how hard is it to Get into UM ? Please

<p>Whats like the average "stats" i guess to get into UM .. like GPA (weighted unweighted) SAT ACT etc .. i know theres stuff online but i figure an actual student that goes there could give a better estimate on what it takes to get in .. This is like my dream school</p>

<p>On a side note am i on the right track in getting in ? Im a rising junior
weighted Gpa 4.0
Unweighted Gpa 3.2
My rank is 58/630 .. i think thats like top 9% ?
Male, hispanic
Over 250 community service hours
im in thespians club
Plan on participating in environmental club this year
All honors class, except 1 Ap class (failed exam so doesnt really count) and 1 regular class
And i didnt take the SAT yet but with this so far around what score should i be shoting for ? Thank you so much :)
P.s If it makes any difference i plan on applying early action.</p>

<p>You seem like you’d have a good chance. Just do more service hours and get involved in clubs. For SAT shoot for 1950+. Your unweighted GPA is pretty low, try getting it to at least 3.5, Best of luck!</p>

<p>For junior year i plan on taking 2 Ap classes, and 2 Honors classes, than in the summer (not this one but the next one) i plan on taking a dual enrollment class, is that enough is bring the unweighted Gpa up ? … Thanks</p>

<p>I’m also a rising Junior who would love to go to UM! This will be helpful to me! My Unweighted average is 3.3 but I got time to improve!</p>

<p>Yeah, I think so. In my experience D.E was actually more benefiting to the GPA than were AP classes. But you should try to take 3 APs junior year, it’s when they count the most. Try getting As in them, and don’t worry extensively about the AP test, as colleges prefer class rigor. Then you can relax senior year and take 1-2 APs. Also remember that the rest of your classes should be honors.</p>

<p>I was thinking for junior year ill take …
Ap bio
Ap calc ab
Eng 3 hon
and american history hon
I SUCK at english and history (im more of a science/math type) and than during the summer ill take D.E chemistry and if really really need the gpa boost than ill take D.E chem and math … since college math will be the easiest A ever
And now that i think bout its to late to switch into Ap eng or history since both of those classes gave summer assignments :frowning: Darn … Is my plan good ? Thanks @aares1 alot
@devonte yah pretty much in the same boat ! and im taking 2 online classes now which im basically gauranteed an A in so im sure if anything ill be at a 3.3 also :)</p>

<p>Cool! I have to take the SATs I’m hoping to get 2100+ if not I’m going to cry! Lol</p>

<p>And @aares1 when u say i have a good chance do u mean like good chance to borderline make it or like with some scholarships thrown in … i its not your place to say but Please and Thank u lol
@devonte im just hoping for like atleast a 1900 ! lol</p>

<p>What’s your intended major?</p>

<p>Aares, relaxing senior year isn’t a good idea. Colleges, especially ones of the caliber of Miami, like to see rigorous coursework ESPECIALLY during senior year. I took 5 APs senior year…</p>

<p>I would like to major in Biology or marine biology something like that lol … and i plan on taking 3 Aps senior year … is that good ?</p>

<p>Twiggy: Keep in mind that the “marine biology” major at Miami is a double major, one in Marine Science and the other in Biology. 3 APs is average, but you should be fine. You don’t want to relax, but you also don’t want to get yourself into trouble with too many intensive courses to the point that you can’t achieve in them. May I ask what your other stats are?</p>

<p>^Listen to this guy. The other advantage to the AP’s is that it can save you coursework when you actually get into college.</p>

<p>Thanks for the +1 rankinr, haha</p>

<p>I know I’m going to take some college classes in my senior year that my college counselor will sign me up for! Or even next summer.</p>

<p>@Marinebio than ill major in bio Lol ! … Well my most recent schedule which i just finished school so im done with classes was

1. chem Hon
  2. tv production
  3. eng 2 hon
  4. precalc (which is an hon class)
    freshman year (im a rising junior) i took an Ap class i passed the class with a B+ but the Exam was a living nightmare (got a 2) i would blame it on it was my 1st Ap class and i had no idea what i was doing but i was mostly lazy … umm i participate in thespians do the plays and sometimes crew i volunteer at a elementary school nearby …
    i didnt take sats but i took psats and i decided with the psats i wont study at all just to see what like my base score is and i got a 142 ( 1420 sat) i know thats Umiami’s idea of a good score but now im studying for the sats and i took a practice test and it said 1760 soo yeah i plan on going up from there to at minimum 1900 …</p>

<p>Also My best friends mom works for UM … shes not like people that decide if your accepted or not but she works for UM could she of benefits to me ?
Any advice or tips or if i should give up on me going to UM now … would be greatly Grealy appreciated … Thank you :)</p>

<p>A 1420 isn’t really Miami’s idea of a good score. That’s an average of less than 500/section, and with Miami only accepting Math and Reading your score would be around a 1000, which is very low… If your prediction of 1900 is right, then you might have a slim chance. That’s an average of around 630/section, which isn’t great and may not get you admittance depending on your other stats. I highly suggest studying more for the SAT and taking the ACT as well. It’s a little too early to say what your chances would be, since you’re only a rising junior and your GPA and class rank will be affected by your next year’s grades. What is your GPA and class rank now?</p>

<p>My Gpa weighted is 4.0
My gpa unweighted is 3.2
Class rank is 58 out of 630
But the gpas will go out ever so slightly like weighted will be a 4.1 and unweighted will be a 3.3 because im taking 2 classes online now and im almost done with A’s in both.</p>

<p>I would hope that the 1420 is just in math and reading…</p>

<p>As far as your friend’s mom- it depends. Is she Donna Shalala’s administrative assistant or right-hand woman? That would help. Other than that- it is of no help to you, in all liklihood.</p>