How fun is Purdue?

<p>I have been accepted into Purdue and I was wondering if you will be able to have fun on the weekends. I know people have brought this up in other forums. I want to go Greek and I want to play intamural sports also. I have heard West Lafayette can be boring, but you are there to learn, right?</p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<p>Of course you will be able to have fun on the weekends. The greek life is one of the largest in the nation and there are lots of intramural sports. West Lafayette itself doesn’t have many attractions but it’s a college town so there will be plenty of college people for you to mingle with.</p>

<p>As long as you are social you should be fine. Joining organizations and going Greek should help your social life. Intramural is quite big here and fraternities take it very seriously so it’s a win win situation for you. The city of West Lafayette revolves around Purdue, imho. The neighboring city of Lafayette has nothing to really offer other than restaurants and a crappy mall.</p>

<p>My biggest regret what how much I missed (Aeronautical Engr). But if you can’t amuse yourself on that campus you need a social self examination. Just a few: concerts, frat/srat events, b10/11/12 football, basketball and all other sports, corec: raq ball, squash, pick up bball, natatorium, golf(love the south course), personally I always liked lafayette (knickerbocker, sgt prestons) and you can always drive an hour to indy for pro sports(I resorted to this maybe 5 times in 4 years.). Throw in actually going to school and you will find four years pass in a heart beat.</p>

<p>Don’t they have a no alcohol on campus policy? That would kinda suck for weekends. =(</p>

<p>You can’t drink in the dorms. That’s a big no no. And you technically aren’t supposed to drink in the fraternities if you’re under 21. In reality, there is alcohol everywhere. It may not be “allowed” but, it’s college. Weekends are a blast, don’t worry.</p>

<p>A big YAY for no alcohol!</p>

<p>I’m worried about feeling claustrophobic in the town.</p>

<p>I mean, I grew up in a very small town (heck, it calls itself a “village”), but I live in California so I could always drive to L.A., Santa Barbara, Anaheim, and a number of other places where there are fun things to do and see. </p>

<p>Is it difficult living in Indiana, way out in the boonies?</p>

<p>Sometimes it does suck going to school in the boonies. People always ask me what there is to do around Purdue, is there a lake? park? Nope. There is the Wabash river but no one in their right mind would go play in it. People go to Indianapolis or Chicago to “escape” or go shopping (the mall here is absolutely terrible), or go home (which I always think is lame, but it’s common freshman year). But there’s lots to do on campus so it’s really not that bad most of the time.</p>

<p>Also, having a car on campus, if possible, will make your life a whole lot better in my opinion…being car-less is a depressing/limiting/isolating thing at times.</p>

<p>"Don’t they have a no alcohol on campus policy? That would kinda suck for weekends. =( "</p>

<p>Dude really? Its college</p>

<p>Is there a flying school or some place to fly R/C planes around the campus? (lol, I know this is a specific question, but someone might have a specific answer)</p>

<p>There is the Purdue Airport on campus where the aviation students take out the planes for flying hours, practice, class, etc. And yeah, there’s space for R/C planes (intermural fields), which I’m assuming are those little plane things. However, you probably can’t just fly them around the academic campus…too many people and that’d be dangerous.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Well, at least it’s livable, then… Thanks for the reply. :)</p>

<p>dixie03, does the university have a flying minor? I am currently a private pilot student and would like to keep on flying when I finally get to Purdue.</p>

<p>All I know of is the Purdue Aviation club/Purdue Pilots Inc [Purdue</a> Pilots, Inc.](<a href=“http://cobweb.ecn.purdue.edu/~ppi/]Purdue”>http://cobweb.ecn.purdue.edu/~ppi/) I’m not exactly sure how it works, or if they’ll let you fly by yourself. It looks like you have to become a member and pay dues and then you may be able to fly by yourself? Not completely sure, it’s something you’d have to look into.</p>

<p>^That’s great news for me! Thank you so much ;)</p>

<p>The Lafayette Cloud Jockeys is a very active RC club in Lafayette.</p>

<p>^Awesome! Looking forward to meet the club.</p>