How exactly do they verify your EC's?

<p>they say that the UC’s check 10% of the admitted students’ EC’s to make sure that they’re telling the truth. but how exactly do they do this? most ec’s, awards, and such things can’t really be proven on paper. the only thing they can really tangibly check is one’s community service hours. other than that, what can they do?</p>

<p>i’m not saying anyone should actually lie on their apps or anything, but i’m just wondering how they can actually check whether you were actually involved in or accomplished whatever you said you did</p>

<p>My college counselor said that they check 10% of the applications by calling the schools. They call the schools, ask for the relevant teacher of the club or activity and verify it that way.</p>

<p>For CS, they make you get a copy of your CS hours and send it over somehow. That would probably be the worst one OO:;</p>

<p>From another website

[quote]
This is Why You Don't Lie on Your UC Application</p>

<p>According to the Wall Street Journal (April 6, 2007), the University of California System randomly audits about 10% of its freshman applicants to verify grades, extracurricular activities and other information mentioned in the personal statement. Other colleges, including Harvard, have implemented background checks for their admission process.</p>

<p>Information I dug up from the UC web site regarding the verification process:
In addition to the post-admission verification, the University conducts a pre-admissions verification with a random sample of applicants, who are notified in early January that they must submit verification documents in order to be considered for admission. Applicants may be asked to verify an item from one of the following application sections: Awards/Honors, Extracurricular Activities, Community Service, Educational Participation Programs (formerly Special Program Participation), Work Experience, Academic History and the Personal Statement. Falsification is the basis for a denial or revocation of admission to the University. Failure to submit the required documentation by the deadline will result in applications being withdrawn from further admission consideration at all campuses.
And remember:
It is important that applicants complete the Academic History thoroughly and accurately. Students should use grade reports, transcripts and the high school's UC-certified course list; they should not work from memory. Any information that changes after the application is submitted should be reported immediately to the admissions office at each campus to which the student has applied.</p>

<p>Applicants should be reminded that the information on the record will be verified following receipt of the official high school transcript and required test scores. If the University finds any information to be incomplete or inaccurate, the student’s admission to or enrollment in the University may be jeopardized.

[/quote]
</p>