How Generous Is UM with Scholarships/Financial Aid?

<p>Hey
I'm a high school junior right now and want to go to UM.
I actually live in South Florida but would like to live on campus since it would take too long to go every day back and forth.</p>

<p>But $40,000+dorms would be TOO MUCH.</p>

<p>I have a 4.5 GPA, 3.5 Unweighted, good extracurriculars, and am getting 1900 on the PRACTICE SAT's. Im taking it next month and will probably improve that.</p>

<p>So is there any chance of me getting a full scholarship?
What kind of scholarship did you receive?</p>

<p>Gotta do better than that SAT score for a full scholarship, but with your GPA, and assuming everything else is in place (extracurriculars, recs, etc.) you could definitely get a full scholarship/24k if you pull up your SAT to 2000/2100+.</p>

<p>I had a 3.8 and 1980/1340 with a ridiculous amount of EC’s, really good recs (was best friends with all my teachers! geeky me…) and got a 16k. Note that since you’re in Florida you also get FRAG + Bright Futures, and the federal government may help you even more. You can also apply for additional, outside, scholarships, which is what really helped me.</p>

<p>So a full scholarship is 24k? How so?</p>

<p>And yea. I plan on getting my SAT score up from the practice tests. I have improved with every practice I’ve taken.</p>

<p>The slash in this case meant “or”. With total expenses, UM actually costs somewhere near $40,000. However, now that I do think of it, with all the Florida scholarships you’ll get, a $24k and Singer scholarship might be nearly the same thing for you, from a practical perspective.</p>

<p>To earn a scholarship at the lowest level ($16,000.00 last year) you had to have AT LEAST a 1350 SAT or 31 ACT. Miami does not look at the writing section of SAT. </p>

<p>They also want you to have a high rank at your school and to have taken the most challenging classes. </p>

<p>Your 3.5 UW GPA is good, but not at a given scholarship level.</p>

<p>Each year the level needed to receive scholarships at Miami goes up because they only give to the top percentage of students applying and Miami’s caliber of student applications keeps going up. So for example, if the top 10% who apply’s stats are at 1400 and above, a 1350 would not make the cut.</p>

<p>I see. And that 3.8, what is weighted or unweighted? Because if with a 3.8UW you only got 16,000 they ripped you off</p>

<p>So how did you manage to pay for UM? Other than taking loans and having a job, I dont see any other way. Its EXPENSIVE. Especially if I want to live on campus. That would be like $50,000 , right?</p>

<p>So if you don’t have a 31 act, you have no chance of a merit scholarship? Or do they make exceptions? Because I have a 30 superscored but all my other stats are great and I will be incredibly disappointed if I don’t get a scholarship</p>

<p>From Miami’s website:</p>

<p>ELIGIBILITY</p>

<p>Students considered for an academic scholarship:</p>

<p>demonstrate significant academic achievement above and beyond the average academic profile of a student admitted to UM’s freshman class</p>

<p>have significant academic achievement in the classroom typically taking the most challenging curriculum and earning top grades throughout their high school career </p>

<p>have significant achievement on standardized tests and on average should earn at least a 1350 SAT or 31 ACT to receive consideration</p>

<p>SCHOLARSHIP AWARD DECISIONS
The University of Miami takes into account students’ high school curriculum, difficulty of course selection (such as AP/IB), extracurricular activities, essay and guidance counselor recommendation(s), as well as the overall quality of the pool of applicants applying to the university each year. When reviewing standardized test scores, UM considers only the math and critical reading sections of the SAT. A student may receive only one academic scholarship from the Office of Admission.</p>

<hr>

<p>I would think there would be exceptions for URMs, etc. </p>

<p>But remember it depends on what the stats are of the students applying. They give scholarships to the top group, so it is a moving target each year.</p>

