How hard is it at UCI to add a major in Junior Year?

My son was admitted to UCI - School of Social Sciences as a transfer student to pursue a Psychology degree. He has always planned to double major, but hasn’t figured out what his second major will be. Maybe Business or Statistics? Maybe English Lit?

As he tries to choose which UC to attend, one of his biggest concerns is how easy or difficult it is to add a major at each UC. Does anyone know how easy it would be to add a major as a transfer student at UCI? My understanding is that there are a number of different “Schools” at UCI. Our research says that at every school it is easier to add a major if it is within the school that he is already in. Given he is entering as a Psych major, which is in the School of Social Sciences, and would most likely want to add a major in another school, like The Paul Merage School of Business or School of Humanities, anybody know how hard it might be to add a major in a different school other than the one he was admitted to? I am guessing Statistics would not be possible since it is in the School of Information and Computer Sciences, which sounds like a highly sought after school.

Thanks for any help answering this question. It will help him choose which UC he will be at in September.

The best way to know if he can do a double major is contact UCI advising and the specific academic program offices. Doing a double major may require an additional year at UCI so financial aid needs might have to be considered plus each students situation may be different.

Undergraduate Programs Office
4291 Pereira Drive, SB2 Suite 202
Irvine, CA 92697-3125
ugprograms@merage.uci.edu

Office of Undergraduate Study

143 Humanities Instructional Building (HIB)
Irvine, CA 92697-3380
Phone: [(949) 824-5132](tel:(949) 824-5132)
Contact the Office of Undergraduate Study

Thanks for the contact info. I will have him call in the morning. We have no issue with him needing an additional year. We have set our budget and expectations for 3 years of university.

1 Like