How hard is it to get into UCSC SIP, COSMOS, etc

So I’m a rising junior (current sophomore) interested in getting some research experience this year, but my stats are pretty lacking so I want to make sure that I’m not wasting time and money by applying (besides some volunteering and placing in a state bio league, I have pretty much nothing unless you count good grades).
Can anyone who got in let me know how good they were, or the kind of stuff you need to get in?
Thanks!

COSMOS is very cluster dependent in what they look for, and a lot of it is based on the essay, so if you are interested in the clusters, you should go for it. I think this year will possibly be a little tougher because those accepted last year (the program was cancelled) receive “special consideration”, whatever that means. Decisions don’t come until April though, so it is just guessing until then. I think most of the clusters acceptance rate is in the 10-15% range. I am not sure about UCSC, but if it looks good to you, you should pursue it.

I applied for UCSC SIP and COSMOS - and got rejected from both. I am a sophomore with good grades. So, it would be good to know from people who got accepted what it takes.

1 Like