru frosh year engineering switched to another major. so yeah…that’s why purdue graduates are actually valued in the workplace…b/c the ones who get thru the curriculum are the cream of the crop. ditto with a management major to a lesser extent. pharmacy ranks up there with engineering. liberal arts degree from purdue is very easy in my opinion.</p>

<p>slightmanifesto: If you are engineering…go to U of Michigan or U of IL for much more diverse, competitive and higher ranked student body, but OOS is very costly…Purdue is considered a bigger bang for the buck???</p>

<p>balthezar, haven’t seen you around on U Mich lately…has your s made his decision? How did your visits go? Have you ruled out MICH?? We are still anxiously awaiting the scholarship and fin aid package. All the best!!</p>

<p>Little. The financial aid is what I’m waiting for too. I skim the sites, but there’s not much to say. I definitely haven’t ruled out Michigan, and my son and I visited on 2/15.</p>

<p>You are right not much left to say…just the waiting game now for both private and school linked fin aid/scholarships. Do you have a top pick if $$$ was a non issue??? As I recall you also visited Notre Dame. A different feel from the rest I suspect…any thoughts??</p>

<p>Notre Dame is an outstanding environment for learning. If my son was interested in a business degree, Mendoza is top notch. For engineering, even though I’m sure he’d get much more personal nurturing and individualized attention, I doubt that the cost can justify the expense. The quality of the degree, and the alumni network also affect the value proposition since they are second to none. I doubt it will be enough for me to take on the additional expenses associated with it, however.</p>

<p>Michigan, overall is definitely a notch above Illinois and Purdue just in case my son changes his mind about engineering. I’d send him there for the top-notch education evident across the educational spectrum, from engineering to letters and science. It’s OOS Notre Dame-like cost structure makes it unlikely that my son will be attending, since the other two candidates offer top notch experiences in his selected field of study, engineering.</p>

<p>Purdue offered the trustee’s scholarship, which beings its OOS costs into the range of the instate fees that my son can take advantage of if he attends UIUC. We just got back from a Purdue visit, and liked the fit by the way. The Purdue’s for Me presentation was top-notch, and our tour of both the dorms and the food courts, as has been previously touted, was also very nice comparatively speaking to the other institutions we have already visited.</p>

<p>UIUC, being instate, is our top choice at this point. It’s a top notch engineering school, and it’s business school is also highly rated. Its tuition is fixed for 4 years, but the state’s fiscal state is precarious, but then most states are experiencing fiscal issues at this point. I also like to “certified private housing” option available at UIUC. For an extra 3K per year, my son gets a private room in a “4 bedroom suite” with a shared bathroom.</p>

<p>Finally, because I’m affiliated with a sister campus of Urbana, I get a 50% tuition waiver. So even though we’ve visited all the schools that he’s been admitted to, they’d have to be REALLY special to put them in competition. Having said that, however, Purdue, because my son is interested in Aerospace Engineering, is making the final decision a close race at this point.</p>

<p>If money wasn’t an issue, Michigan, Purdue and UIUC would be neck-to-neck at this point. I suppose Notre Dame would be right there too, but, even though it’s Notre Dame, I just didn’t feel that its Engineering program lived up to the schools reputation during our visit. I did get that feel, by the way, when we took the aerospace tour at Purdue.</p>

<p>If I had to make the decision today, I’d go UIUC, in state with the 50% tuition waiver, but, if he ran into any problems, Purdue would be a transfer option.</p>

<p>Is Computer Science easier to get into than Computer Engineering?</p>