How Hard is it to get into the top frats without connections?

<p>I do not know anyone present or alums in a frat there, hear its really competitive </p>

<p>I am not a boy mom, but I would suggest you search out the frat threads. I can’t comment on “top” frats, but it seems that, in general, to rush you need to reach out to fraternities in spring of high school senior year to get on the list for invites to summer events. Out of state boys are at a disadvantage in some respect because of the distance, but I don’t think that would disqualify you automatically. Frats should not be viewed as a status symbol social club. They are a brotherhood and you need to get to know the members before pledging. Even if you can’t be on campus until August attend fraternity rush events with the thought in mind that you need to feel a friendship with a number of members before joining.</p>

<p>Absolutely necessary to personally know people in the “top frats” before being asked to join. But listen - there are more than 20 fraternities on campus. Some are housed, some are not. You can get the same experience from almost any of them. Most have great students…and some not so great students…campus leaders and campus followers…old family money and no family money. Main thing is to contact the fraternities and try to visit them during the summer. They won’t pledge you if they don’t know you.</p>

<p>I don’t know if it’s absolutely necessary, but having connections especially family members will certainly give you a huge leg up.</p>

<p>I don’t know what is considered a “Top Fraternity” at UA these days, but are they mostly the Old Row houses? It’s my understanding the Old Row houses don’t take many OOS students. I would suggest the OP don’t get fixated on pledging a popular fraternity, but finding one where he would have a good fit with the actives and his fellow pledges.</p>

<p>I don’t even know what is “top” and what isn’t. But as a mother of a daughter, she wanted in a particular sorority, it was one of the most expensive, they have top GPA on campus, which was important to me, it has just opened their new house this year (most will have that soon enough). We knew one girl from our hometown, acquaintances really. My daughter was on top of their list, among others…If you have all the criteria they want, especially grades and activities, they want you. I’m not sure if sororities and fraternities are the same. We have no “money” and we “know” nobody. And if she hadn’t gotten an academic scholarship, she wouldn’t be in a sorority, because it’s ridiculously expensive :wink: </p>

<p>Do you know about how much more expensive it is than regular housing?</p>

<p>Sororities and fraternities have entirely different methods of recruiting. With sororities, everyone can sign up for formal recruitment and visit every house. With fraternities, you have to be invited, which means you have to know somebody in the house or somebody in the fraternity has to notice you and invite you. Formal recruitment for fraternities is a joke. Fraternities usually have their pledge class completed by the time formal recruitment happens.</p>

<p>One thing they do have in common - deciding you will only accept 1 or 2 houses is a recipe for disaster. There are a LOT of good Greek groups. It’s more important to find friends.</p>

<p>I think the different houses have different rules. My daughter lives in the house this year and it’s less expensive for us than once of the more expensive dorms. We really didn’t care which she wanted to do. Both are safe and secure which was the most important thing. Freshman typically can’t live in the house. But thats not to say that it’s not possible. Good luck. It’s a great experience!</p>

<p>Son is a sophomore OOS and found a good fit his freshman year. However, you need to reach out to them your senior year in high school. If you can attend events in Spring–Open House comes to mind that might help you sort through which ones are the best fit for you. It is an Open Rush process that starts in high school and continues through the summer and early in semester… If you are out of state, you might have some opportunities at Orientation–take advantage of them. Contact the folks at Greek Life for an overview of the process. </p>

<p>Factor in the cost and time as well. It is not inexpensive, but there is usually a meal plan included. Your freshman year you will switch out of the campus meal plan and over to your fraternity plan. Pledging takes a lot of time so you will need to be prepared to manage your time effectively. </p>

<p>All that being said–try to find a good fit by casting a wide net, what is top tier at one school/nationally might not be top tier at Alabama. </p>