<p>I have additional outside scholarships and I live in Florida, which also gives me an extra $5,000 or so from the state (but I don’t get Bright Futures because I went to a high school outside of Florida). And the 3.8 is both weighted and unweighted, because my school didn’t offer AP classes. I was lucky, actually, to get the scholarship, because my SAT score was slightly under the posted minimum at the time. So I think my GPA did help me to get that $16,000 scholarship.</p>

<p>I was recently reading something, and apparently the average student who goes here pays around $12,000 a year after scholarships and everything considered. So what you’ll pay is likely to be substantially less than the sticker price.</p>

<p>Goblue, there are no guarantees. They make exceptions, but you may not get one. If you don’t, or if you get a small one, don’t be discouraged: there are also other options for scholarships.</p>

<p>Good luck to everyone.</p>

<p>You need to think about it from the university’s perspective, goblue. You say you’d be incredibly disappointed not to get a scholarship, but they need to be fair to all applicants, and if you don’t have as good of stats (especially regarding standardized tests, which are the only truly fair way to compare students from different schools) as those you’re competing against (they don’t superscore ACT by the way), you can’t expect them to favor you. That being said, if you prepare thoroughly for the ACT and manage to raise your score a few points, there’s no reason you wouldn’t get some sort of scholarship.</p>

<p>And dolphinfreak, I’m fairly certain that a 3.5 unweighted GPA and 1900 SAT won’t get you the full scholarship these days. I got the Singer Scholarship last year, and for comparison I had a 3.95 unweighted GPA and a 35 ACT.</p>

<p>^^^ I never said I would be mad at um if I didn’t get a scholarship I would just be disappointed. Also, this website says um superscores, might not be accurate though [Colleges</a> that super score ACT | College Admissions Counseling](<a href=“http://www.collegeadmissionspartners.com/college-testing/colleges-superscore-act/]Colleges”>Colleges that superscore the ACT - BS/MD Admissions by College Admissions Partners)</p>

<p>Thanks for that info. I will probably get my GPA up. Im putting 100% effort into school this year. My courseload is very rigorous as well. I will have graduated in 2012 with around 12 AP classes (Dont know how the credit thing works). Also the SAT score are my practices. I have NEVER taken the actual SAT. Taking my 1st one next month. So that will probably change things.</p>

<p>And I dont NEED the full scholarship, although it would be extremely helpful. I have Bright Futures for Florida Residents (which is around $5000) and FAFSA, which I dont know how it works. Then hopefully I get one of those random scholarships. The problem would be how I would pay to live on campus. I could always commute, but its an hour and a half away with traffic and it would take away from my college experience I would think.</p>

<p>Since I want to be a doctor, I dont want to get into debt before I get into med school debt, lol</p>

<p>According to this site (and many others), Miami does superscore both the SAT and ACT.</p>

<p><a href=“http://www.prepmatters.com/ht/a/GetDocumentAction/i/65355[/url]”>http://www.prepmatters.com/ht/a/GetDocumentAction/i/65355&lt;/a&gt; </p>

<p>Don’t know if this is accurate, but worth looking into.</p>

<p>I attended one of the information sessions of UM recently and they do super score both SAT and ACT</p>

<p>Yeah I rechecked the UM website and they do indeed superscore the ACT, sorry about the error.</p>

<p>could you post the link to the UM website where it says they superscore?</p>

<p>What are chances for a Singer Scholarship with a 1500/2300 SAT and top 3-4% class rank, with 7 AP courses plus 2 self-study AP exams?</p>

<p>MomPhD, assuming that the individual in question has a high GPA, they’ll almost certainly get a 24k scholarship and a singer invite. From there, it all depends on the interview.</p>

<p>Today a friend told me I needed a 1400 on the SAT to get a full scholarship. How true is that?</p>

<p>I would say that unless you get a 1400 or higher on the SAT or an equivalent score for the ACT you are not likely to get a Singer invitation. Depending on your GPA, rank, EC’s, and recommendation, you may get anywhere from 0-24k. I don’t, though, think that there is an official cut off (aside from the published 1350 for any scholarship).</p>