How easy is it to earn multiple majors/certificates across different departments?

<p>I was admitted to the L&S Honors Program and looking to pursue a computer science major. However, I would also like to earn another major or certificate from the School of Business or the College of Engineering and I'm wondering how easy the process for doing that is.</p>

<p>It shouldn’t be bad, depending on how related the areas of study are.
If you really want, you can also take extra semesters. </p>

<p>@waitwut: I’m interested in computational finance, or at least applying computer science to business/finance concepts. And I don’t think I want to take extra semesters, however I do have plenty of AP credits. How much would that help?</p>

<p>You are talking about different schools/colleges, not departments within a school/college. Ask your SOAR advisor for specifics and/or email the departments of interest.</p>

<p>If you want a minor, you shouldn’t have a problem. If you want to double major, your best bet would be AP scores and summer school.</p>

<p>UW does not have minors. Students have the opportunity to get certificates – but those are not generally departments in which one could otherwise major. So, a History major could get a certificate in European Studies, or Classical Humanities. But you cannot get a certificate in Poli Sci or English. There is a certificate from the B school for non- B school students. Spend some time on the website to get a feel for requirements across colleges. </p>

<p>As for double majoring, it takes some planning but is quite do-able. My UW student is a double major and in the Honors program. He had some AP/IB credits going it, but the biggest burden has been getting 12 science credits for L&S breadth. With careful planning, a student can double major – looks like my kid may have a semester where he takes 2 courses in his second major instead of 1, but otherwise manageable. </p>

<p>It is very doable. My daughter, a sophomore, is double majoring in Strategic Communications (School of Journalism) and International Studies (Letters and Sciences). She would also be able to get a certificate in Italian if one was offered, but unfortunately it isn’t. She came in with around 15 AP credits and some retro credits in Italian. Many freshman start with much more. She plans to graduate on schedule and is doing a semester abroad as well.</p>